Michelle
Expert December 2019

In or out? What are you going to do? Where does everyone sit?

Michelle, on March 10, 2019 at 7:14 PM Posted in Wedding Reception

Are sweetheart tables in or out? I don't know what to do. I guess I thought I would always have a grand head table. But now, with almost all of the bridal party being in a relationship I feel like they should sit with their partners. But how will that look with everyone sitting at different tables. I've been to a wedding where the couple had a sweetheart table and then the wedding party sat at a table together. But I have never seen a wedding where the partners of the wedding party sat with them. I especially want them to sit together because it's a NYE wedding. Someone mentioned a Kings table. I haven't heard of it til now but we have a really large wedding party so to have the entire wedding party and the partners all together is too much. We have 13 bridesmaids and 13 groomsmen. What to do???

Share:

50 Comments

• Kelly
    Master October 2018
    Kelly ·
    I dislike head tables. We had a sweetheart table and then sat wedding party at different tables depending on their friend group. We didn’t have a dedicated wedding party table.
  • Peggy
    Master November 2019
    Peggy ·
    I wanted a head table originally with everyone’s SO included, but my fiancé really wanted a sweetheart table so I changed my arrangements. But honestly it’s such a relief I think it’ll work out better.
  • C
    Dedicated January 2020
    Cassie ·
    My FH wanted a head table but with the layout of our venue we decided to just do a sweetheart table and sit our wedding party at 2 different tables mixed in with family. My friend did a sweetheart table and then a head table with all the wedding party and their significant others going down the center between the rest of the tables....if that makes sense it’s hard to describe without a picture.
  • Melissa
    Dedicated March 2019
    Melissa ·

We don't have a bridal party and are not doing a sweetheart table either. Our caterer is doing family style so we have long farmhouse tables and are sitting with family/guests.

• Melissa
    Super October 2018
    Melissa ·

We did a head table, and it was fine. Almost all of our bridal party had a SO, but all of them were fine sitting at different tables. We made sure any girlfriend, wife, family, boyfriend, etc. that wasn't sitting with their SO at the head table was at a table that either had people they already knew, or people we knew they would get along with. It was totally fine. The only time they were not hanging out together was during the dinner. As soon as the formalities were over, everyone was all over the room anyway, dancing, socializing, etc.

Our group also had a few days to get to know each other (for those who didn't already - which wasn't very many) so for us, this was what worked. However, I see the other side of not wanting to split up couples. It's another one of those things where I guess you have to know your crowd!

• Soon2BSmith
    Devoted October 2020
    Soon2BSmith ·

I suggest you allow your bridal party to sit with their mates.

• Mrs.strickland
    Dedicated March 2019
    Mrs.strickland ·
    I am doing a sweetheart table for me and FH. Another reason is that there isn’t much room at our venue for a head table.
  • Summerbride77
    Rockstar July 2019
    Summerbride77 ·
    We’re doing a kings table in the center of the room. Our wedding party and their dates (+one baby) will sit with us. We wanted to be at the center of everything and to sit down and have a meal with our wedding party.

In or out? What are you going to do? Where does everyone sit? 1
  • Jessie
    Dedicated May 2019
    Jessie ·
    I would let them sit with their partners and friends. I’ve been to weddings where everyone sits where they want and it turns out fine. If you want to do a sweet heart table I say go for it but don’t stress about the bridal party and where they will sit
  • Susan
    Dedicated August 2019
    Susan ·
    We aren’t having a bridal party, but we also aren’t having a sweetheart table.
    We are doing a table with all of our kids - and me and FH. The kids are leaving after the food, so we wanted to spend that time with them. Our chairs are going to have flower decorations on the back to differentiate.
  • Kiki
    Expert May 2019
    Kiki ·
    We are having a head table but sitting wedding parties partners with them. We did like a sweetheart table alone with all attention on us so that’s why we chose to have wedding parties SOs besided them.
  • Kiki
    Expert May 2019
    Kiki ·
    Didn’t** like
  • S
    Devoted April 2021
    Soon2BMrsR ·
    We’re doing a sweetheart table and the wedding party will be walking in seated with their families and significant others at tables flanking ours on either side.
  • F
    Devoted June 2019
    F Online ·
    I would let everyone sit with their guest. That way the guest can be comfortable and you will not have the bridal party leaving the head table to check on their guest.
  • L
    Super August 2018
    Lisa ·
    We had a sweetheart table...we were barely at it because we were dancing all night. Barely ate anything, although we tried. And our bridal party sat at the tables with their significant others.
  • Brittany
    Super October 2019
    Brittany ·

I'll be having a sweetheart table. The only thing I would suggest if you have a head table is that you allow your wedding party to sit with their significant others.

• Jeanelle
    Super September 2018
    Jeanelle Online ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Agree. It's awkward for people to split up. A sweetheart table might be fitting for you two. We didn't have assigned tables and we actually ate separately since ours was a casual buffet Sunday brunch. We have no regrets as we were able to eat and spend time with our guests
  • Colleen
    Master September 2019
    Colleen Online ·
    View Quoted Comment
    A kings table it called I thought of one. But then my one sister and her hubby have two kids her step kids one of Wich May have a plus one. 17 people with kids amd so on. We are just Doug a sweetheart table.
  • Kiki
    Expert May 2019
    Kiki ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Ya with kids this would be difficult we aren’t having any kids at our wedding so just having SOs wasn’t a big deal for us.
  • Colleen
    Master September 2019
    Colleen Online ·
    View Quoted Comment
    He will. Be in college when we get married. The daughter will be in ninth grade.

Comment on this discussion