Forestwed
Master May 2018

Keeping elopement a secret

Forestwed, on December 15, 2017 at 12:58 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 37
Saved

I?t seems difficult to keep eloping a secret. Were you able to keep I?t quiet or did you tell people? Everyone knows you're engaged and if you don't talk much about a wedding they start to question you. My response was we're still making decisions but lately I've said we're probably eloping at some point but not giving details. Most people are going to figure I?t out when they realize we're going away for a few days. Do you think we should be upfront and tell people ahead of time or still make excuses?

37 Comments

Latest activity by rica, on December 20, 2017 at 6:02 PM
  • Red Queen
    VIP May 2018
    Red Queen ·
    • Flag

Why would you want to keep it a secret? It's not like they won't find out you got married at some point.

• KDoubleU
    VIP October 2017
    KDoubleU ·
    • Flag

Why are you keeping it a secret?

• Haley
    Dedicated January 2018
    Haley ·
    • Flag

Why are you wanting to keep it a secret? I think you should be upfront and tell people - they may be offended when they find out you lied to them for so long.

• VC
    Super April 2018
    VC ·
    • Flag

A few of my cousins did this. They didn't tell ANYONE.

Their parents were really hurt when they announced, "we're married!" to the whole family.

I'd at least tell your momma!

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

I always tell my eloping couples to let their parents know. Beyond that? You either want to keep it a secret or you don't.....

• Emily
    Master May 2014
    Emily ·
    • Flag

Like others, I don't understand why you would keep it a secret. Is it because you want to plan a "real wedding" later on and want to pretend you will actually be getting married on that day? I don't get it.

• Katelyn
    Dedicated May 2018
    Katelyn ·
    • Flag

My best friend since middle school (and my MOH) eloped and told no one. I cannot tell you how pissed I was, still am and it was over a year ago. I would have totally wished her well and been happy with her decision, but knowing would have been really nice too.

Why are you wanting to keep it a secret??

• OGJessieJV
    Master July 1867
    OGJessieJV ·
    • Flag

I've told people straight up from the beginning that FH and I will probably elope. Only one person was dismayed, everyone else who's close to us understood and knows our personalities. The fact that we'll probably have our parents and some very close friends there also won't surprise people.

Stop giving details and people will stop caring.

• Forestwed
    Master May 2018
    Forestwed ·
    • Flag

I always thought of eloping as running away and getting married. I’m not close with my family. I thought eloping was the surprise of telling people afterwards. I had no intention of hurting people’s feelings.

• Meet_The_Clarks
    VIP June 2018
    Meet_The_Clarks ·
    • Flag

A post and ghost? The only logical reason, in my mind, to keeping this secret is due to age. I could be off base, which I may be.

• Forestwed
    Master May 2018
    Forestwed ·
    • Flag

I don’t necessarily want to hide It, I thought It would be nice to surprise everyone afterwards.

• Keisha
    Master September 2018
    Keisha ·
    • Flag

No it is not a nice surprise to find out your loves ones ran off and got married.

• Forestwed
    Master May 2018
    Forestwed ·
    • Flag

Post and ghost?

Not age related. My grandparents eloped and I always wanted to.

• Forestwed
    Master May 2018
    Forestwed ·
    • Flag

Family and friends mostly all know we're eloping but no details as far as where or date

• Courtney
    Savvy November 2018
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

My friend kept her elopement secret and slowly (I mean, very slowly--over a period of MONTHS) shared the news with friends and family. Overall about half were extremely hurt and confused by the secrecy and there were some relationships lost. As always, YMMV--but this is an outcome you should consider.

• OGJessieJV
    Master July 1867
    OGJessieJV ·
    • Flag

You don't have to give them details, but a heads up that you are actually eloping and not including anyone will be good. Most people do give at least their parents a heads up as to when and where when they elope.

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

The only people who seem to be so incensed over this scenario are people here.

• Sarah
    Devoted June 2018
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

What in the world does YMMV mean?

• ToBeMrsG
    Dedicated October 2017
    ToBeMrsG ·
    • Flag

I don’t necessarily want to hide I?t, I thought I?t would be nice to surprise everyone afterwards.

This reminds me of a gender reveal party I went to for a friend. Her and the baby's father already knew the gender of the baby but they thought it would be nice to surprise their friends. Honestly, I could care less if she was having a boy or girl as long as they were happy. I just don't see the point.

• An
    Super September 2019
    An ·
    • Flag

I think as long as your nearest and dearest friends and immediate family know it is happening, you don't need to tell anyone beyond that or give super intricate details. It would be kinda weird to WITHHOLD information about it from my family and close friends - like I would tell them if they asked... ex. if my mom asked me where we were going and I didn't tell her, she would probably be upset.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics