Amanda
Master January 2017

Keep white gold or dip rose gold?

Amanda, on February 29, 2016 at 2:47 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 21
Saved

My FH and I picked out a ring--white gold round brilliant with halo. I had my heart set on rose gold, but I like all options (yellow ,white, and rose gold). But as the ring is a one-of-a-kind design, they said they can't remake it in rose gold. They told us they can dip it rose gold and I can try it for 60 days and if I didn't like it they would change it back to white gold. It's now ready to dip in rose gold. However, they called today and said they actually wouldn't be able to change it back to white gold if I didn't like it. We told them to go ahead and dip it but now I'm wondering if I should just keep it white gold ( because apparently the reflectivity of the white gold will make the diamond look bigger or shinier--my step-grandma pointed this out). Does anyone have a halo rose gold ring that they could share a picture of? Any advice for this situation? We may be able to call and tell them to hold off dipping it while I think this through. Pic of ring below.

21 Comments

Latest activity by Mary, on August 7, 2019 at 12:42 AM
  • Amanda
    Master January 2017
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

If you could share a pic of the ring ON your finger that would be most helpful!

• MaddyBelle
    Dedicated February 2017
    MaddyBelle ·
    • Flag

Yes it would help to have a pic on your finger. I do agree that it could make the diamond look bigger on white gold. I think it would look pretty either way though!

• Formal Pajamas
    Master September 2017
    Formal Pajamas ·
    • Flag

I think this is totally dependent on what you want. I prefer rose gold for myself, but some people look better with white or yellow gold

I'm not sure I can answer this, sorry.

• Amanda
    Master January 2017
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

This is the only picture I have of it on me. They are currently resizing it so it fits right.

• AussieMissC
    Dedicated November 2016
    AussieMissC ·
    • Flag

Aside from the colour and design itself, my concern is the 'dip'. The 'rose' in rose gold (and 'white' in white gold for that matter) comes from alloying the pure gold with other metals - namely copper in the case of rose gold - given the ring itself has been made, this ship has sailed as far as the metal colour goes. From my understanding, the only option is to 'plate' the ring with the rose gold colour, but this will wear off reasonably quickly and often in an uneven fashion. It's not really a sustainable option. Yes, white gold gets rhodium plated to keep that vibrant white/silver colour, but it's a big difference to fade from from rose to white (to duller grey) c/w the white to duller grey.

If you have your heart set on a rose gold ring, find a jeweller who will make it with rose gold (i.e. the alloyed metal) - it will be yours in rose gold forever!

To your actual question (sorry for the length here), I've worked in jewellery stores so have seen a good number of different styles/colours, and I'd vote to stick with white gold here. As PPs have mentioned, it will keep the focus on that gorgeous centre diamond, and with lots of smaller stones in your setting (hard to see exactly but looks like claw or grain/bead setting) the rose gold will significantly change the look of your ring and IMO you'll lose the brilliance of the stones in the band.

Long story short (!) - love the style, keep THIS ring white gold, OR find a jeweller who will start from scratch with actual rose gold.

• therightLane
    Master October 2017
    therightLane ·
    • Flag

I get a lot of compliments on my ring from guests at the hotel I work at. I love it a lot and think it's unique. However, I just want to warn you that rose gold scratches easily. I take mine off when I clean, shower, and sleep and it still has some dings and scratches. I'm not sure if white gold is the same way, but just a warning.

• BicycleBuiltForTwo
    Master September 2016
    BicycleBuiltForTwo ·
    • Flag

Rose gold plating on your hand wears off very quickly. My original e-ring was plated rose gold, and the color only lasted 3 weeks...

• FutureMrsWoods091716
    Super September 2016
    FutureMrsWoods091716 ·
    • Flag

I think it's beautiful the way it is!

• Ashley
    Dedicated October 2016
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

I loooove my rose gold ring. And I get compliments on it all the time! But like @therightlane said it does get super scratched up.

Sorry for the blurry pic but here's mine.

• Kelsey
    VIP December 2016
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag

I love my rose gold ring too. I have not had any issues with it scratching. however, I agree not to get your ring plated as it will wear off.,

• 2016beachwedding
    VIP October 2016
    2016beachwedding ·
    • Flag

I like it as is but I don't like rose gold at all lol

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

I love rose gold too, but I'd be concerned about the durability of the dip. It's very pretty; I'd leave it as is.

• Brooke
    VIP October 2016
    Brooke ·
    • Flag

Mine isn't a halo but it's got the banded diamonds like yours. I love it but I would be concerned about this "dip" process...rose gold is so soft I don't wonder if it'll look not so great in time.

Any jeweler worth their salt can make that exact ring for you in rose gold, I would just do it the way you want to start and then have it forever.

• MysticBride1016
    Super October 2016
    MysticBride1016 ·
    • Flag

Can you get a rose gold band instead? I love the look of mixed metals.

• Jlj2256
    Savvy October 2017
    Jlj2256 ·
    • Flag

I love my rose gold ring but your ring looks good in silver too

• jessica
    Expert April 2016
    jessica ·
    • Flag

I love rose gold!! Mine is, no halo though. While I think your ring would look great in rose gold if it's just dipped it will wear off super fast like Lindsey said and you'll have to get it redipped ALL the time. If it were me I would just leave it because it is very beautiful the way it is. Maybe you can get a rose gold wedding band... Or try the dipping on the band only 1st if you already have it... If you like mixing metals, I do!

• Lauren17
    Master July 2017
    Lauren17 ·
    • Flag

I would keep it as is... it's stunning! I do like rose gold as well but i'd stick with the white. My engagement ring is round halo and it's white gold.

• Kayla
    Dedicated September 2018
    Kayla ·
    • Flag

I like the white gold

• Kimi
    Master August 2016
    Kimi ·
    • Flag

I have a rose gold ring. I don't notice any scratches or dings and I've been wearing it for a year now. It's 14K, so it's not especially soft either.

I agree with pp about not dipping this ring. The wear will he uneven and you will be constantly noticing it (at least I would be). The ring is beautiful the way it is.

• AMW
    Master September 2016
    AMW ·
    • Flag

I LOVE my rose gold ring.

However, there are different colors of rose gold. Mine is actually called "pink" gold and is much more pink on my skin, versus the coppery color of rose gold. I would try on a ring there in the color they plan to dip it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics