Erin
Expert May 2020

How much is too much?

Erin, on July 9, 2019 at 2:58 PM Posted in Hair and Makeup 0 27
Saved

If you don't mind me asking, how much are you guys spending on your makeup? I've gotten quotes for around $200 everywhere I look for airbrush and false lashes, including trial. I don't usually spend a lot on makeup (I buy drugstore EVERYTHING), so is that standard pricing??

27 Comments

Latest activity by Zoe, on July 10, 2019 at 12:22 PM
  • Allie
    Master August 2019
    Allie ·
    • Flag

It depends on your area. My makeup is going to be $50 but it's not airbrush. I got quotes for $500 for my hair and makeup. A lot for $175 for makeup.

• Erin
    Expert May 2020
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Wow how'd you manage to cut your price so much? I would have someone I know do it, but we all suck at makeup and/or don't wear it. I would say I'm the girliest one in my wedding party, plus I'm the bride, so I really want my makeup to look good! I would try standard makeup, but I'm getting married outside in the heat, so I need something sweat-proof!

• Brittanie
    Dedicated June 2020
    Brittanie ·
    • Flag
    I won't be doing airbrush so I have no clue on that, but I asked around and have a ton of friends that do makeup for people for prom and parties so thankfully they're willing to help a girl out and only charge about $50 per face. If you haven't already I would ask friends and family if there's anyone you can trust that would be willing to help you out. Definitely ask if they have reference photos of their work, and maybe see if they can help you with any deals (like me and my BMs will be doing foundation and contouring on ourselves, so I'm not paying someone else to do it).
  • Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    I paid $125 for non airbrush makeup not including a trial. If I would’ve done a trial it would’ve been an extra $90. So that sounds standard.
  • Mrs. S
    Master November 2019
    Mrs. S ·
    • Flag
    Mine is $120, but I’ve spent $200 just buying my own makeup at Ulta.
  • Lauren
    VIP September 2019
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

$200 +tip. The makeup artist is a co-worker of my sister, this is her side gig. If I travel to her for the trial it is free. She is coming to my house day of. Non-airbrush, false lashes included.

• Hannah
    Dedicated September 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    For my makeup and hair, plus makeup and hair for all 4 of bridesmaids, plus my moms hair, my hair dresser is charging us $650! That includes a trial for me!
  • Allie
    Master August 2019
    Allie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I found someone not from a salon. "Bridal makeup" was immediately at least $200 it seemed like. I have a friend from around the area I'm getting married and he gave me the names/instagrams of girls he knew who did hair and makeup, but didn't work at a salon that would charge me an arm and a leg. I looked through their work on Instagram and the one I liked happened to have great prices!

• Anna
    Super April 2020
    Anna ·
    • Flag
    Just look around. On Instagram and see what they charge. Mine is charging me 60 with lashes, no airbrush. Before her I was looking at 200 to 230. So just look at brides in your area and see of they tag their makeup artist. Some do and go from there.
  • Kristin
    Super November 2019
    Kristin ·
    • Flag

I am just outside of Chicago. Its $100 for airbrush w/ lashes and $80 for the trial. I have a friend of FSIL doing my hair (professional) so she is cutting me a deal on that portion.

• Rachel
    Super July 2019
    Rachel ·
    • Flag
    I’m paying $450 with a trial! I originally had someone booked for $320 and at the trial she did an awful job on my hair and had a really negative offputting personality so I’m just glad I was able to book someone else who was nice and competent less than 4 weeks out from the wedding!
  • Rachel
    Super July 2019
    Rachel ·
    • Flag
    If I was just doing makeup it would be about half that!
  • Michelle
    Super August 2019
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    I'm just doing regular makeup. No air brush or false lashes or anything so it's only costing me $55.
  • Jo
    WeddingWire Administrator May 2015
    Jo ·
    • Flag

Hi Erin! Where are you getting married? The WeddingWire Cost Guide can give you info on national averages, as well as regional averages if you enter your state

• Kiley
    Expert November 2019
    Kiley ·
    • Flag

It depends on the area and the vendor. I wasn't willing to break the budget for hair/makeup. I know they are important, but the quotes of over $200 were high for me especially because many vendors want roughly the same amount for a trial.. I did some shopping around and actually found a vendor here on Wedding Wire who will come to the venue, and do my hair/makeup for $65 each ($130 total), which includes falsies, airbrush or contour. Her trials are much more affordable as well.. and her team for the bridesmaids fit better into their budgets as well.

• Monique
    Master December 2019
    Monique ·
    • Flag
    My makeup will be free. My mom is a director in mary Kay and has learned how to do amazing makeup on a daily basis. She’s going to do my makeup and we will be setting it with a finishing spray. She said she has 8 ideas in mind to try before the big day. I wont Be doing false lashes but using two different types of mascara to achieve the look I want with my lashes.
  • Angerra
    VIP August 2019
    Angerra ·
    • Flag
    My makeup will be $75. I love makeup, but I refuse to pay over $100.
  • Cristy
    Master May 2021
    Cristy ·
    • Flag

I've found that it depends a lot on your area. I'm paying that same amount in California. But I have talked to others who are paying less. But that's what you'd expect in a lower cost of living area.

I'm like you, buy drugstore everything. I don't like to spend a lot of money on makeup because I don't wear it all that often--just a little eyeliner and mascara on the daily. So, putting out $200 for one day's makeup is killing me!!

But it's my day to be (and look like) a princess, so I gotta do it!

• Desirae
    Beginner September 2019
    Desirae ·
    • Flag
    I live in Texas I'm paying $50 for a full face and lashes, but doesn't include trial
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I'm spending $120 on makeup (not airbrush but including lashes), $40 for trial, and $50 for travel. She is doing hair too so total my HAMU is $240, bridesmaids/moms are $140, travel is $50, and extra artists are $200 per artist (I need 4 people total since we have a large bridal party). I'm in Denver.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics