Erin
Just Said Yes December 2020

Invitation envelopes

Erin, on September 24, 2020 at 4:30 PM

Posted in Planning 31

I created my invitation’s myself. I was wondering if it is tacky to hand write the addresses or if i should get them printed on the envelopes? If i should get them printed on any ideas where i can do that?
I created my invitation’s myself. I was wondering if it is tacky to hand write the addresses or if i should get them printed on the envelopes? If i should get them printed on any ideas where i can do that?

31 Comments

• A
    Expert June 2021
    Allie ·
    • Flag

Hand-written for me! I didn't want the extra step (from both a cost and time delay perspective) when I was sending out our invitations, so I just sat down and knocked them out! However, there are lots of perspectives on this... I saw a seminar last year where an event/gatherings expert (I think her name was Priya Parker?) was speaking - from what I remember, she said something to the effect of 'the event starts when the guests receive their invitations, so the vibe of the gathering should be reflected in the invitation too.' Again, that's the jist of it based on what I remember (and definitely paraphrased!), and i'm sure her version was much more eloquent. Our wedding (whenever we have it) will hopefully be laid-back, no-frills, and just really focused on being together and celebrating with plenty of personal touches, good food, and good beverages (without worrying too much on the small details). So I am hoping that my guests thought "oh, that's a more personal touch than having them printed by a computer" upon receiving our invitation. On the other hand, I have been invited to more formal weddings where the address was written by a calligrapher and the invitation even had a wax seal!!! And I thought "oh boy, they really thought of every detail, and this will be a very upscale wedding - i better pick out a nice outfit in advance!"

• Cierra
    Just Said Yes November 2021
    Cierra ·
    • Flag

How confident do you feel with your handwriting? If you feel like you have decent handwriting, or have always heard "Wow, I love your handwriting" when you're near someone, then DO IT! People generally throw those puppies away anyways - so why spend more money? I say go for it! Or maybe one of your bridesmaids has awesome handwriting and would be willing to help out!

• Adrianna
    Dedicated June 2020
    Adrianna ·
    • Flag
    My husband made a 5 x 7 envelope template on Microsoft word, and we printed the addresses at home onto our envelopes using our preferred font. We even printed our return address. They can’t out very nice. We even added in fancy font “Deliver to”
  • Marissa
    Expert October 2020
    Marissa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

This is the store on etsy I ordered them from!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/539100123/guest-list-address-labels-1x2-58-wedding?ref=yr_purchases

They also do return address labels 😊

https://www.etsy.com/listing/292792357/handlettered-adhesive-return-address?ref=yr_purchases

• Montana
    Just Said Yes December 2020
    Montana ·
    • Flag
    I just bought Avery clear address and return labels and chose a font I really liked and typed them and put the addresses on those. My handwriting is pretty bad.
  • Molly
    VIP September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag

I would much prefer to get a hand addressed envelope!

• Talia
    Super October 2020
    Talia ·
    • Flag

My handwriting is terrible. We thought the printed addresses looked so much better and classier in my opinion then handwriting(unless you have amazing handwriting)

• CountryBride
    VIP April 2022
    CountryBride ·
    • Flag

I love the idea of having it hand written gives it a personal touch

• Chrysta
    Master November 2022
    Chrysta ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Not at all!! And you can buy a basic set for under $20!
  • Kaysey
    Super February 2020
    Kaysey ·
    • Flag

Honestly it's all personal preference and I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it. For my husband and I's invitations I printed everyone's information on address labels and just stuck them on the invitations and RSVP response envelope. It was so much easier for me to do that because it took no time at all and the envelope just gets thrown away within seconds of them opening it anyway.

• Y
    Dedicated January 2021
    Yvonne ·
    • Flag

Hand write them or use sticker labels and type them!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics