We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Kenisha
Champion June 2019

Long Engagements

Kenisha, on October 10, 2018 at 4:02 PM Posted in Planning 0 46
Saved Save

I've been seeing a lot of ladies on here that won't be getting married until 2021, 2022, 2025 - or later.

Why did you choose to have such a long engagement?

Are you saving up for something extravagant?

Have you booked your dream venue yet?

46 Comments

• Mrsjimenez馃懓
    Dedicated November 2020
    Mrsjimenez馃懓
    • Flag
    We just got engaged April 1st and we are not getting married until November 7th 2020 because our wedding is super expensive and we wanted time to pay everything without feeling bombarded by all the payments stacking up at once and keep in mind throughout each year there's always birthdays and holidays and I just didn't want to feel like we bit off more than we could chew.
  • Mrsjimenez馃懓
    Dedicated November 2020
    Mrsjimenez馃懓
    • Flag
    Oh and by the way inforgot to answer your question. Yes we have booked our dream venue and have started paying on it and have also found our rings and made deposits on the photographer and cake !!
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD
    • Flag

Our engagement will be 19 months long when we get married. He proposed in December and we both wanted a Summer wedding, and I didn't want to rush to plan in 6 months. We have a ton of out of town guests too and a large wedding (220 invited) so I liked having more time. Nothing has been stressful at all.

• Stephanie
    Dedicated July 2021
    Stephanie
    • Flag
    Me and my better half have been together for 6 years but got engaged in July of last year. We don't plan to get married till 2021 sometime because of the saving for my dream wedding plus having a baby on top of that is pretty exspensive. The way I see it is that we are pretty much already married just don't have the paper work or the band right yet.
  • Kendra
    Devoted July 2021
    Kendra
    • Flag
    We got engaged Christmas morning and decided not to discuss planning until February so we can just enjoy the engagement. Once we started looking and narrowed it down to our top 2 venues, the dates we were looking at were either booked or it just didn鈥檛 make sense for our out of town guests who are immediate family we want there. So we decided to book for 2020 at the venue and in the room we really wanted. This also allows for us to take our time and save money.
  • H
    Expert July 2019
    Hannah
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    This was our exact situation! Got engaged in October and wanted it in the summer. So we are doing july 2019. People kept (and keep) telling me that's such a long engagement but I wasn't about to plan in a short time. Plus venues fill us crazy fast here so summer of 2018 was completely full.
  • edecker
    Super December 2022
    edecker
    • Flag

We are waiting until 2020, which used to seem so far away but we are almost a year out!

We wanted a year to plan from when we got engaged, but the proposal timing (July) and FH wanting to ensure he gets into the union apprenticeship (in January, bringing him more job security) made it more like 18 months or so of being engaged. We also have to save up money because we will be paying most of it ourselves..

No booking venue yet.. At the latest we wont book until May, but we have done a lot of tours and looking!

• Alisha
    Super October 2018
    Alisha
    • Flag
    Our engagement was 2.5 years. Part of the reason was just how it fit practically into our lives, especially because we wanted an October wedding. But a huge part of it was so that we could save money to have the wedding we wanted. And looking back on this past weekend, I鈥檓 so glad we did. We had everything we wanted and it was absolutely beautiful! Booking so far in advance also meant that we didn鈥檛 have to compromise on vendors or our venue, and our amazing vendors are a big part of what made the day so great. (We also saved a huge chunk of cash by booking early because prices went up over the two years!)
  • C
    Master July 2018
    Cuoghi
    • Flag
    My advice: Dont delay for the pinterest wedding. Life happens, things change.
  • R
    Devoted November 2021
    Rachel
    • Flag

We are saving up to pay for the wedding ourselves. I would much rather pay for it all myself than have other people think they have a say in how my day goes

• LB
    Champion November 2016
    LB
    • Flag

A lot of the people with 2025 and further out work for WeddingWire. They aren't actually getting married but I guess they have to put a date on their profile.

• Arlene
    Devoted March 2020
    Arlene
    • Flag

We got engaged last month and will have a 17 month engagement. The reason why is our venue is pricey and on top of that we are the only ones paying for it. Our families may help with little stuff but money wise it is on us as we are the "bread winners" not much bread compared to what is needed lol so it is harder. Plus we want to enjoy the engagement life and I seen our friend get married within a year and she came from money and it was easier and even she stressed like crazy. I do not want that, we also just got a house last year and we are still doing additions and making it cozy. So to us no rush and we will be paying it off slowly but surely and making it work :-) If i could get married sooner financially we definitely would but it is okay. 17 months I am sure will fly by.

• Emily
    Expert May 2019
    Emily
    • Flag
    By the time we get married our engagement would have been 2.5 years. We got engaged our senior year of college, my parents requirement was that we don鈥檛 get married until we both have full time jobs, which we both agreed to so they would be willing to host and pay for our entire wedding. So that was a big factor for us. We ended up still waiting after getting jobs still just because we were so busy and started planning in January finally with a May wedding. Now we鈥檙e super close and finally getting married!
    My parents were right it definitely was a better choice to wait just because of timing for us. I wouldn鈥檛 want to be planning a wedding while looking for a full time job and working practically full time as a bartender to support ourselves.
  • Heather
    Devoted February 2020
    Heather
    • Flag
    We got engaged at the end of February this year but we both had our hearts set on a winter wedding. Since we were in the process of buying a house at the time it didn鈥檛 make sense financially to try to pay for a wedding in the next 9 months so we decided to wait. We originally wanted to do the end of January since it would increase the odds of snow at our venue but they had a conference that weekend so we ended up with 2/1/20

It was 100% the right decision looking back. Even though I鈥檓 very impatiently waiting for the day lol
  • Yami
    Dedicated May 2020
    Yami
    • Flag
    Just got engaged in August and hopefully my engagement would only be about a yr since I'm hoping for a destination wedding Aug 2019.

I would have wanted to wait until 2020 only to give our guests more time and save more money, but I honestly dont want to wait that long. I care less about an extravagant wedding that I'll need years to save up for and more about starting married life and family with my fh.

Maybe if I was younger (early 20s) and didnt want to start a family soon I would have preferred a long engagement.
  • Elizabeth
    Savvy September 2019
    Elizabeth
    • Flag
    My fianc茅 and I have been engaged since December 2016. By the time we get married, our engagement will be almost 3 years long. We鈥檝e been together for almost 7 years, so we are not in any rush... we also wanted to finish college, start full-time careers to cover most of the wedding expenses ourselves. We wanted to save up and have the wedding we wanted.
  • Kaleigh
    Super December 2019
    Kaleigh
    • Flag

My fiance and I got engaged October of 2017, and we will be married December of 2019. We chose a longer engagement to be able to afford our dream wedding. So the venue we wanted, the caterer we wanted, the dress, the everything. We thought that we were going to pay for everything ourselves, and we wanted plenty of time to be able to make smaller payments and enjoy it.

Also, because we started booking everything in 2017 rather than 2018 or 2019, we are getting almost everything at a significant discount. Our venue alone is almost $5K cheaper because we booked early. Catering, we got 20% OFF, as well as photography.

Now, we have been blessed by my mom chipping in for half of our photography, half of catering, and all of our venue. His mom has offered to help us and will be covering floral and our surprise at the end of the reception.

Our wedding is going to be one of a kind, and its going to be beautiful. (In my own opinion.) And its all going to be worth it!

• KBo
    Savvy October 2019
    KBo
    • Flag
    Our engagement will be 22 months. We got engaged in December 2017 and I had my heart set on a fall wedding but didn't want to plan it in less than a year so our date is October 26, 2019. I thought it would feel like a long time but it is flying!
  • Jennifer
    Super December 2019
    Jennifer
    • Flag

We got engaged in October 2016 and will be getting married December 2019. We had originally thought of possibly getting married Dec 2017 but after talking with Financial Aid office at her Vet school we learned just how much of a hit the financial aid package would take if we did so. She would have lost out on so much $$ that she would not have been able to finish her degree and become the Dr she wants to be so we are waiting until after graduation (this coming May!!!). I still really wanted a Dec wedding (it didnt matter to her) and I'm definitely the one with a bigger vision for the day - she cares about the food and the honeymoon mostly! The time has helped with saving and we did book our venue last December so we got a big discount. Its finally down to the "normal" planning time so I'm kicking it up into gear and planning like mad now but it will be totally worth it. And we have been living together for over 3 years now and together for 6 so its not going to change anything practical about our lives - not to mention we didnt expect to ever get married legally when we started dating because it just wasnt possible so we are already at the point that we expected to be our final state (though we would have done a commitment ceremony - legal or not a couple years ago had the law not been changed).

• M
    Super June 2019
    Mary
    • Flag
    By the time we get married we will have been engaged for 4.5 years. We wanted to wait until I was out of school. I graduate in May 2019, we get married June 2019, and I start my new job August 2019.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles