Stephanie
Expert April 2020

i have to walk alone...

Stephanie, on September 25, 2019 at 3:26 PM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 2 244
Saved Save

Hey Ladies, my Father recently passed away on 8/8/2019 (Rest in Heaven Daddy) and I have no one else close to me to walk me down the isle. Is this a thing or not? I have only been to one wedding where a bride walked down by herself and her father and step father were both there. I thought about a few of my uncles stepping in, but realistically, they are unreliable. My brother and I aren't on the best terms and does not support my relationship. It makes me sad every time I think about this part of my wedding. I am also trying to figure out some ways to honor my Dad during the ceremony or while I am walking down the isle....Alone.

244 Comments

• Jill
    Devoted May 2020
    Jill ·
    • Flag

I don't think there is anything wrong with walking alone. I went to one of my good friend's weddings where she did this and no one even batted an eye at it. You could have one of these around your bouquet, or maybe walk down to a song you two both enjoyed?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/399703047/walk-me-down-the-aisle-wedding-jewelry?ref=user_profile&frs=1

• K
    Dedicated October 2020
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    Sounds strange but what about your FH dad walking you? Maybe even half way. Just a thought. I have seen brides walk by themselves but it would be what you are comfortable with.
  • Stephanie
    Expert April 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag

OMG that made me tear up. I love this idea. Thank you for sharing this. Its going to be a very exciting day for me, but in this moment, I know my hear will be broken and this is a good way to carry my Dad with me. Thank you so much. If I could hug you right now, I would.Smiley cry Smiley heart

• Stephanie
    Expert April 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I wouldn't mind that. I will definitely think about it. Thank you dear.

• M
    Super September 2019
    Mrs. Bubba ·
    • Flag
    DH and walked together as equal partners because that’s how we live.

1. I am not a piece ofproperty to be given away nor a pet to be walked anywhere.

I am an adult, that was walking into my marriage because it’s what I wanted to do.

• 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag

Your mother could walk you down. Or you could walk with your FI. Or you could walk alone.

As with any other tradition, it's not set in stone. It's one thing to follow a tradition if it's meaningful to you. But just trying to find a random man is wholly unnecessary.

• Danielle
    Expert March 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

I walked alone, by choice (dad wasn't invited). My mom is the only one who questioned it, kept coming up with ideas for who could sub in, but I didn't care to have anyone else. No one said anything about it.

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    You can walk down the aisle by yourself ! That's what I did.
  • Jill
    Devoted May 2020
    Jill ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I think this is directed towards me and if so you are welcome! My dad passed away in 2011 so I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I will probably have my grandpa walk me with one of those charms around my bouquet. It will be a beautiful day and just know he would be so proud of you!

• Laura
    Rockstar October 2019
    Laura ·
    • Flag

Do you have a close female family member or friend? My father is gone too and I'd planned to walk alone, but my future stepson wants to.

• S
    Devoted October 2019
    Summer ·
    • Flag
    Can anyone on your mom's side walk you?
  • Ivy ORP
    Rockstar October 2019
    Ivy ORP ·
    • Flag

If you have a female family member, they could walk you too. I have seen brides walk alone a few times before. You could carry a locket with his picture so he is still with you on the walk either way. I'm very sorry for your loss.

• earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    • Flag

I'm sorry about your loss. Anyone can walk you down, male or female, if you want someone. However, walking alone is also fine, and this is what I did. I didn't have anyone I wanted to ask and it was a symbolic gesture on my part that I was walking down the aisle as an independent woman confident in my choice of partner.

i have to walk alone... 1

i have to walk alone... 2

• Stephanie
    Expert April 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you for the insight. I love gaining a different perspective. Smiley shame

• Stephanie
    Expert April 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Sweet. Thank you for your condolences. You looked beautiful. I love how you ladies are representing Independence. I am all for girl power. It makes me feel a little bit better. Thank you so much. Smiley love

• Stephanie
    Expert April 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you so much. Yeah another young lady suggested the same thing. Something to think about. Thanks dear.

• Stephanie
    Expert April 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

No. Not really. :-(

• Stephanie
    Expert April 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I think I would rather walk alone than to pick someone random to try and fill the big shoes of my father. I want my mom to enjoy the day and take it all in and look pretty. I don't want her to have any other obligations.

• S
    Devoted October 2019
    Summer ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ok, sorry you are going through this. I know several brides who have walked themselves down.
  • Stephanie
    Expert April 2020
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yeah, I have a lot of people with a lot of suggestions and sometimes I just want the noise to stop ya know. Thanks for the input dear.

Comment on this discussion