We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Donmonique
Beginner August 2022

Donmonique, on July 4, 2020 at 11:09 PM Posted in Planning 0 33
Saved Save
Is it best to have a destination wedding or local ? Pros & Cons!

33 Comments

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle Online
    • Flag
    There鈥檚 pros and cons to both. Pro to local is more people could come ! Pro to a destination wedding means that you could have a little vacation too.
  • Donmonique
    Beginner August 2022
    Donmonique
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Sold me on the "vacation" . 馃槀
  • L
    Super July 2022
    Lisa Online
    • Flag
    Totally your preference! My fiance and I are doing a semi-destination wedding in our state. Our location is 2-ish hours away from where we live, so it's not a local wedding (everyone attending our wedding will have to travel to be there), though it's close enough to where people can drive instead of fly. Like the previous comment mentioned, a destination wedding is a vacation! The downside is that doing the food tastings, touring the venues, etc. are more difficult when the location is far from where you are. Totally your choice, neither option is universally better than the other. Chose the option that you and your fiance like best, as opposed to what everyone else thinks you should do.
  • Donmonique
    Beginner August 2022
    Donmonique
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That Last sentence. Thank you for that!
  • Jana
    Rockstar June 2022
    Jana
    • Flag

It's personal preference and what works for you. Destination weddings tend to work better if you want someone else to plan the entire thing for you and you just show up with a very limited guest list. Local weddings appeal to other people because more guests can afford to attend and the couple is able to meet with local vendors to see their specific vision to fruition.

• Donmonique
    Beginner August 2022
    Donmonique
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    This is true , guess I have a lot to consider.
  • M
    Devoted December 2021
    mrswinteriscoming
    • Flag
    Destination weddings have the bonus of being in a location that you may continue to have your honeymoon at, and with backdrops that may not be available to you locally. Planning them however can be a little trickier.

From a guest鈥檚 point of view, I hate destination weddings because you incur SO many costs in attending them and it can be quite offputting - personally I don鈥檛 tend to attend them because of this.
  • Donmonique
    Beginner August 2022
    Donmonique
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Totally understandable considering costs. I will have to keep the guests in mind.
  • Jessica
    VIP September 2020
    Jessica
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We鈥檙e doing the same kind of thing, our wedding is about 2-3 hours from 95% of our guests.
  • Jessica
    VIP September 2020
    Jessica
    • Flag
    Last year we had two friends get married, one a DW in Mexico that only their family attended, and the other 45 minutes from us with all their closest friends and family in attendance. Neither was the right or wrong way to get married. Both were fitting for the couples involved. It really depends on what OSs most Important to you and your FH. I鈥檇 start with budget, and then make a list of the people you can鈥檛 imagine getting married without, them determine if it鈥檚 realistic that those people will be able to afford to attend a destination wedding.
  • Donmonique
    Beginner August 2022
    Donmonique
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Good Plot ! Maybe two doesn't sound too bad either. All a part of planning and conversations with the SO.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride
    • Flag
    We had a micro DW (15 guests), and a local reception three months later (50 guests).

A DW can be an amazing experience for all for it鈥檚 very costly for guests. I would consider only if it鈥檚 a smaller wedding, you know your VIPs can afford it, and you cover more costs for guests (welcome dinner the night before, negotiate a fantastic hotel deal for guests, maybe cover airport/hotel transportation costs). I鈥檝e been a guest at several, but declined several others due to cost.
  • Rebecca
    Rockstar August 2019
    Rebecca
    • Flag

It's all about preference and cost.

It probably cost us about the same to do local vs. destination, because we live by NYC, but we chose to stay local for a lot of reasons.

Firstly, we knew most of our guests couldn't travel. Secondly, *I* don't fly well. Thirdly, our jobs weren't that flexible. Etc, etc, etc.

That said, DWs tend to cost guests a LOT more, so know your crowd.

• Elmarose04
    Devoted July 2021
    Elmarose04
    • Flag

Destination weddings are so much fun and can be sentimentally beautiful and unique! I believe that your Fianc茅 and yourself should pick what is best for the both of. you as it will be a day you will look back to forever.

Pro's to local: time, distance, and more guest are likely to come. It will be in your comfort zone as well as the planning will be much more flexible. Con's: you both really just want a destination wedding and your settling for others and not for yourselves.

Pro's destination wedding: guest can travel (vacation) and enjoy your celebration a lot more because it might be a place they will be going to the first time. Everything you ever dreamed of.

Con's some guest might have restrictions to fly out to your destination wedding. I had a hard time picking a venue due to some family members being elderly and my father's heart condition. They can't travel long distances nor go up to certain altitudes so their health and safety come first for us. We picked a venue to accommodate them but at the same time it ended up being everything we dreamed of. God was good to us.

You will definitely need a wonderful team of coordinators to help you and your guest at the time of wedding for a destination one. best wishes, I am sure you both will make the right choice for yourselvesSmiley laugh

• V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica
    • Flag
    While destination weddings are cool, they are generally pretty expensive which means you will likely have a lot of guests not attend. My mother-in-law made the comment that destination weddings are selfish. I don't necessarily agree with her. I think if that's something the bride and groom want that's totally fine, but they do need to be considerate of their guests expenses. I know a destination wedding wouldn't of worked for us because 1. My parents have a lot of pets that they couldn't just up and leave to go on an extended vacation, 2. My mother-in-law as stated before feels they are selfish and she doesn't have a lot of money, and 3. I don't think my husband and I would have ever agreed on where to have it because he likes the cold and I don't. He also doesn't like the beach and I love the beach.
  • Donmonique
    Beginner August 2022
    Donmonique
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ahhhhhh good stance. Its pretty expensive so I have checked
  • Donmonique
    Beginner August 2022
    Donmonique
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Makes sense. I was curious about the extended costs.
  • Donmonique
    Beginner August 2022
    Donmonique
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    NYC is beautiful , good thinking though.
  • Donmonique
    Beginner August 2022
    Donmonique
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    & this is what I want , a peaceful relaxed vacation wedding.
  • H
    Super June 2019
    Hanna
    • Flag

Totally a personal preference, but as several PPs have mentioned, you will definitely want to keep guests' financial consideration in mind when planning a destination wedding. Our very close friends had a destination wedding at an adults only all inclusive resort in Mexico and we had the time of our lives--it was so much fun to spend 3 nights in Mexico and it was certainly the epitome of a peaceful and relaxed vacation wedding. But it also cost us around $3000 to attend...I would just potentially be prepared for a significant number of declines depending on the kind of destination wedding you choose, if you end up going that route.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles