Planning is so much harder, and I don't think we'll have a reliable vaccine until the end of 2021 - and certainly not widely distributed until early 2022.
With that said, I'm waiting until about January to start seriously thinking on whether or not I want to push the celebration back. I think we'll still get married in May regardless, but it really depends on how everything looks at the beginning of the year.
If it's getting better and we can still dance (albeit with a smaller amount of people than intended), I think we'll continue with our timeline of May. But if the venue comes back and gives us stricter restrictions, we'll probably move the celebration back to fall or winter of 2021 which really sucks but what are you going to do.
I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that I don't think I'll have a normal wedding unless I push it to 2022 and I just don't want to wait that long.
I do not believe 2021 will be any better, maybe SLIGHTLY better than 2020 when it comes to things being "normal" again. This is why FH and myself are going forward with our small event and calling it done. We have been engaged since December 2018, we were originally getting married in June 2020 and postponed to December 2020. We will not postpone again and will not be having a "large event" but very happy with our 75 person option in a couple of months.
IMO I wouldn't want to plan for a wedding in 2021 either, if you want a "normal" event you will need to push to mid-late 2022 and have a longer engagement. I do not see 2021 weddings, most definitely early 2021 weddings looking or feeling vastly different than 2020 weddings.
I have been planning for May 2021 since before covid. FH and I had a short, serious conversation about our covid strategy just a few weeks ago - he firmly believes covid will be over (there will be a vaccine) whereas I am more of a pessimist. I told him that the line for me will be if my parents and his can make it. If not, we are going to postpone. I'm hopeful we won't need to but I have started to get asked by bridesmaids about it so I think now is the time to have a strategy moving forward.
I was scheduled for 05/2020 then postponed to 05/2021. Things were screwed in May there is no way we were having a celebration then. Buuuut since things are better and in our state weddings are back on with specifications were going for it. As long as we can dance, and be happy together with our families all while wearing masks it's cool. Our complete families have remained covid free since March so everyone's been following guidelines. It's gonna be great.
Our wedding was originally 5/30/20, and we had everything planned, all our vendors booked, and the little details sorted. We plopped our invites in the mail on a normal, ordinary Monday and by the end of the week everything was shut down. We couldn't get a refund on any deposits, so ended up eloping on our original day and postponing our wedding/reception to 6/15/21, but I'm not at all confident about things being normal then. At our elopement it was heartbreaking not to be able to hug my husband's parents and to not have people we wanted there. If masking and social distancing are still in place in June, we don't think it's worth it to spend all the money on the event we planned, because it won't be what we wanted it to be. We want to be able to see smiles and laughter and hug our guests and dance with them.
We will likely send out a note to our guests in January with the new date, but if things aren't looking drastically better by March or April I'm going to reach out to our vendors and see what options we have and if we can postpone again. We're already married, and at this point if we're going to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a big party, it better feel like one, otherwise we'll just settle for what we've already done. Our event was small to begin with (60-80 guests) so I'm pretty certain we'll be "allowed" to do it in the spring but if we can't safely do it the way we want, it's just not worth it.
If we were in the planning stages now (vs having planned the whole thing pre-Covid), I would simply aim for a 20 person intimate backyard dinner party and keep the expenses low. I think there's a chance that there will be more testing or a vaccine or really effective treatments by mid-next year, but I also think it could be a bit longer before all restrictions are lifted and life goes back to normal.
I though I was lucky, booking vendors and venue a week or 2 before covid hit, I got my dress and everything is done and down paid on. Im deciding to remain optimistic for May 2021. I only have 65 people and if regulations hold at 50 I can make it work. It's a crazy time to be planning but I need the escape from reality of only for a day. 7 months, a lot can change in that time.
I really don't think things will be different but I'm hoping that they will be a little better. My wedding with 120 guests at my beautiful venue was supposed to happen on August 23, 2020. However, we had to postpone it until May of 2021. My planning was almost complete. I had my dress, my bridesmaids had theirs. Everything was on track until Covid. At the last minute we decided to still celebrate our day by having an intimate backyard wedding at my aunt's house. My cousin is a caterer and pastry chef so her and my aunt pulled off everything in 4 days. It was beautiful. I didn't get to wear my dress but it was still nice. So now the celebration in May will be just that. If not, we will push back to August so we can truly celebrate our one year anniversary!!
I'm hoping it will get better, but we wont know more until after the holidays really. Most of my guests are out of town so I've been considering switching to an elopement package with my venue. We just need to stay flexible!
I’m being optimistic, however we have spoken to our venue and vendor and they have all said that if things are still the same and we need to push our date back, they will be flexible! Regardless we are getting married in May, even if we have to have a small ceremony with just family!
Hello! My venue thankfully has many options for us indoor and outdoor. Our venue is in pa but I am from NJ. Most of our guest are tri-state or Pa area so we are as of right now still going with our original plans and expecting any guest out of those zones or states with higher cases will most likely not attend. Our wedding isn’t huge we invited 140. I am nervous that things will pick up and get worse but I am trying to remain positive and hope for the best! If anything I will still have the wedding with only my bridal party and a few close family members if it comes down to it. At the end of the day I am excited to get married and that’s all that matters not my guest count or fancy things! Covid has really made me stop sweating the small things and look at the larger picture!
I am stressing however I am making all my dresses, and we are creating the centerpieces and everything so we are trying to buy everything in small pieces here and there where the budget has room for it.
I was a bit hesitant on planning for awhile but I realized time was slipping by too fast and I had to plan my wedding regardless. I’m really hoping things go back to “normal” by then but it’s hard to tell. My friend is getting married this upcoming weekend and her venue is allowing 100 guests.
I’m hoping all my vendors will be flexible in the case of a reschedule and cancellation. I’m hoping for the best. If anything, I would rather downsize the guest list.
Honestly we're feeling very hopeful. If anything things will just be smaller and possible masks required depending on how things start to change. But no matter what we are getting married that day and we'll have immediate family.