Danni
Beginner October 2021

Is it expected for a bridal salon to hold onto the wedding dress?

Danni, on February 9, 2021 at 12:01 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 29
Saved

Hi everyone,

I got word from the bridal salon I ordered from that my dress came in (woo!). The issue is, they want me to pick up my dress and store it myself until it's time for alternations (in August) that are being done by their salon. They're saying that because of the pushed back weddings, their storage is pretty full, so they want people to take their dresses, but I live in a small NYC apartment with my fiance and there is no way he won't see if the dress. Both of our parents live out of state, so I would have to make a trip to deliver it to them to keep, but would then need to make a trip pick it up before alternations/have it dropped off.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought bridal salons are supposed to hold your dress for you? I get they might be full, but is it unreasonable for me to push back and try to get them to hold it? I'm just not sure if it's normal for brides to hold onto their dresses until alternations.

Thank you in advance!

29 Comments

Latest activity by Michelle, on February 12, 2021 at 12:27 PM
  • Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring ·
    • Flag
    I would explain your situdation to them and ask that they let you keep your dress there.
  • Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring ·
    • Flag
    Are there any friends in your local area that you trust to keep the dress in their closet?
  • SHY
    Master January 2022
    SHY ·
    • Flag

I've never heard of bridal salons holding dresses. Everyone I know brought their dress home once they purchased it/came in.

If it was me, I would take it home. If their storage is as full as they say it is, I would be wary of keeping my dress packed with others. To me there's just a greater chance of it getting lost or messed up in the salon stored with lord knows how many dresses.

• Michelle
    Rockstar October 2022
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    They expect you to pick it up when it comes in. They do not hold them.
  • Jessica
    Devoted February 2021
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    I held onto my dress except when they had it for alterations for liability reasons
  • Hanna
    VIP June 2019
    Hanna ·
    • Flag

Usually they don't hold onto them. I was in a similar situation--teeny tiny apartment with nowhere to store the dress. I started my alterations process super early so that the seamstress would be the one holding on to the dress!

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    Most salons do not hold on to the dress for you.
  • J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    • Flag
    Once they are paid for, unless you have paid a storage fee, it is a courtesy but entirely up to them. Not only space issues, but finances. Shops carry insurance on their stock, in case of fire or water damage, etc. And there is a maximum coverage beyond which they will have to pay you bit get no insurance back, if anything happens. If a shop has $300,000 in unsold dresses and up to $50,000 not yet picked up, for example, they can be stuck. Shops are not clearing dresses, due to delayed weddings, and temporary low sales. It is sound business to not store any more dresses , temporarily, I would guess. Lots of shops charge storage fees, for dresses not picked up for 6 weeks or more.
  • Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag

I feel like its definitely normal for you to have to pick up your dress once it arrives. My dress has been sitting in my husband and my closet for over a year in a garment bag (our big wedding just was postponed until October 2021). I check on it every few months but the garment bag definitely protects it from him seeing it as well as discoloring

• Molly
    Expert May 2022
    Molly ·
    • Flag

I think like it depends on the shop you go to. There was one boutique I was considering getting a dress from and they had an additional package that included gown storage, aisle ready press and steam, and upgraded garment bag for $99.

I don't think it could hurt to ask if they can hold your dress based on your situation, if not, maybe ask if they have a gown storage fee or something similar.

• Stacey
    Super May 2021
    Stacey ·
    • Flag

I think it's reasonable for them to hold it for a week or two until you can come pick it up, but anything beyond that is beyond the scope of their responsibility. I've never heard of a bridal salon being obligated to store a dress for a bride for months at a time. Put it in a breathable dress bag, or store it under the bed (that's where mine is stored) and your fiancé won't see anything.

• Alisha
    Super April 2021
    Alisha ·
    • Flag

I had to pick up my dress bc of Covid-19 and they were not sure when they would be opening back up. However, I can take my dress back to get it altered if I have to once things are opening back up. It depends on the salon and their regulations on storing your dress. Different circumstances they will ask brides to pick up their dresses. My mom is storing my dress at her house. You can ask them if they can store it until you can pick it up or ask someone you trust to store it for you. Good Luck.

• A
    Super December 2020
    Anais ·
    • Flag
    Mine was going to charge me to keep it there
  • Danni
    Beginner October 2021
    Danni ·
    • Flag

Thank you all! I had no idea it was common to take your dress home.

• Karla
    Super February 2020
    Karla ·
    • Flag
    I had to pay a storage fee for my bridal salon to store my dress until alterations started. I can’t remember the actual cost but it was somewhere around $200-300 for almost 5 months. Otherwise I would have had to store it myself.
  • Maureen
    Devoted November 2021
    Maureen ·
    • Flag
    The only time I've heard of salons holding them is if they have a seamstress on staff. I'm in a similar situation as you. My parent's are holding mine three hours away from me. My mom is going to bring my dress to me for alterations where I live since I have a seamstress already who I trust and has altered prior clothes of mine, AND has altered my exact dress for another bride. I was going to ask my friend's mom to hold it in one of her closets who lives a mile away from me. So that way my parent's don't have to shelp it back and forth. If you have a friend close by, that would be great. Or maybe ask your salon for an exception.
  • Julie
    VIP February 2020
    Julie ·
    • Flag

I had to sign a release form to have my dress sent to me directly and then bring it back to the store in its original packaging before they kept it there. And the only reason why they kept it there was that they were doing the alterations themselves, and there wasn't much time between when the dress came in and when I began the alterations phase. My alterations weren't done until 4 days before the wedding, and I had to travel to NYC from Baltimore to get it (pre-covid)

• Katie
    VIP August 2021
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    It is never expected for a bridal salon to hold on to the dress. They need their storage for inventory plus they don't want to be held responsible for yours and many others dresses. Some might have the option for you to pay to store it. But typically it's your responsibility to figure out how and where to store it yourself
  • T
    Super April 2021
    Tiger Bride ·
    • Flag

My salon is holding mine, free of charge, and is even holding the petticoat I bought off Facebook Marketplace. Apparently that's unusual! I would push back if I were you, but you may need to pay to keep it there.

• Angel
    Savvy December 2021
    Angel ·
    • Flag
    I would echo what others are saying, I haven’t heard it being the norm for a bridal shop to store the dress more than a few weeks after it’s arrival. However, you did mention that they are doing alterations. So I am assuming they might have a tailoring/seamstress a part of their salon. I have noted seamstresses/tailoring places seem to hold onto the dresses until the final fitting at least in my experience. I would maybe push back on that alone and also explain your situation.

If not definitely see if a bridesmaid, groomsmen or other reliable friend or family member nearby can hold onto it for you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics