E
Beginner May 2023

i Felt Pressure to try on Dresses and Bought My Dress too Early

Emma, on July 22, 2021 at 7:12 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 21
Saved
My female relatives have been super excited for my wedding! Since I got engaged, they’ve been asking me what types of dress I want. We talked and looked at pictures, and it was all good!

But then they started to pressure me to schedule bridal appointments really early… This was January of this year, and I’m not getting married until May 2023. I kept saying no it’s too early, but they kept saying “oh come on, it’s just for fun, we don’t have to buy anything.”
So I took the plunge and went to the store “just for fun.” At my first bridal appointment, I got pressured into buying a show stopping dress. Honestly, I looked amazing. But I left so upset because I didn’t feel ready to commit, even though my whole entourage wanted me to.
I said no more… but then I was told I wasn’t being any fun. So we went this summer to a store that sells samples, since I thought I wouldn’t be as interested. I found a mint condition dress I absolutely loved. It was highly discounted, so my $2,300 dress was only $500. It felt right, it had everything I loved, and I didn’t want to leave without it in case someone else got it or damaged it.
And now I’m hearing “I’m surprised you bought your dress this early.” *eye roll*
I’m not blaming anyone. This is all on me- we didn’t have to go, I could’ve been strong and just let them tease me. I’ve heard time and time again many brides fall in love with the first dress you try on, and “just trying it on” often leads to finding the one. And I knew that I would fall in love with something very early on.
Did anyone else end up doing something similar? And/Or Did you regret getting your dress too early?
I absolutely love the dress now though 🥰 every time I see a new dress advertised to me, I just think “but it’s not as great as mine”
i Felt Pressure to try on Dresses and Bought My Dress too Early 1
i Felt Pressure to try on Dresses and Bought My Dress too Early 2

21 Comments

Latest activity by Ellen, on July 27, 2021 at 10:28 AM
  • Rosie
    Rockstar February 2022
    Rosie ·
    • Flag

Your dress is beautiful!

And you know, I honestly don't think there's too much downside about buying early except having to store it, and potential weight loss or gain in the intervening months.

I bought my dress in June 2020 for our September 2021 wedding (covid willing, eyeroll). I was worried it might be delayed due to not just materials being harder to get due to covid, but also shipping being delayed generally, but it ended up arriving 6 weeks earlier than anticipated, in October 2020. I held onto it in the cupboard until June this year, when alterations started (until covid lockdown happened here and I can't get anything done).

If you're a decisive person, I don't think there's anything to worry about. I mean, $500 is a HUGE bargain! I don't think you'll ever look back and be like, damn I wish I waited until closer to the day and spent 4 times as much.

• M
    VIP January 2019
    Maggie ·
    • Flag

I think this is a good lesson for you to stand firm and not let yourself be pushed around from here on out. This same group of people will likely try this same behavior many times between now and your wedding date, but you are on to them now and know what you need to do to keep them at bay.

• AJ
    Super October 2022
    AJ ·
    • Flag
    It’s a stunning dress! I found my one a few days ago (a year and 3 months before my wedding so not super super early) the sales person tried to pressure me into buying it without showing my mom and maid of honor 🙄 I went with my future mother and sister in law. I’ll be going to another shop in September (has a bigger selection than the first shop I went to and has the same designer/dress I love) with my mom and maid of honor to say yes to the dress, if I don’t find something else (which I don’t think I will) I’m glad you love your dress, and family can be annoying.
  • Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    That's a really pretty dress!
  • JM Sunshine
    JM Sunshine ·
    • Flag
    The dress is gorgeous!!! I can't imagine wanting anything else. If for some reason between now and 2023 you decide you love something else, you could sell it. Considering the cost of most wedding dresses, you got yours for an awesome price.
  • Michelle
    Rockstar April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    Your dress is gorgeous! I bought my dress at my first shopping trip & definitely didn’t regret anything! Bought it August/ September of ‘19 for our 4/3/21 wedding.
  • Allie
    Super November 2021
    Allie ·
    • Flag

First, your dress is BEAUTIFUL. I bought my dress very early as well, and it was a blessing in disguise for me. We went pre-Covid, so I could try on without a mask and without worry, and my dress came in the day before the store closed down due to Covid, so I had it in my possession. I heard a lot of brides having issues getting their dresses in for their day so I was really thankful I had mine, even though I had time! Anyways. When I put my dress on I had the feeling and just knew it was the one. I haven't changed my mind since. Sometimes I'll see a photo of a dress and think, "would I have liked that?" but then I just remember my dress and look at photos and remember I got a good one. Just keep reminding yourself that you love it!

• E
    Beginner May 2023
    Emma ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Wow! It’s so great that it came in early and you had it- it was truly meant to be!!!

And that’s true- if anything I should be glad I have it so early and not worry about it!
  • E
    Beginner May 2023
    Emma ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It Absolutely was. I think now that I know how this makes me feel, I’ll be wary for next time.
  • E
    Beginner May 2023
    Emma ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    The sales people can be so pushy! I think that causes most of the stress on my first trip, honestly. I hope your trip goes well!!! ☺️
  • E
    Beginner May 2023
    Emma ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you 😊
  • E
    Beginner May 2023
    Emma ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s true, I could sell it before if I wanted to and get a new one. My mom and I talked last night and she said the same thing, so I’m feeling a little better I’m not locked in. But I still really love the dress and think it’s still the one 😊
  • E
    Beginner May 2023
    Emma ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That truly is blessed timing!! It’s one of many signs it really is “the one”!
  • Jenny
    Savvy April 2022
    Jenny ·
    • Flag
    Your dress is gorgeous! Similar to mine but with straps! And no I think once you find “your” dress you just know!
  • Kari
    Master May 2020
    Kari ·
    • Flag

Beautiful dress!

It's so easy to get wrapped up in wedding hype - including pressure from family, friends, society, and social media. Most of the things I was happiest about regarding my wedding were things that felt right to me and the things I was most "meh" about in the end were things I was never really sure about but may have swayed to internet/social media pressure.

• Ellen
    Devoted October 2021
    Ellen ·
    • Flag
    I bought mine in November 2020. Wedding is October 9 2021. I was so stressed about it and didn’t think I’d find one. I went to David’s Bridal with FSIL and they had asked me to describe basically what silhouette and style I liked. I think I said A line, more fitted, romantic and lace. That’s it. So the young lady says your dress is upstairs and she pointed at it. I said OMG! Are you kidding me?!? It was exactly what I would have picked out. Tried it on, and fell completely in love with it. It actually fit perfectly. I cancelled other bridal shop appointments and stopped looking. I don’t regret my decision.
  • Ellen
    Devoted October 2021
    Ellen ·
    • Flag
    i Felt Pressure to try on Dresses and Bought My Dress too Early 3
    i Felt Pressure to try on Dresses and Bought My Dress too Early 4Sorry pic posted twice and can’t delete the second one....
  • E
    Beginner May 2023
    Emma ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you 🥰
  • E
    Beginner May 2023
    Emma ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That’s such a good point! I’m already feeling meh about the things I felt pressured into ::
  • E
    Beginner May 2023
    Emma ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Beautiful dress!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics