MrsD
Legend July 2019

Long Engagement - 1 Month to go!

MrsD, on June 19, 2019 at 1:18 PM Posted in Planning 0 33
Saved

30 days left! So crazy! For all the brides that had long engagements, I know your struggle. We got engaged December 2017, and will FINALLY be married July 20, 2019 after 19+ months of planning! Am I happy we had a long engagement? Yes. Planning was way less stressful, especially because we combined it with my fiance graduating with his masters, both of us working full-time, me running a local nonprofit, me working towards my certified general appraiser certification, him working towards his CPA, buying a home together, and renovating that home together! So if you are considering taking more time, I really recommend it. I had minimal stress & was able to do 95% of the planning by myself with some help from my fiance. We got to look at a ton of venues & vendors before picking, and are so happy with all our choices.

So what about you brides, did you have a long engagement or short engagement? Would you change it if you could go back in time?

33 Comments

Latest activity by Mrs. Spring, on January 2, 2021 at 1:52 PM
  • Jazmin
    Super April 2019
    Jazmin ·
    • Flag

Aww that's great. It will soon be over and you'll be able to start your lives together. Congrats!

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you! Yes, it is coming up quick! Some times it felt like forever but the last few months have picked up quickly!

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I had a year engagement which is average but I totally feel you when you said having more time allowed you to have more time to plan and less stressfully.
    Because although I had a good amount of time there were times I wish I had more.
    I've a friend who did hers in three months but she told me she wish she had more time to do things so she could do it better or research more and save money
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yeah, I agree! My friend planned her wedding in 8 months a few years ago. It was stressful for me as a bridesmaid so I assume it was stressful for the bride!

• Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

Congrats. We had (what I consider) average. We were engaged for 1 year and 1 month. I felt as if it gave us plenty of time, and was stress free. Any more time, I think I would have gone crazy with anticipation. Any less time, I think I might of stressed a bit more.

• Lauren
    VIP September 2019
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

We technically will have a year engagement but we decided on forever about 7 years ago and have been slowly talking, planning and saving all that time. We put a deposit on our banquet hall 1 year before our engagement and 2 years before the wedding date. Things book up fast where we are. I bought the ring bearer tea cup probably 2 or 3 years ago because I saw the idea and fell in love. My 5 close friends knew they were going to be my bridesmaids since before I met FH so that was a done deal. And I knew our first dance song since it came out in 2013. Sometimes when you know, you know, 100 days until I marry my favorite weirdo!

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yeah, it seems like 1 year is pretty typical! I think a year would have been fine for me if we didn't have to do so much while planning. More than half our guest list is out of state, so having more time to prep hotel blocks & help with travel plans was great too.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Oh wow! Longer than me, haha! We booked our venue, florist, HAMU, photographer, and DOC all more than 1 year out. We are in Denver so summer is super popular for wedding since some venues aren't even open in the winter. Yay! So glad you are getting so close!

• Trista
    VIP September 2019
    Trista ·
    • Flag
    We also got engaged December 2017 and are getting married Sept 2019. I wanted to wait until after I graduated from college. I'm super happy with my decision. Planning for the most part has been stress free!
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yay! Same here. I'm happy we did. Planning didn't take away from my fiance's final semester of school & graduation, or us buying a house.

• MD
    Super July 2019
    MD ·
    • Flag

Date twins!! We got engaged last June, so we had a 1 year & 1 month engagement. It went by so fast though! For me, I'm not sure that more time would've helped because I probably would've pushed it all until the last year anyways.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yay, congratulations! True, that's a good point!

• NextChapterReady
    Super October 2019
    NextChapterReady ·
    • Flag

We are in a long engagement too! Got engaged May 31st, 2018 and getting married this October! So about a year and a half which feels so long lol. I'm super ready to get into the thick of it right now HAHA

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hahahaha I understand! We had times were I didn't have much to do and it felt like it was taking forever (somewhere around 12 months out then somewhere from 6-10 months out). But the past few months have flown by, especially after invites went out!

• NextChapterReady
    Super October 2019
    NextChapterReady ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yes! I haven't felt a drag until May--once we got to the five-four months out it's moved as slow as molasses LOL I think once July hits and we get our invites out it will speed up hopefully! Although I am trying to enjoy my last few months with my name!Smiley heart

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I'm sure the rest will come SO quickly!

• Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag

Yay! We also got engaged in December 2017 and have been married just over 2 weeks now so very similar length engagement to yours. I was really only planning the wedding for a year though, because I was in my last semester of college when we got engaged and didn't want to even think about planning until I graduated (really all that I did the first 6 months was ask my MOH--who's been my best friend since 7th grade--and go dress shopping, lol).

If you asked me a few months ago, I would've said I actually wished our engagement was shorter. I'm a very efficient planner and I got most of the major things done within about 3 months of planning, and then waiting another 9 just allowed me all that time to obsess over my decisions and doubt everything, and basically plan and re-plan over and over Smiley tongue

Though, at this point, now that we had such an amazing wedding I feel like I have a very different perspective on everything because all I want to say now is "it was perfect and I wouldn't change ANYTHING" hahaha.

The last month went unbelievably fast so enjoy every moment and make sure to schedule in some time to take a break and relax so you don't burn out! I love all your posts and I can't wait to hear about your day and see your pictures Smiley laugh

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yay! I'm glad you think it was a good length. I'm thinking so too. I feel SO organized & prepared & confident that if anything goes wrong, I'll know I couldn't prevent it so it would happen regardless haha! Thank you! I've scheduled a spa day prior & am trying to relax at least a little!

• Jess
    Super September 2019
    Jess ·
    • Flag

I completely agree! We have been engaged since July 2017 and we are 101 Days away! I 100% agree that the last few months have flown by and feel like these next 3 will as well! I have loved a long engagement because as much as it has been frustrating sometimes with still being so far away it has made planning so much easier as you said! I also just graduated with my bachelors in Accounting in May so there was no way I could've had a "normal" length engagement on top of school.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Exactly! We had a weirdly busy time during our engagement so we were able to take month breaks here & there for things like his graduation from his masters of accountancy program & buying our home!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics