E
Beginner May 2023

i Felt Pressure to try on Dresses and Bought My Dress too Early

Emma, on July 22, 2021 at 7:12 PM

Posted in Wedding Attire 21

My female relatives have been super excited for my wedding! Since I got engaged, they’ve been asking me what types of dress I want. We talked and looked at pictures, and it was all good! But then they started to pressure me to schedule bridal appointments really early… This was January of this year,...
My female relatives have been super excited for my wedding! Since I got engaged, they’ve been asking me what types of dress I want. We talked and looked at pictures, and it was all good!

But then they started to pressure me to schedule bridal appointments really early… This was January of this year, and I’m not getting married until May 2023. I kept saying no it’s too early, but they kept saying “oh come on, it’s just for fun, we don’t have to buy anything.”
So I took the plunge and went to the store “just for fun.” At my first bridal appointment, I got pressured into buying a show stopping dress. Honestly, I looked amazing. But I left so upset because I didn’t feel ready to commit, even though my whole entourage wanted me to.
I said no more… but then I was told I wasn’t being any fun. So we went this summer to a store that sells samples, since I thought I wouldn’t be as interested. I found a mint condition dress I absolutely loved. It was highly discounted, so my $2,300 dress was only $500. It felt right, it had everything I loved, and I didn’t want to leave without it in case someone else got it or damaged it.
And now I’m hearing “I’m surprised you bought your dress this early.” *eye roll*
I’m not blaming anyone. This is all on me- we didn’t have to go, I could’ve been strong and just let them tease me. I’ve heard time and time again many brides fall in love with the first dress you try on, and “just trying it on” often leads to finding the one. And I knew that I would fall in love with something very early on.
Did anyone else end up doing something similar? And/Or Did you regret getting your dress too early?
I absolutely love the dress now though 🥰 every time I see a new dress advertised to me, I just think “but it’s not as great as mine”
cfb_1487283.jpg
cfb_1487285.jpg

21 Comments

• Ellen
    Devoted October 2021
    Ellen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups