Dezeray
Beginner August 2020

i just said yes August 10th 2019

Dezeray, on August 11, 2019 at 8:41 PM Posted in Planning 0 32
Saved Save
I am looking for some help with where to start. I want to start planning as soon as possible but it all seems a little overwhelming. If I could get some advise on where I should start maybe I can work my way from there.

32 Comments

• K
    Savvy June 2021
    Karyna ·
    The first thing I wanted to do when I was engaged was picking out the venue. I would do the venue first, then work on catering. Those tend to be the most expensive and most places book pretty fast. If you have your heart set on one place, it would be a shame if you booked too late and didn’t get it.
  • Brenda
    Just Said Yes October 2019
    Brenda ·
    First off - CONGRATS!! I was super overwhelmed at first too... I started with things that helped me envision the wedding. Colors and bridal party were first. Once I figured out who would be my Maid of Honor, she helped figure things out step by step. The venue, food and alcohol can all be tricky and very involved so make sure you have plenty of time to tackle that. Once you have a buddy to help you scope out your venues etc, I recommend creating a list of wants/needs. Also a list of things that you want to avoid. Once you have a general idea of what you do and don't want, venues/food/entertainment will seem a little less daunting. I suggest starting with venue after you have an idea of what you want and like. The food, drinks etc will be easy to select once you have a venue in mind.

Good luck!
  • McKenzie
    Dedicated August 2020
    McKenzie ·
    Congratulations!! We tried to settle on a date, ended up moving one time so sunflowers were in season vs being so early in the season. I ordered a Erin Condren planners I feel like it’s super helpful with planning but also it will be a nice keepsake!
  • Dezeray
    Beginner August 2020
    Dezeray ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes! That would a shame! Thank you so much for the advice! ☺️👍🏼
  • Dezeray
    Beginner August 2020
    Dezeray ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! 🤗 and yes I do need some help and the earlier I select my maid of honor the sooner she can help me! Thank you for the help! ☺️👍🏼
  • Dezeray
    Beginner August 2020
    Dezeray ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh my gosh! Yes, thank you. I LOVE planners and I will definitely be looking into an Erin Condren one! 🤗 Thanks for the help!
  • Colleen
    Master September 2019
    Colleen ·
    Start with budget then guest list then venue decide what you want and don’t want in a wedding
  • Colleen
    Master September 2019
    Colleen ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Don’t forget budget
  • Kiki
    Dedicated November 2019
    Kiki ·

First would definetly be the venue you can't really do anything until you get that. Then you would base your theme, find your dress style, get your date, all from picking the venue. After that I would say getting your dress is super important, even more so if youre getting it from a boutique they depending on the dress it could take a while to come in.

• Dezeray
    Beginner August 2020
    Dezeray ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Yess your so right ! That was one of the first things I did was look online for dresses and one was at least 4-5 months for delivery. Thank you for the help!☺️
  • Dezeray
    Beginner August 2020
    Dezeray ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes budget is key! Thank you!☺️👍🏼
  • Ellie
    Dedicated January 2020
    Ellie ·

Congratulations! The first thing to figure out is your overall budget of course, then the venue and photographer. I'd also take into consideration what kind of flowers if any that you'd want, I'd say outside of the venue that's been the cosliest thing thus far. You wanna get an idea of how much decor/flowers would cost that way you can either save aggressively or re-imagine your vision to fit whatever budget may be suitable.

• K
    Savvy June 2021
    Karyna ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Obviously the budget. But for two years in advance for me, I’m not too worried.
  • Helena
    Savvy October 2020
    Helena ·
    Congrats!! I'm with you on this recent journey, and first I took a big breath! Then, before we even seriously chose venue we made our individual guest lists and decided how many people we each wanted. This determined the size of our wedding and then we could go ahead with picking venue. Best advice that I got from the forums!
  • Meghan
    Super October 2019
    Meghan ·
    Yay, congrats on your engagement!
    First things first, you need to start by settling on a budget. Next, start researching venues. Schedule some tours at different ones and see which you like and what fills the vision you and your fiancé have for you day. From there, it all kind of falls into place. Booking your venue also establishes your date! Photographers & videographers tend to book up quickly, so I’d start researching those soon after booking your venue! Also, using the checklists in WW and The Knot can be super helpful! Good luck!
  • Dezeray
    Beginner August 2020
    Dezeray ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! And yes budget is super important for us! Thank you this will really help!☺️👍🏼
  • Dezeray
    Beginner August 2020
    Dezeray ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes our budget is super important for me and my fiancé and we have exactly one year! So it might be tight but I think it will possible. Thank you for the advice!☺️👍🏼
  • Dezeray
    Beginner August 2020
    Dezeray ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh yes!!!! That will help tremendously thank you! I didn’t even think about that. Venue has been #1 other than the budget but yes guest list is very important. Thank you for your help ! ☺️
  • Dezeray
    Beginner August 2020
    Dezeray ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Okay wonderful! A lot of great helpful tips thank you so much! I will look into the knot as well !🙂👍🏼
  • Ashley
    Just Said Yes February 2020
    Ashley ·

Congrats girl, i was just like u i didn't know where to start. before we sat down and talked about everything, we talked about the budget. after that sense i cant sleep at night half the time i started a guest list and picked out a color theme. after that everything just feel into place. i found my venue on here but i also looked on the knot. there's also a app called thumbtack and u can find anything on there from dj's to hair and makeup and you can message them and ask for pricing. good luck with everything.

Comment on this discussion