Skip to main content
Rebecca
Just Said Yes January 2020

Is anyone else's bank account suffering? 馃槄

Rebecca, on December 12, 2019 at 2:18 AM Posted in Planning 3 38
Saved
So far I've put in $5000 but I owe another $5000.. there's no money left in my bank account to spare. The wedding is next month on the 25th. Anyone else struggling with finances??

38 Comments

Latest activity by Amber, on December 12, 2019 at 10:16 PM
  • Sexypoodle
    Master October 2021
    Sexypoodle
    • Flag
    Hopefully your guests give you generous monetary gifts 馃馃徑 Because I can image that being a stressful way to start the marriage.
  • Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen
    • Flag
    This may be a little bit last minute but can you and your fiance sit down and look at where you can cut a little bit of the fat? Like maybe for the reception you can cut out some of the food or some of the drinks? I'm not exactly sure what the 5,000 is owed to but wedding expenses can easily spiral out of control and like the previous poster said you don't want to start your marriage worried about finances.
  • Jennifer
    Super March 2020
    Jennifer
    • Flag
    Omg yes. It makes me want to cry. We move across the country in 5 months and the wedding isn't where we should be putting money. What do you do though? Thankfully moving and weddings don't come often haha
  • V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica
    • Flag
    I had a similar problem. My husband went for a 7 day vacation with his brother and father to Alaska 2 weeks before the wedding. While he was gone, I had to pay several vendors. We have separate accounts so I didn't have access to his money and my account ended up going into the negative so I had to try and get in touch with him. It was very difficult because he was virtually unreachable because they were out fishing all day with no cell service. My parents were going to loan me the money, but once he got back to where they were staying he sent me money via Google Pay. I hope you are able to figure out a solution. Worst case solution would be to put it on a credit card, but make sure you pay it all back within a reasonable time. We put some of our payments on a credit card that had zero interest for a year. We have been making payments on it each month.
  • Tammy
    Beginner October 2021
    Tammy
    • Flag
    Sorry to hear your stress. I am doing a 2 year engagement to be able to save as much as we can but trying to stay on a strict budget. Can you maybe put some on credit and promise to pay it back when you receive monetary gifts?
  • Taylor
    VIP October 2020
    Taylor
    • Flag

Oh no! I'm so sorry! We chose to do the long engagement in order to save money. It's taken a lot of discipline to see the balance in the account and not withdraw some of it when I'm running low in my account. Everyone is so afraid of credit cards but if you use them correctly, they're a great resource. Try to find a card that has a 0% APR for the first year. Charge what you absolutely HAVE to and then pay it off with the money you get from the wedding. Hang in thereSmiley smile I'm a worrier too so I get it but sometimes I have to remind myself that some things are out of my control. You can only do what you can do!

• Future Mrs. Cwik
    Devoted March 2021
    Future Mrs. Cwik
    • Flag
    I鈥檓 dying. Our original budget was $6000 and we are at almost double. Weddings are so expensive!

Honestly we are doing everything on a no interest for 15 months credit card. So we鈥檙e aggressively paying it so we can knock out most of it before we start getting interest charges. Not the best idea but we had some things happen that made this necessary.
    Every time I think about the cost of this wedding I die a little lol! It鈥檒l be worth it but right now I feel so stressed by the cost.
  • Annajoy
    Expert August 2020
    Annajoy
    • Flag

Oh man that's rough. I feel like as soon as you put the word 'wedding' in front of something it becomes 100x more expensive. Unfortunately, it sounds like you'll have to take out a loan to pay for the rest of it. If you're able to cut costs then now is definitely the time to do it.

My fiance decided that we were definitely not going to go into debt to pay for our wedding, so we budgeted everything out incredibly carefully and kept the guest count below 100. Even then, it was hard to stay in budget. If it rains and we end up needing a tent, then that will likely push us over by a bit.

If you do end up taking out a loan, make sure you have a plan for paying it off ASAP. You don't want your wedding to cause you to start your marriage under financial strain.

• Rebecca
    Rebecca
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That's what I'm about to do for the rest of it if I don't get more help from the family 馃槄
  • Rebecca
    Rebecca
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Sounds like a great idea!
  • Rebecca
    Rebecca
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Most owed is to the flowers. I asked my coordinator if she could cut the cost.
  • Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I am not sure how important flowers are to you but have you considered artificial flowers? Are these for the bridal party or decor?

• Rebecca
    Rebecca
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yea I did. We incorporated some already but it's gonna have to be cut back some more
  • Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Sadly these expenses do add up. I think you are going in the right direction. Just cut out the things that you or your guests would not miss to keep costs down.

• K
    Savvy October 2020
    Kelly
    • Flag

We got the venue and the photographer, I'm looking around at cake and dessert options which are not too bad. But the catering Smiley surprise. That is like 70% of our costs. every where we look too. So expensive.

• Jane
    Savvy December 2019
    Jane
    • Flag

Very much so. I put together a saving plan for after the wedding to help with my anxiety about spending so much money right now. I am getting married in 2 weeks so I've just kind of let it go at this point and will worry more after the big day.

• Paulette
    Expert April 2021
    Paulette
    • Flag

Girl!! You are not alone!!! My account, fortunately has not taken a big of a hit as I expected because we are paying for the hall and the photographer together. We make payments every month. As for the DJ, he's paying that. The flowers (budget bride) I'm paying for that through payments. And all of the necessities, I buy them as I think of them so we won't be rushing at the end trying to get everything. But, to tell you the truth, we didn't set a budget. We just went with what we want (within reason) and get it. The most expensive is the venue which is all inclusive; the wedding and reception which includes the food, the cake, centerpieces and a few other things. So, we may be out of a great deal of money but the one thing I love is that I'm not letting this get to me and being stressed out. Whatever happens, happens. The most important part is becoming his life partner. HIS WIFE!!! Can I get an Amen? LOL

• kymarmck
    Super March 2020
    kymarmck
    • Flag

I totally get this!! We have around $4,000 left to pay off. We have until March so I'm thinking we should be all good as long as we really budget ourselves for the next few months. Definitely stressful though when you're getting down to the wire!

• Expert June 2021
    • Flag
    Hey, I鈥檓 so sorry that you鈥檙e in this situation. Idk if you and your fianc茅 are able to move the wedding back but if you can maybe that鈥檒l give you guys some breathing room to save and come up with a plan. I know my venue allows me to move my date if I need to once booking deposit is paid. Also, what my fianc茅 aNd I did was decide to have a 18 month engagement and we came up with a savings plan and created a savings joint account just for it. So each check we take the agreed amount and put it into the joint wedding account. If you are able to move back the date maybe you two can do this and give yourselves more time to save. Just find out how much money you need to save and decide how much you can comfortably put aside each check and still pay your bills and put money towards separate savings. You don鈥檛 want to start your marriage in debt.
  • Sherry
    Master September 2019
    Sherry
    • Flag

We did not struggle with wedding finances since we planned a wedding we were comfortable with, budget wise, but I will say that I was expecting more monetary gifts since that is what everyone on here said was such a thing if you have no registry or a small one and we only got $200 so I would warn against all of the people saying that lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics