Violet
Savvy March 2021

Is first class worth it for your honeymoon??

Violet, on June 2, 2020 at 5:43 PM Posted in Honeymoon 2 23
Saved

Hey y'all! We are getting our honeymoon together for early next year. We are going to Richmond, VA to Montego Bay, Jamacia. Do you think business/first class is worth it? It's roughly double but it's a 7hr flight and we would get free checked baggage, the lounge and the experience . Fiance says we should splurge for our honeymoon but I'm researcher in the relationship. We've both never flown internationally and think this may make it run a little smoother. What's your take?

23 Comments

Latest activity by Anna, on June 5, 2020 at 2:30 PM
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag

I've been on on a lot of flights in my life and let me tell ya, if you can afford to splurge for a flight then go ahead aha. i've been on 12 hour flights and longer and it is a pain to be in such a small space for that long of a time. if you can afford the luxury or more space, go for it.

• Margaret
    Master October 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag
    What would it cost with baggage in coach vs first class and free baggage? If it’s the same, go for it.
    Although, I wouldn’t purchase tickets a year out as flight schedules often change drastically. 2-3 months is usually when schedules finalize and the best rates are posted.
  • Samantha
    Expert October 2021
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    Honestly, I only find first class worth it if you need to sleep or you really like plane food; and want to eat 3-4 course meal.😂 Otherwise, it's a fun experience, but not vital to enjoying a flight. As pp said, if you can reasonably afford it, go for it. Enjoy!
  • Kari
    Master May 2020
    Kari ·
    • Flag

I've always flown coach except for this one time I ended up upgraded because I was flying standby. Was it nice? Yes. Would I pay double for that experience? Probably not.

Things to consider - the cost of the extras you get in first class vs purchasing a la carte by flying coach, what else you could add to your trip with the cost difference, and your personal comfort. In first class I got food and alcohol without paying extra, I had more room, and the seats were more comfortable. I'm not a very big person so I usually still have a little wiggle room in a coach seat so can shift my position a bit during a long flight, but for bigger people those seats can be pretty tight. If you or your husband are bigger, or have certain medical conditions, or just really struggle to remain seated in one position for long periods, the extra space and comfort of first class may have added value to you.

Additionally if the cost of the difference is significant, I'd consider what else you could do with that money. For me I'd rather endure a regular flight and then have extra money to spend on some really awesome experience like a helicopter ride over a jungle, riding horses on the beach, swimming among wild dolphins, or a spa day with my husband. To me those experiences would be more memorable and add more value to my trip than just having champagne on a plane in a more spacious and comfortable seat. I think you are more likely to remember the trip itself than the ride to and from.

• Natalie
    Devoted December 2021
    Natalie ·
    • Flag
    I fly pretty frequently, and get upgraded to First Class every now and then + occasionally purchase it if the coach vs first class price is reasonable. It TOTALLY helps with feeling more comfortable, and makes the flight enjoyable. Free drinks, free checked bags, priority when bags are unloaded. Personally, I’ve never used the lounge but definitely another perk. 7-hours is long. Anything over 3 and I get antsy! When you say double, think to yourself, are we talking $200 vs $400 or $700 vs $1400? If it’s reasonable, spend it! If you have the money, spend it! I would hate being on a long flight, coach seat, wishing I had just upgraded. It’s such a difference!
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    For a 7 hour flight I say it’s absolutely worth it. We didn’t for our honeymoon because our flight was only about 2.5 hours. But we also regularly go out to California (we live in New Jersey) to visit my husband’s family, and that’s a 6 hour flight. Let me tell you, as someone who HATES flying, I actually don’t mind that flight at all when we have first class! It’s a total game changer. If you can afford it, I say splurge!

& Especially with covid going on, youd also be safer in first class where you have more distance from other passengers!
  • Hanna
    VIP June 2019
    Hanna ·
    • Flag

Depends how much money you're talking. I personally don't think first class is worth it. I would use that money to splurge on other areas of your honeymoon instead. I'm sure there are a bunch of upgrades you could make at your resort in Jamaica that you would enjoy for well more than 7 hours in a plane!

• L
    Super October 2020
    Leslie ·
    • Flag

If the difference was first class or nicer hotel room up to suite I’d go hotel. I upgraded to business class when flying to Europe. It was a good compromise.

• W
    Super September 2020
    Willow ·
    • Flag
    For a 7 hour flight, I'd go first class or business. It is so much easier to sleep when you can recline your seat more and you have more space.
  • Hannah
    Master July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    We thought about it for our honeymoon. Ultimately, we decided to just pay the fee for the economy plus seats which have more leg room. Our flight was a bit shorter though. That may be another option that is a lot cheaper but still a bit of a splurge. Also, we got free drinks because the flight attendant overheard that we were going to our honeymoon, so you may just get that perk too. We ordered alcoholic beverages and just weren't charged when they gave them to us.
  • Naikesha
    Super September 2020
    Naikesha ·
    • Flag

Well I'm an airline worker so i know that you have to do a connection from RIC. I would probably only do it if the cost difference was affordable. It's not 7 straight hours you will either change plans or get a chance to stretch your legs etc. Not to mention if you just get you one of those veils hats we usually try to upgrade you anyway. LOL Either way enjoy your honeymoon. I personally would rather splurge on some excursions once there and make memories.

• J
    Expert May 2021
    Jaime ·
    • Flag

If you can swing it, go for it. I've flown business class a little as my FH travels a bunch for work. It definitely is nice. I'm also a plus size person so I appreciate the extra room. I'm usually pretty budget conscious and take the coach seat (or economy plus), but if it was only double and not thousands of dollars more, I would absolutely do it for my honeymoon. Enjoy!

• Lena
    Devoted May 2021
    Lena ·
    • Flag

Worth it! We always book business class on any flights longer than 3 hours and especially international but like Naikesha said, you'll have a lay over and will likely need to switch planes. In that case you can get coach on the shorter flight and business on the longer one which will save you some money. Smiley smile

• Michelle
    Super October 2020
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    I personally don’t think I would unless I had money. One thing I know for sure is, if I ever go on an international flight overseas again I would get business class lol. The 22-27 hour travel time is no joke!!
  • Gwendolyn
    Devoted July 2021
    Gwendolyn ·
    • Flag

Mostly those are going to be Boing 737-800's which don't have the type of first class with super stellar first class (fancy champagne, lie-flat seats, four course meals, etc.) like you would see on a long international flight (say from the US to Europe). Delta has some good prices from VA - Jamaica, so if you want to try FC and have the extra couple hundred, it might be worth it! The seats are bigger, you get a full meal, and unlimited alcoholic drinks. If that doesn't sound worth it, you can always look into buying a day pass into a lounge or see if you have any credit cards that can get you in (for free or discounted).

I personally wouldn't spend the extra because of the layover and the similar FC I've been in didn't blow me away. A long leg international however, I definitely would. I've flown FC ANA to Japan that was absolutely amazing (thank you credit card miles). I hope you guys have a blast!!

• Renee
    Super June 2020
    Renee ·
    • Flag
    You’ll love Jamaica. Try to get to negril, best beaches on the island. Are you sure it’s a 7hour flight? Or do you have a layover? I’ve flown from NY to JA in 3h and 40 minutes. But either way, I would definitely get first class for honeymoon. It’s probably the only time I would pay to fly first class. Any other time, I like to fly economy plus so I can get a seat and a checked bag if needed. That way I can splurge on touristy things. It’s your honeymoon girl! Live it up!!
  • Nefetera
    VIP March 2015
    Nefetera ·
    • Flag
    Shoot if you can do. It why not go for it
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Administrator October 2016
    Lynnie ·
    • Flag

I'd definitely check the duration of each leg of the flight! Also you should check out how much other upgrades would cost in comparison to 1st class (which is super pricey)!!

We paid extra for exit row or bulkhead seats on our honeymoon flights and that was definitely worth it!

• Ellen
    Dedicated September 2020
    Ellen ·
    • Flag
    Lie flat seats, yes. Domestic first class, absolutely not worth double. Also, a lot of airlines do not offer lounge access for Caribbean first class.
  • Ellen
    Dedicated September 2020
    Ellen ·
    • Flag
    I’ll add, FH is almost 6’5’, so we always upgrade in some sense. Regular domestic first class isn’t worth double, the food is very fine and may not come w lounge access. Get the main cabin extra (AA), free booze, more leg room etc.

If it’s international w first, then yes. Lie flat seats are a GAME changer. We will always upgrade to those seats, never for domestic first seats.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics