Jess'sgirl
VIP November 2018

Kilted Groom, anyone?

Jess'sgirl, on May 16, 2017 at 11:27 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 39
Saved

My amazing FH is going to be in full dress kilt on our wedding day. He is excited, and instead of wearing his family tartan in blues and greens, he will wear a super sharp black kilt with our wedding colors hidden in the folds of the pleats. My flower girl will be 2 at the time of our wedding, so her dad will likely walk with her down the aisle, as we only have one attendant each. He is also going kilted and I think will coordinate with my FH. So handsome! Something like this, but without the pouch.

39 Comments

Latest activity by Madelayna, on May 20, 2017 at 3:35 PM
  • FaithD_2017
    VIP September 2017
    FaithD_2017 ·
    • Flag

OMG, I read "Killed Groom, anyone?" And I was like whaaaaaa? Smiley tongue. But to a kilt, seems like fun and if that's what you guys want I don't see an issue!

• LookUpTazGully
    Expert May 2017
    LookUpTazGully ·
    • Flag

LOL I read "killed groom" too! This is definitely better than that.....

• Jess'sgirl
    VIP November 2018
    Jess'sgirl ·
    • Flag

No, no, I haven't "kilt" him yet!! HahaHaha!

• FilleNouvelle
    Expert April 2018
    FilleNouvelle ·
    • Flag

Maybe! FH and I both went to school in Scotland, though we're both American. He's thinking about wearing the university's tartan for our rehearsal dinner and a suit on the big day.

• Jess'sgirl
    VIP November 2018
    Jess'sgirl ·
    • Flag

We are getting married in New Orleans, and I'm just all about everyone feeling good, looking good and having a great time. My gown is pretty traditional, but my hair and makeup will probably have some "oomph". Can't wait!

• Dreamer
    Master May 2013
    Dreamer ·
    • Flag

I read "killed groom," too. We almost broke up, after 9 years together, when we did our registry, over the china pattern. Too bad we weren't in the frying pan section ... LOL!

• SSJKarigan
    VIP August 2017
    SSJKarigan ·
    • Flag

I wish I could convince my FH to wear a kilt! That's awesome!

• RZ_ToBe
    Master July 2018
    RZ_ToBe ·
    • Flag

Glad I'm not the only one that thought someone killed the groom! But anyway, I love it when guys wear kilts. There's one guy in my town that freaking rocks it. I think it's a great idea to "kilt" the groom!

• Zaz
    Master October 2016
    Zaz ·
    • Flag

When a friend got married several years ago, both the groom and best man wore kilts (they were both Irish, both already owned them, both knew how to wear them). The ceremony was a full Catholic Mass, with the wedding party sitting on the raised alter. Imagine our surprise when the bride received the pictures back:

Bride and MOH (myself) sitting with our ankles crossed, both wearing long gowns.

Groom and BM sitting with legs shoulder width apart - wearing kilts that fell to just-above-the-knee while standing.

From what I understand, they came close to putting on a show for those in the front row. Moral of this story: make the guys practice sitting in the kilt ahead of time! :-)

• Dena
    Master April 2017
    Dena ·
    • Flag

Another person who's here thinking you killed your groom. Lol

• Erin Wood
    Master July 2017
    Erin Wood ·
    • Flag

We just went to a wedding 3 weeks ago where the groom and gm's all wore kilts. They looked amazing!!

• Ashley
    Devoted April 2018
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

My FH is half Scottish. He won't wear a kilt but we will have relatives there that will be dressed traditionally.

@Amy, you're getting in New Orleans... are you going to have a Second Line???

• Fall bride 17 - 2.0
    VIP October 2017
    Fall bride 17 - 2.0 ·
    • Flag

No kilts at our wedding but there will be a bagpiper! Kinda wish there would be kilts too.

• Kate
    Expert October 2018
    Kate ·
    • Flag

Love it! Kilts are stunning. What a fun idea!

• Espadas
    Devoted June 2018
    Espadas ·
    • Flag

Ahhh this makes me think of Gilmore Girls. I love it!!

• Jess'sgirl
    VIP November 2018
    Jess'sgirl ·
    • Flag

Oh. FH wears his kilt all the time, but it's a Sport Kilt. This will be his first time in dress kilt. But we have a lot of friends who married in theirs, so they will give him the full rundown on shirt, jacket, etc. You guys are cracking me up!!

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

I love it. I had a bagpiper at my wedding but I couldn't talk my (Scottish) groom into a kilt....

I'm jealous!

• Beachy
    VIP November 2017
    Beachy ·
    • Flag

I cant say I'm a fan of the kilt myself, however, if that is his style, then he should go for it, sounds like you both are up for it.

• Jess'sgirl
    VIP November 2018
    Jess'sgirl ·
    • Flag

Yes to Second Line!!!

• Lovecat
    Expert September 2017
    Lovecat ·
    • Flag

Yup, my groom will be kilted! He's wearing our city's tartan (grey background with navy blue, green, and red), and the groomsmen are wearing Black Watch. Bridesmaids will be in navy blue, and there will be pops of red here and there (flowers, my reception shoes, etc.). Even our officiant will be kilted! We're having a piper for the ceremony (I have always wanted Black Bear as my recessional), and even the invites are in on the fun:

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics