Taylor
Savvy July 2021

Kids at weddings.

Taylor, on January 23, 2020 at 9:53 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 1 61
Saved
Kids at a wedding? Yes, or no? His side of the family has a lot of kids, where as my side has few. What are the pros and cons? If you had a kid free wedding with a lot of kids on the family how did it work for you?

61 Comments

Latest activity by Suzann, on May 20, 2020 at 12:01 PM
  • Kendra
    Devoted July 2021
    Kendra ·
    • Flag
    We are inviting kids because that exact same issue. There really is no way for us to cut the kids especially since some of our cousins have kids that would meet the age cutoff and children under the cutoff if we were to have an age cutoff.

For the small kids i printed out some color books and bought crayons. Hopefully that will keep them occupied
  • Neeva
    VIP September 2020
    Neeva ·
    • Flag

We went back and forth for awhile.

The big con is that those with kids and out of town will have a hard time attending your wedding so be prepared for a lower turnout. This may be people you really wanted there.

The pros are saving on cost and not having any noise disruptions during the ceremony and reception.

• L
    Super October 2020
    Leslie ·
    • Flag

I’m not a big fan of kids especially smaller that seem to distract from a formal ceremony. At my first wedding, I hired a babysitter to take care of the young out of town kids. They were in the same hotel where the reception was. But one person refused and her son was the star of the dance floor - not me and my groom.

• Kristyn
    Devoted July 2020
    Kristyn ·
    • Flag
    I am definately having kids i have always loved kids and they bring a happiness and joy to any occasion. both our families have a decent number of kids and most of our guest list had children so i want all to feel welcome! it's a celebration of love and family so I want to make sure we all get together and just worry about having a great time! plus we ourselves have triplets and they are everything to me so I wouldnt do anything without them Smiley smile but every couple is different and not everyone is having laid back weddings so it all depends on the vibe and view you have for your wedding to decide what's best for your guest list Smiley smile
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    Pro: more people are able to come
    Con: kids can be disruptive and bloat your guest list
  • Mandi
    Master October 2020
    Mandi ·
    • Flag
    We did this "wrong".
    We only invited children we had met. Or tiny babies.
    One family has so many kids, that the parents and children can't sit at a table for 8. We don't know their kids, so we just addressed the invited to Steve and Michelle. If we've met the kids, we invited The Smiths.We just sent out invites last week. So far, 3 of the families we invited opted to get a babysitter. And one of these were the parents of a 4 month old.If people don't like the way we did it, they don't have to attend.
  • Marina
    Marina ·
    • Flag

The biggest con is that many people may simply not come because they can't left their children alone. The pros are all the other things, haha.

Actually, we do not have lots of friends with kids so we are having a kid-free wedding and everyone is okay with it. Still, my cousin who got married last year had a free-kid wedding too and not so many guests could make it because of that particular rule.

• Fleur
    October 2020
    Fleur ·
    • Flag
    We are inviting kids due to pressure from our parents “so and so won’t attend if they can’t bring their kids” but honestly I really don’t want to.
  • Taylor
    Savvy July 2021
    Taylor ·
    • Flag
    These are all the same pros and cons we are struggling with now. 😩 I genuinely like kids, but there is a family off of each side that has terrors for children and I know they won’t make them behave to my standard and the one family is liable to break something. Those 2 families are the whole reason I’m even contemplating and they are very close family to our mothers. 🤦🏻‍♀️
  • M
    VIP September 2019
    Mrs. Bubba ·
    • Flag
    There were kids at my Wedding.

Because, they are a part of my life.
    Some, I’ve helped or are helping to maneuver into competent, self-sufficient adulthood.
  • M
    VIP September 2019
    Mrs. Bubba ·
    • Flag
    The youngest children at my Wedding were in the Wedding as the 🌺🙇‍♀️and 💍🐻er.

Because we were serving ⚪️🍷, I put anyone under 21 besides them at the Kids’ Table.
  • C
    Just Said Yes July 2021
    Christina ·
    • Flag
    We have a lot of kids in our family but we decided not to have any kids. We don’t want kids crying at the ceremony or running around. Also now we don’t have to have food for kids to eat so it’s a grown up affair.
  • Camilla
    Dedicated June 2021
    Camilla ·
    • Flag
    My wedding includes most of the kids.... making them my wedding party, flower girls and ring bearers.... I have a daughter and she is my maid of honor. She will be 11. I have been a parent/stepparent most of my life. Kids have always been a part of my life
  • M
    VIP September 2019
    Mrs. Bubba ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    In regards to the food, it’s just like what the parents’ give them for dinner.

They either eat what is provided or NOT.
    Most parents’ usually keep a Juice Box, and snack or Sandwich stashed so that the child can eat how they need or want to.

The kids at my Wedding like to eat, so the menu was not a problem.
    I don’t have kids, but I probably have had a Juice Box in my 👜 for my 🌺🙇‍♀️when I have her with me.
  • Taylor
    Savvy July 2021
    Taylor ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Did you get any backlash from your family? We really just don’t want to hear anyone complain or make snide comments.
  • Elainie
    Just Said Yes May 2021
    Elainie ·
    • Flag
    Heck Yes! As a mom, it's really a drag that the kids can't come and enjoy family. I had a 3 week old I had to leave behind for my brothers wedding. I almost didn't go, and a lot of family didn't show up. Caused a huge fight with family and family friends. Still saltiness years later.
  • C
    Just Said Yes July 2021
    Christina ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Some of our family wasn’t happy about it but it’s our day and that’s what we wanted so it didn’t bother me.
  • Hope
    Dedicated August 2020
    Hope ·
    • Flag
    I am going to come off as a cold hearted person here but I only want my (three) grandkids at my wedding - but we have 7 nieces and nephews, 5 of whom are under 7 years old. Some are well behaved and their parents are wonderful. I’m not too concerned about them, but they have their wild moments and they are loud!

One niece always has an attitude and refuses to smile and stomps her feet in tantrum all of the time. One is a toddler and her 4 yr old sister is outgoing but her parents do not watch them well and let them do anything.

I’m older than most brides and I’m over the little kid thing. I don’t have the patience anymore. I don’t deal well with the screaming and crying and all that stuff. All of our kids are grown. I’ve never really been a kid person - if that makes sense. I may have a lot of kids but that doesn’t mean I like being around a lot of (other peoples) kids.
    There’s no way we can exclude these kids. I’d like to, because I just don’t want kids there, but I love them and I love their parents so I just need to deal with it.
  • M
    VIP September 2019
    Mrs. Bubba ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Someone will have something to complain about no matter what you do.

Therefore, just do what makes you happy and is best for you.
  • Amanda
    VIP December 2020
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    We are allowing kids as I have kids of my own and so do a few of my bridesmaids as well as our family and friends.

We will have a kids table for the older kids (10-teen) and also high chairs available from our venue for the little kids. The ones in between will sit at the tables with their parents and other people with kids in similar age. We also are having an outdoor ceremony and knowing small children cannot sit well, we will have a blanketed area off to the side (picnic style) for families with small children to allow the babies and toddler’s some room.
    I guess because I’m a mom of two and have been the nervous wreck parent at events I’m more laid back. It won’t bother me if someone has to run after their toddler, it won’t ruin our moment.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics