Veronica
Beginner January 2020

Indecision

Veronica, on December 11, 2019 at 9:45 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 1 29
Saved Save
I am getting married Jan 18, 2020. I dont have help financially to cover a reception. But people are driving a ways to see the ceremony. I should offer them something, right?

29 Comments

• Amber
    Rockstar February 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag

Yes, I would definitely still host a reception. If you're trying to keep costs down, I would have the wedding during a non-meal time so you could get by with serving just cake, drinks, and maybe a few light snacks. For example, having the ceremony at 2 or 3 and end the reception by 5 so everyone can go get dinner on their own Smiley smile

• Annajoy
    Devoted July 2020
    Annajoy ·
    • Flag

You could do a potluck!

Informal but fun!

• Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    Yes, even if just a “cake & punch” reception. If guests are traveling a ways, it would be very helpful to offer them a meal. You could find catering from BBQ, Mexican or Italian for $10-$15 per person.

You can skip DJ, photo booth, programs and favors which can save you some money.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Potlucks aren’t really appropriate for a wedding, especially if guests are driving a distance. The reception is a “thank you” to guests. She can skip unnecessary items to provide an inexpensive meal or cake & punch at a non-meal time.
  • V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    Since people are driving a distance then you should definitely have some of food and refreshments for them.
  • Catherine
    VIP November 2019
    Catherine ·
    • Flag

I would definitely do a little something. at least some cake and coffee. that way you can all mingle together and celebrate - especially if theyre traveling. the ceremony will be 15-30 minutes. you don't want them traveling so far just to turn around and leave.

• Annajoy
    Devoted July 2020
    Annajoy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I mean, if you're doing an un-traditional wedding and don't have the money, then I don't see anything wrong with breaking the mold. At the end of the day, it's her call. My family is very relaxed so we could have done a potluck-styled reception if we wanted to, but we didn't because we ended up being able to afford a catered reception.

I just think you should be careful about pressing expectations on people and communicating that weddings should fit a certain model. I've been to all sorts of weddings and they've all be unique to the couple and very memorable.

• D
    Dedicated December 2019
    Decemberbride ·
    • Flag
    Definitely, if you’re having a wedding. If you can’t afford a wedding, elope and just plan a special day for you and your spouse to be.
  • Simone
    Dedicated April 2021
    Simone ·
    • Flag
    Yes, you definitely should. Look to see if you can manage catering from somewhere affordable such as chipotle.
  • Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag

I would get some platters from your local grocery like fruits, veggies, cheese, meats or something. I agree with a previous poster, have it during a non meal time (before dinner) and I would let them know up front that light refreshments will be served so they can prepare in advance and not come starving. If you have around dinner then you should have a dinner.

• 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag

You should definitely have a reception (even if it is just cake and punch) for anyone invited to the ceremony. If that is a financial hardship, you can just invite fewer people.

• Kaitlin
    Dedicated January 2022
    Kaitlin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Love this!!Smiley heart Smiley heart

• Sherry
    Rockstar September 2019
    Sherry ·
    • Flag

You can have a cake and punch reception in a nearby park which is really inexpensive.

• Sherry
    Rockstar September 2019
    Sherry ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I agree with this. My family has always been huge on potluck. No matter the event, they will be bringing food. It is definitely a know your crowd thing but so many people come down on it for weddings. We did a potluck set up for my first wedding which was great. Everyone loved it and ended up swapping recipes by the end of the day. This time, we wanted more of a themed meal so had it catered.

• Dacia
    Savvy May 2020
    Dacia ·
    • Flag
    We have guest traveling but can not afford food. We are doing cake, ice cream, meat, cheese, crackers, pop, and punch. That way people can still enjoy some things and hang around but we aren’t breaking our backs or our bank account. People who want to be there for you will be there no matter what.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I agree there are all kinds of options for weddings, at any budget (like providing cake & punch only). Just a reminder that the reception is to thank guests for attending the ceremony. Providing food & drinks is good hosting. Guests don’t care about photo booths, decor, DJ, programs, favors, etc, so I’m merely pointing out those can be skipped so she can provide food.

It’s not ok to not offer anything to guests who are traveling a ways to get there.
  • Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I agree with this. Everything about a wedding is dependent upon who your crowd of people are. I agree with others in that you should have some kind of food as they traveled to see you wed and it would be improper to not provide some type of food. I would not do alcohol because even though that is a debate I personally do not feel it is the bride and groom's obligation to provide libations. I know some things I am doing go against etiquette but my crowd does not care. Maybe the people coming could do pot luck style or maybe a BYOB situation pending where the reception is. Are you doing the wedding close to home? You could host the reception there to save on cost or ask a close friend or family to host it at their clubhouse or home and then do just cake and punch, heavy appetizers or light american fare. You for sure do not need to break your bank for a reception. Smiley smile

• Yusleidy
    Just Said Yes February 2020
    Yusleidy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    tenor.gif
    Well said.
  • Kaysey
    Expert February 2020
    Kaysey ·
    • Flag

I agree with the of the previous posters. Since people are traveling to see you on your special day, I would host something. Even if it's just an hour long thing after the ceremony. I love the idea Kristen said of getting trays of fruits and veggies from the grocery store to set out with refreshments. Depending on how many people are coming, I'd say look into getting a party platter or sandwiches from a place like Firehouse Subs or something along those lines to go along with it.

• Veronica
    Beginner January 2020
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Smiley heart Such great suggestions. Thanks everyone. I had thought I was getting married in May and would have time to save up money but we are rushing this for January. But I didn't want to just do a courthouse and reception several months later. I would rather do it all at the same time. The suggestions are all very helpful.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics