Shelby
Beginner August 2019

Is a videographer worth it?

Shelby, on July 16, 2019 at 10:49 PM Posted in Planning 0 17
Saved
I’m last minute debating on whether or not we should hire a videographer for our wedding and I can’t decide! Any thoughts?

17 Comments

Latest activity by Jolie, on July 17, 2019 at 11:29 AM
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I certainly think so. It's like a live action recap of the whole night. However your friends will likely have a lot of moments captured too so if you don't want to pay for one you could always have your friends capture certain moments for you
  • M
    Savvy June 2018
    Mary ·
    • Flag
    Absolutely! We hired someone to just record the ceremony and some clips of the reception. Since we didn’t want a produced and edited film it was a lot less expensive but still fun to watch back!
  • Kelley
    Dedicated May 2021
    Kelley ·
    • Flag
    This has been the #1 thing all of my married friends have told- no insisted, I don’t skip! It’s a day that goes so quickly and to look back and not have video could be really hard. Even though in reality the bride and groom will end up being the only two who watch it later down the line. So just make sure you do things for you!
  • Angerra
    VIP August 2019
    Angerra ·
    • Flag
    We're last minute trying to figure put if we want a videographer as well. My fiance suggested to get the raw footage only to cut costs and then have it edited later.
  • Clíodhna
    WeddingWire Administrator January 2030
    Clíodhna ·
    • Flag

Hi there Shelby Smiley smile

Each person is going to feel differently about whether a videographer is worth hiring.

For me, it’s a necessity! I strongly agree with all the reasons in this WeddingWire article (The 5 Reasons You MUST Hire a Videographer For Your Wedding), especially number three! I would want to be able to enjoy all the moments of my wedding where I couldn’t be there because I was getting my photos taken, with other guests, etc.

How does your FS feel about hiring a videographer?

• B
    Savvy June 2020
    Bri ·
    • Flag
    I’d say no for two reasons:

1. Your friends and family are just going to take videos on their phones, anyway.
    2. Let’s be honest- you’re never going to watch those videos.

I’d invest more in the photographer!
  • Megan
    Expert November 2022
    Megan ·
    • Flag
    I am undecided as well, would I really go back and watch it? Maybe? Maybe not? I have seen some really cute videos lately that makes me want one but idk it seems like extra expense that I could do without.
  • Megan
    Expert November 2022
    Megan ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I was thinking same thing I rather have pictures than videos.
  • Tiffany
    Dedicated August 2020
    Tiffany ·
    • Flag
    Every person, even strangers, when they find out i’m engaged mention hiring a videographer!! They will say, we look at our video so often and it’s so special. People who didn’t have one say, it’s our biggest regret! So I say YES you need one!
  • Lauren
    VIP February 2020
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

I know I'd regret not getting one if I didn't! My brother and sister-in-law got married 4 years ago, and she still watches the video fairly often. That was the one thing she told my mom I had to have, and I totally agreed!

• S
    Savvy June 2019
    Sheila ·
    • Flag
    I think so, we just got married so haven’t seen our videography or photography, but they capture moments while you’re busy and your guests are busy. Videography and photography are the only two things that you get to keep at the end of your wedding. Everything else is gone, food, music, decor, floral. You spend so much time planning this wedding and I think it’s a nice keepsake to look back and and show your kids, but if you can’t afford it, but get a decent photographer at the very least.
  • Ashley
    Dedicated June 2019
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

As a videographer myself, I am biased but to my husband and I, the videographer was just as important as the photographer for us.

Video captures the movement of the day. It captures things that you're going to miss. Afterwards, I found myself reaching out to friends and family to see what videos they took.... hence further convincing me that hiring one was important, because all I want is more.

Photos are just as important but why wouldn't you want twice as many ways to remember your perfect day? Why wouldn't you want photos and a professional video? It's all that you'll have left after when your memories begin to fade.

• Rachel
    Super July 2019
    Rachel ·
    • Flag
    Go on Thumbtack or join you local FB wedding community pages to inquire about videographer prices! And from there look at their portfolios, you could probably find one for a good price! I didn’t want to spend a lot but knew we wanted one, we found someone for under $1000 who will do a 5-8 minute highlight video, 6 hours of coverage, and raw footage and he has a great portfolio!
  • Ceelie
    Expert August 2019
    Ceelie ·
    • Flag

I don't do videography for weddings but I do videography in general, and from my personal experience videos seem to capture things that pictures can't. I think it just comes down to how sentimental you are. Personally I know that 5, 10, or 20 years down the road my memory of the wedding day will not be fresh in my head, and I'll be glad I had a videographer to capture it all to look back on and show my kids one day. Smiley smile It's worth every penny to me. Best of luck!!

• Allie
    Expert April 2019
    Allie ·
    • Flag
    We had a videographer included in our package. I have watched the video once and honestly don’t plan on watching it again. It was beautiful but if it wasn’t included, we never would have gotten one.
  • Grace
    Super May 2019
    Grace ·
    • Flag
    So personally, I did not hire a videographer and I don't regret not having one. I know I would never watched it again, and I have lovely photos instead. However, the one thing that I guess I would say I regret is I don't have a video of our first dance and my Dad/Daughter dance. I just want to see those, but I don't necessarily regret not paying for a videographer because I only care to have had five minutes worth of video 🤷‍♀️ I'm happy I didn't have one and didn't spend the money. However, it depends on you. If it's something you think you'd watch, and want to share with people, then go for it!
  • J
    Master October 2019
    Jolie ·
    • Flag

I don't think so. Pictures and splurging on a photographer is enough for me. Pictures will hang in the house for all time to look at, I am not going to continuously watch a wedding video. Additionally, it's enough to have two cameras on us, I didn't want more all up in our faces and space because I just think it's awkward.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics