Diz
Dedicated October 2020

May 16 brides---what Next Due to Coronavirus?

Diz, on March 17, 2020 at 10:43 AM

Posted in Community Conversations 30

Hello, I am scheduled to get married on May 16. I mostly, want to hear from May 16 brides because we are the ones that are having weddings right after the 8 week guideline. Are you planning on continuing on with your wedding as planned, canceling, or postponing? Are you finding that your guests are...

Hello, I am scheduled to get married on May 16. I mostly, want to hear from May 16 brides because we are the ones that are having weddings right after the 8 week guideline. Are you planning on continuing on with your wedding as planned, canceling, or postponing? Are you finding that your guests are RSVPing No? Do you think they will want to attend your wedding, just shy of the 8 week recommendation? If you have rescheduled, did you have a hard time finding a date? So many questions, and not one clue what to do.

30 Comments

  • Diz
    Dedicated October 2020
    Diz ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    My question is what do you do with your vendors who you have to give your final payment? Many of them was due about a month in advance so that is mid-April. If you want until mid-April to decide what about the guests who are traveling in for the wedding? I almost just want to pull the plug now so I can rest knowing that I won't have to make last minute decisions a month out. I have already received a bunch of no's from people based on the Rona. It's a hard decision for us. I canceled my bridal shower, but if we move forward with the November wedding, I may suggest it again.

    • Reply
  • Julia
    Just Said Yes May 2020
    Julia ·
    • Flag

    Dana - we are still giving them the final payment AS LONG AS they are open to rescheduling. So far, they have all been open to rescheduling (we are lucky). Therefore, giving them money now doesn't hurt us. Also, for guests traveling by plane, most airlines are giving vouchers through the end of April. I'm sorry you have received a bunch of no's already - that would definitely push me to announce postponement sooner. Also, I would DEFINITELY still have your bridal shower if the wedding date is moved.

    • Reply
  • Brookieh
    Savvy May 2020
    Brookieh ·
    • Flag

    I have yet to postpone my May 16th wedding. We have had a few people cancel, but we have also had people RSVP yes in the middle of all of this. I am just waiting and seeing at this point. If there are no laws against it, we may go ahead even if it ends up being a lot smaller of a group of people than before (i.e. 30 instead of 80). The venue is being very flexible about the matter. If things get worse, the backup plan would be to do a ceremony with immediate family and then have a celebration at a later date, maybe a year later because everything has May 16, 2020 on it.

    • Reply
  • Diz
    Dedicated October 2020
    Diz ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I'm still shockingly getting yes RSVPs in..however. I don't think this will be over by May..the fed govt just extended their timeline. What I can imagine is the CDC won't dramatically go from 10-50-150 in a room. Many of my guests want to come and I think they are being hopeful, but I know they would be on edge the entire time.
    • Reply
  • Brookieh
    Savvy May 2020
    Brookieh ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    Only time will tell, I am hopeful it peaks by May because if it peaks and the count starts to decrease, then it should be a good sign to continue with plans. I have all these people telling me "to just postpone" which is making me really stressed. I actually told my family to not speak about it to me until the middle of April because multiple times a day they were reminding me about the situation and asking for my decision lol. I can't imagine the CDC would dramatically make that change either, but if the count starts leveling out and decreasing I think they would be able to announce that sort of change.

    • Reply
  • E
    Dedicated May 2021
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag
    My state (VA) issued a stay at home order through June 10 this week and FL (destination wedding) issued something similar through April 30. We made the decision to postpone our wedding a year. I'm waiting to hear back from all my vendors to see what dates they have available next May. Hoping to get lucky to have all of them available on the same day. If not, we will lose deposits if we cancel outright. I'll still fight it though if I have to. Such a sad decision to have to make 44 days out from our big day. My wedding dress is at the alterations shop, which is closed until June 10 so even if the wedding was to happen, I wouldn't have a dress lol.

    So many mixed emotions but I'll feel better when we have our new date. In the meantime, ice cream since I don't have to fit into a dress for a while. 😁🙃😂
    • Reply
  • Danielle
    Just Said Yes August 2020
    Danielle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    Alba! - Where are you located? My wedding is May 23 in Syracuse and my Bach was also April 30th for Scottsdale! I am moving forward with the May 23 wedding but do have a back up of Aug 1 date. Not sure what to do about the Bach either though. What is your course of action as in when are you going to decide to postpone anything?

    • Reply
  • Alba
    Just Said Yes September 2021
    Alba ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Hi Danielle!


    I’m in California! I actually postpone yesterday to September 11th. I had to chose a Friday since that was the only date that lined up with my vendors and venue. I canceled my trip to scottsdale. And most likely will be postponing that to maybe late July if things start to get better! I didn’t want to move the wedding. But there’s just no way I was going to have everything done in 20 days once AND IF the restrictions here were lifted. I have a feeling California is going to have a shelter in place until end of May.The Bay Area has it until May 1st or May 3rd.
    • Reply
  • Danielle
    Just Said Yes August 2020
    Danielle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

    I just postponed today to August 1, 2020. Best of luck to everyone!

    • Reply
  • Amber
    Just Said Yes August 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag
    Just postponed until August 22nd 2020. I hated to move our date but my stress level just went wayyy down! Thank goodness all of our vendors have been super supportive and was available on our new date! Best of luck to everyone!
    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

×
WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics