Skip to main content
purplekitten
Master October 2015

How much to tip photographer?

purplekitten, on September 14, 2015 at 5:19 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 11
Saved

I'm trying to plan how much cash I need to bring on the wedding trip. Here's the details about the photographer:

- In Mexico

- Photographer is not owner or part-owner of the photography company (as far as I know; seems like the company has several or even many employees)

- 8 hour package for $3500

Twenty percent is $700, and that just seems.... REALLY high.

What would be appropriate?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Willie Hooper, on September 15, 2015 at 1:27 PM
  • Ostrich
    Master April 2016
    Ostrich ·
    • Flag

The photographer is not the owner, but also not part of a photographer company? Can you clarify this part?

• purplekitten
    Master October 2015
    purplekitten ·
    • Flag

Sorry. I mean "He is not the sole proprietor, nor does he hold partial ownership. Rather, he is an employee."

• Ostrich
    Master April 2016
    Ostrich ·
    • Flag

Got it. From the top two search results on Google:

Photographers/videographers: $100-$200 if the pro is part of a larger outfit or agency (but not the owner). Second shooters should receive $50-$75.

Photographer/videographer: If you’re paying a flat fee with no overtime, $100

My experience with working with an owner of their business: No need to tip owners, but if they do a great job (or you want to give them incentive to get wedding photos to you in a timely manner) let them know you'll send a tip upon delivery of the final product.

• Kinsey
    VIP October 2015
    Kinsey ·
    • Flag

I wish they would build in gratuity to their contracts. I feel like if it weren't for WW, I wouldn't even know to tip vendors. I don't mind tipping, they 100% deserve but its not something I really want to tack on to the long list of shit to do for the wedding. I am just hangry.

• purplekitten
    Master October 2015
    purplekitten ·
    • Flag

@e=mc2 - Thanks! that's super helpful.

@Kinsey - I feel the same way! I don't even like carrying over $100 cash like, EVER, and now I have to travel with hundreds of dollars on me! Yuck!

• C
    Devoted April 2016
    C ·
    • Flag

Have you checked the contract to make sure that the tip/gratuity is not already included? If it's not already included, then you could tip about $100 - $200 to the primary photog and $50 - $75 for a second shooter (depending on how happy you are with the service provided). Those amounts looks to be a common recommendation based on a quick internet search.

Emily - I think OP means that the photographer is not the owner or even a part owner of the company/studio. I take it to mean that the photographer is probably only getting a salary, instead of getting profit-sharing or some other ownership-type benefit.

• Mrs.Reyes2B
    Super August 2016
    Mrs.Reyes2B ·
    • Flag

Wait, so my photographers are the actual owners ... No tip needed unless I'm feeling generous?

• FormerUser
    Master July 2015
    FormerUser ·
    • Flag

Our photographer was the owner, but I gave her a bit over ($40) because she stayed awhile (by her choice) after our contracted time and I just loved her.

• Bethie
    Master May 2016
    Bethie ·
    • Flag

If they own the company, you don't need to tip but getting slipped a $50 or a $100 is always nice. I'd say for an employee and not the company owner, $100 would be sufficient.

• LadyMonk
    Master September 2014
    LadyMonk ·
    • Flag

I agree with a couple hundred. Ours was a husband/wife team so we didn't tip separately, just one lump sum.

Mrs.Reyes2B - Yes, typically you only tip employees, not business owners since business owners can set their own prices, whereas employees don't.

• Willie  Hooper
    Willie Hooper ·
    • Flag

100-200 bucks. Even if he WAS an owner 100-200 bucks

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics