Brittany
Beginner April 2020

Intimate Courthouse or big wedding

Brittany, on August 27, 2019 at 1:12 AM

Posted in Planning 44

Hi , everyone. Im really having a hard decision on having a Courthouse wedding or a medium size wedding Im getting married May 2020. My fiancee wants a medium size and out of city wedding but, I want really want to save money and dont want to hurt my fiancee feelings.Any suggestions?
Hi , everyone. Im really having a hard decision on having a Courthouse wedding or a medium size wedding Im getting married May 2020. My fiancee wants a medium size and out of city wedding but, I want really want to save money and dont want to hurt my fiancee feelings.Any suggestions?

44 Comments

• W-K
    Super October 2019
    W-K ·
    • Flag

I also vote for finding a midpoint here. We compromised and are doing a small ceremony but still doing something that incorporates our family and beliefs.

• Dana
    Dedicated October 2019
    Dana ·
    • Flag
    This is a great way to practice your communication and compromise skills before the wedding. Finances will always be a stressor in a relationship so it's important to be able to work out your differences and find a way to both be happy. If you're really struggling to come to an agreement, perhaps enlisting a couples therapist could help you sort it out.
  • Aleaj
    Expert October 2019
    Aleaj ·
    • Flag

Maybe you should get married at the courthouse and have an intimate reception with close family and friends, that way you save money and get to still celebrate the wedding like your husband wants

• Rochelle-Anne
    Dedicated September 2020
    Rochelle-Anne ·
    • Flag
    Like many have suggested, do a courthouse wedding and small scaled reception. That should be a happy medium for both.
  • Rachel
    Expert September 2019
    Rachel ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I agree with this, except I'd say to definitely do a destination elopement, and go for the dress/suit, floral, and photographer to make the experience a little more formal and even more memorable! Photography from destination elopements is so often just pure artwork and so amazing. We are getting married in 11 days and decided against it in favor of a medium sized wedding, and our family, who we wanted to not feel left out, is acting feral! SO much stress. Girl just elope to Disney or something!

• Denise
    Super September 2019
    Denise ·
    • Flag

We both wanted a small wedding but we also wanted to be able to celebrate with everyone so we compromised! We are getting Married Friday 13th of next month and the following day we are having a reception! The wedding is going to be small and intimate, only 20 people but the reception is about 150.

• Janae
    Savvy October 2020
    Janae ·
    • Flag
    I'm with the everyone else on finding a compromise. Do a small wedding destination wedding. Reach out to a travel agent to get suggestion on locations and stick to your budget.
  • S
    Devoted October 2019
    Summer ·
    • Flag
    We are doing a back yard, BBQ pot luck wedding. We went to Walmart and printed off our invitations ($14/25 invitations), DIY decorations, his parents are helping with tables and chairs, my mom wanted to get our cake and desserts. My parents, his parents, and us are splitting the cost of the main dish. Compare ring prices every where you can think of (if you don't already have them). And hit up them garage sales lol. Also we are only having close family and friends at the ceremony, but open invitation to the reception. These are just a few ways we found to save money and to keep it smaller.
  • H
    Super September 2019
    H ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    This! If you decide to go the non-traditional route you can go anywhere you want and elope, whether that be just your FH and you or a small number of guests. There are elopement packages you can look into that provide almost everything you'd want/need out of an elopement for a fraction of the cost, if that is something that interest you. Focus on what matters most to you! For us, that was just to be married and be surrounded by beautiful nature and have great photos to look back on.
  • Lanise
    Dedicated July 2021
    Lanise ·
    • Flag
    You are not by yourself of deciding if you want to courthouse ceremony or everything to be big ceremony and reception I'm having that hard decision also because we are on a fixed budget I want stay at home mom he works and goes to school and I'm trying to work to help with the wedding plans along with help with the house finances so that's why I'm having a hard decision of making aware I asked me want to get married the only reason I don't want a court ceremony is because my last marriage started that way and it ended up in divorce and I do not want to make that situation happen again God bless good luck
  • Susan
    Dedicated May 2020
    Susan ·
    • Flag

I'm not sure where you are located, but we live in Georgia and are having a destination wedding/elopement at a wedding chapel in Gatlinburg, TN. I think it is very reasonable. Around $400 and it's all inclusive. We can have up to 20 guest, but it's just us. We could have gotten a less-expensive package, but I wanted the photographer, wedding ceremony dvd and flowers. It even includes a small wedding cake. I also needed it to be on Sunday, which not every place does that. I don't want to have to worry about anything.

• Brittany
    Beginner April 2020
    Brittany ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    How do i go about with the elopement/wedding ?is there a website because i thought about doing a destination wedding with me and and immediate family only. But i have more siblings than my fh.
  • Tomika
    Just Said Yes June 2020
    Tomika ·
    • Flag
    Court house wedding and medium size reception.
  • Susan
    Dedicated May 2020
    Susan ·
    • Flag
    I just started looking up weddings in Gatlinburg. It's a popular place. I'm sure you can probably do it here in Wedding Wire. I think I did. I just put in the location and that I was looking for a venue. Those were too expensive for me, but it can give you ideas where do you want to go?
  • Brittany
    Beginner April 2020
    Brittany ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you i will definitely look into it.
  • Susan
    Dedicated May 2020
    Susan ·
    • Flag
    Keep us informed. Would love to know your ideas.
  • Brittany
    Beginner April 2020
    Brittany ·
    • Flag
    So we mayed our decision.And its have our officiant marry us at our home with close family and friends with a 40 people reception. We live in Alabama so the governor changed the marriage laws, this August. We can save money on our honeymoon.
  • Brittany
    Beginner April 2020
    Brittany ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Im going to look into eloping out of state. I really dont want to be stressed out .And thank you and congrats on your engagement.
  • Shannon
    Expert October 2017
    Shannon ·
    • Flag
    We looked into a courthouse wedding and decided against it for a few reasons. In the city we live in we would have had to make an appointment months in advance, it had to be Monday through Friday and during very limited hours. It felt more like making a Dr appointment than planning a wedding. We found an officiant that would meet you anywhere in our county for I think it was $80. We were a little unsure about him but he had great reviews and we figured as long as we were legally married at the end of the day we were willing to chance it. We got married in our favorite park with just 4 guests then we all went out to one of my favorite restaurants. It was perfect. Pretty and casual and very inexpensive. The entire wedding including my dress was under$500.
  • Yam
    VIP September 2019
    Yam ·
    • Flag
    You could havd the intimacy of a small or medium wedding at a bed&breakfast, they usually have full wedding packages. They’re obviously more expensive than the court house but they’re nowhere near the cost of a wedding booked separately and you wouldn’t have the stress of planning a wedding. You could focus on the fun things like your dress or the flowers, not dealing with vendors.
    In my neck of the woods a wedding package at a bed&breakfast is $1500-$3000 but it includes everything, even photography and your accomodations.

Comment on this discussion