We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Sarah
Just Said Yes October 2021

Mom wants me to change wedding day

Sarah, on January 23, 2021 at 1:04 PM Posted in Planning 0 14
Saved Save
Hi ladies,

Long story short, my mom got her dates mixed up for a big trip she’s going on and will no longer be able to make it to our wedding. She wants me to change the date, though I’ve already put the deposit down for the venue. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Of course, I would be really hurt to not have my mom at my wedding, but it’s just ugh adding a huge layer of stress to wedding planning to move the whole date.

14 Comments

Latest activity by Meghan, on January 25, 2021 at 9:00 AM
  • Tracie
    Dedicated April 2021
    Tracie ·
    • Flag
    I would be devastated to not have my mom at my wedding. Can she not change her trip plans? How far out is the wedding? Have you sent invitations already? If it's still months away, your venue should be flexible and let you change the date.
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yeah, unfortunately it’s a very expensive trip that has been planned for years I guess. The venue is fairly flexible, though i live in an area where there is like a 2 week spurt of perfect outdoor wedding weather, and she’ll be gone during those two weeks lol. Before, it’s too hot & after it’s too cold/chance of rain. Thanks for your input, I think I’m just going to have to suck it up & take my chances with the weather on a new date bc i really can’t imagine her not being there.
  • JM Sunshine
    August 2020
    JM Sunshine ·
    • Flag
    It shows that you are getting married this June? If so, that is a pretty tall order to ask you to change your date with all that goes into planning a wedding (cost, vendor scheduling, etc.) vs. a trip. Plus, with many brides rescheduling/ booking into 2022, it could be difficult finding another date. I am sorry you have this extra stress put on you!
  • Tracie
    Dedicated April 2021
    Tracie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I'm so sorry, this is an awful situation. Unfortunately it just requires deciding which will make you happier - perfect weather, or your mom present. Sending you all the good weather vibes!
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you this is so sweet!
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We’re actually having our wedding in October! I haven’t updated my wedding wire app haha. But yes, I guess Im just trying to see like, am I wrong to wanna keep the date & ask her to reschedule her trip (that may not even happen bc it’s in a diff country and who knows what covid is like there)? I just don’t wanna make the wrong decision; sacrificing potentially nice weather on my wedding day and have my mom there or having nice weather but not have my mom there. Ugh!
  • A
    Devoted September 2020
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    She should change her trip.
  • Michelle
    VIP October 2022
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    She should double checked the date of the trip. If the weather is only available a certain time, then you have to decide if you want a wedding without in the pretty weather or with her at an indoor space.
  • Gabby
    Dedicated October 2021
    Gabby ·
    • Flag
    I think she should change her trip. I know my mom would change or even cancel a trip if it meant being there for my wedding. I can't imagine a mother choosing a trip over their daughter's wedding.
  • Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring Online ·
    • Flag
    I think she should reschedule her trip
  • Meghan
    Rockstar October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

Can’t she just reschedule her trip? I can’t imagine my mother choosing a trip over my wedding! I would tell her that you are unable to change your date and would be very hurt if she did not attend.

• Michelle
    Rockstar April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    I would have her change her trip.
  • V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica Online ·
    • Flag

Given that her trip is in another country, there is a very good chance her trip will end up being canceled, but I would talk to her and explain that you really don't want to move your wedding date and because of Covid finding a new date might not be easy because a lot of venues are already booked for dates in 2021 and 2022.

• Meghan
    Devoted September 2021
    Meghan ·
    • Flag
    Sorry you’re in this situation. I know you don’t wanna make the “wrong” decision, but you do have to do what feels right for you and your FH. It sounds like this date is something important to you. Maybe talk with your mom about rescheduling the trip. With covid, a lot of things are even more difficult with rescheduling. I hope she’s able to reschedule.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles