Lynnie
WeddingWire Administrator October 2016

Keep or Skip: Cutting the Cake?

Lynnie, on May 30, 2018 at 1:33 PM

Posted in Wedding Reception 85

This week we're playing " keep or skip " with popular wedding traditions! ✔️❌ Are you going to publicly cut the cake (or other dessert)? This is a big "photo op" moment and some people even play a "sweet themed" cake-cutting song! Will you be keeping or skipping this tradition? Photo by Lena...

This week we're playing " keep or skip " with popular wedding traditions! ✔️

Are you going to publicly cut the cake (or other dessert)? This is a big "photo op" moment and some people even play a "sweet themed" cake-cutting song! Will you be keeping or skipping this tradition?

cfb_965672.jpg

Photo by Lena Mirisola Photography in Boston

Next Question: Keep or Skip: Grand Exit?

85 Comments

• C
    Just Said Yes April 2019
    Chelsea ·
    • Flag
    We are keeping it
  • Nia
    Savvy July 2019
    Nia ·
    • Flag

Keeping this tradition... I think it's cute and plus, we love cake Smiley smile lol

• K
    Just Said Yes April 2019
    Krystyne ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I'm getting a custom bobble head topper too! Where did you get yours?

• Christie
    Beginner April 2019
    Christie ·
    • Flag

Definitely keeping this but there will be no smashing it in each other's faces.

• Hannah
    Beginner May 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    Keep. But no cake in the face
  • Liana
    VIP March 2017
    Liana ·
    • Flag

We definitely kept this tradition. one of my favorite traditions. It was awesome to cut the cake together.

• D
    Savvy April 2018
    Deb ·
    • Flag
    We cut the cake together. We fed each other and didn't smash it. I think it should be kept.
  • A
    Just Said Yes April 2019
    Agnes ·
    • Flag
    Keeping a tradition alive
  • P
    Beginner November 2011
    Peter ·
    • Flag

For my own wedding, we kept this tradition. It was announced, some guests swarmed with their cameras.

As a wedding DJ, most of my couples have kept this as well. The only difference has been when it gets done. Most couples like to get the dance floor open ASAP after dinner, so we stop and cut the cake after 30-45 minutes of dancing. But plenty of couples cut cake right at the end of dinner, so there's no need to stop for it later. One couple cut the cake before dinner, so that the venue could finish slicing it up during dinner, and then serve it to the tables while everyone was still seated. (Good idea, considering I've seen lots of cake go to waste because it was served later, after most people had left their tables and didn't return to eat their cake.)

One of my couples cut the cake, but didn't make it a "public" thing. They were on the dance floor for the first few songs after dinner, then quietly stepped aside, got their photographer, and then cut the cake while the party kept rolling. This was nice for two reasons: it didn't disrupt the dance floor momentum, and the professional photographer surely appreciated not having to compete with everyone else trying to get their own shots, or having a dozen people holding cell phone cameras up in the background of every shot.

• Mrs.BowmanToBe
    Dedicated August 2018
    Mrs.BowmanToBe ·
    • Flag

We are cutting the cake! Absolutely no cake smashing, though.

• A
    Devoted March 2019
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    Keep! No real reason other than liking it
  • EllieRose
    Expert February 2020
    EllieRose ·
    • Flag
    Keep! My fiance's family has a tradition of cutting the cake with the family sword so we will be doing that! My FH will also be in his kilt at the reception so that will be a fun photo op!
  • Hannah
    Devoted July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag

We are keeping the cake cutting, but we aren't going to shove it in each other's faces.

• J
    Savvy September 2018
    Jorgie ·
    • Flag
    Definitely keeping!
  • Mrscolón
    Super September 2019
    Mrscolón ·
    • Flag

KEEPING! We have a small cake to cut for this purpose, where are guests will have cupcakes instead.

• D
    Just Said Yes March 2019
    dominique ·
    • Flag

Keep! I want the pictures! a sweet moment

• Morgan
    Devoted July 2019
    Morgan ·
    • Flag

We're definitely doing the cake cutting! We'll do a two layered cake and keep the top layer to freeze for our 1 year anniversary and cut the bottom layer!

• MrsJellybean
    Dedicated January 2019
    MrsJellybean ·
    • Flag
    As we are having several different dessert options I was going to skip the cake. Now I’m thinking about the pictures because we are cutting out so many things.
  • D
    Just Said Yes March 2019
    dominique ·
    • Flag

Keeping for the photos. Nice tradition and I think its sweet

• H
    Beginner October 2020
    Holly ·
    • Flag
    That is a keeper. No if and or buts about it

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more