Elaine
Dedicated October 2020

How many couples are scaling back their wedding due to the pandemic?

Elaine, on August 28, 2020 at 8:25 PM Posted in Planning 3 39
Saved

How many couples are scaling back their wedding due to the pandemic?

My fiance and I have cancelled our wedding reception, we don't want to take the risk and then someone acts stupid and someone gets sick. We also have a plan to video livestream via youtube for friends and family who can't make it in person to the wedding. We're strongly discouraging people to fly in.

What is everyone else doing?

39 Comments

Latest activity by Dtzdance, on September 5, 2020 at 8:12 PM
  • Margaret
    Master October 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag
    Flying right now is probably one of the safest forms of transportation; airports and airlines are taking more cleaning precautions than they ever have before. I’d fly before driving as who knows what germs lie in public stops.

We always wanted a smaller wedding and thank goodness because it’s allowing us to have everyone we invited.

• Elaine
    Dedicated October 2020
    Elaine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

What I say about COVID, is that it's a blessing and a curse. My mom, as soon as she knew I was getting married, she wanted a big wedding for me. But my fiance and I wanted to keep things small from the beginning and now, we have a legitimate reason to keep things small, the pandemic.

I was also thinking about video livestreaming a long while back, and it just makes sense to do that now since I have a lot of family overseas and his family live out of state anyway.

• Margaret
    Master October 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That it has been! Things always work out the way they are supposed to
  • Chrysta
    Master November 2022
    Chrysta ·
    • Flag
    I’m actually going the opposite way 🤦🏼‍♀️ Rather than scaling back, I have postponed until the end of next year and have gone bigger and better! I was feeling really down & disappointed about the prospect of a covid wedding or having to push our wedding go out a whole additional year, so I decided to push it back & add all the extras I’d wanted (since we had a whole additional year to save more money). It’s made me excited about our wedding & planning again!
  • Cherie
    Savvy September 2021
    Cherie ·
    • Flag
    I’m in the same boat on this. It’s very scary to me and things just can’t be the way I had originally planned. There has to be less people and it has to be outside. Non of the parties are going to happen, bridal shower, Bachelorette party
  • A
    Super September 2020
    Alli ·
    • Flag
    Going from 50 to 15 and spending the extra money my on us! So it has worked out nicely. Never wanted a big wedding, so covid was a great way to get out of the wedding of 50 lol have to look at the positives. Best wishes!
  • VIP August 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I definitely feel this way! I had a vision of a small wedding, but my partner and our respective parents had different ideas. I also have a big family that I didn't want to hear decades of passive aggressive complaints from, so we planned a big wedding. And then...COVID. We had a miniwedding with only 15 people, including us. It was even smaller than the wedding I had imagined, but it was also better and much different than what I had in mind. We're still having a reception next year, but I'm a lot less nervous about it.

• Jenna
    Beginner October 2020
    Jenna ·
    • Flag
    We scaled down our numbers from 325 to 120. Majority of our guests are family members or very close friends that we have seen during COVID. Originally we were going to have a small ceremony and reception with just our immediate family, but I can barely handle planning one wedding let alone two!
    I wish you guys the best of luck on your special day!
  • Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    We are having a minimony in October with about 30 people. Our bigger wedding is scheduled for March 2021 as of right now
  • Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring ·
    • Flag
    We cancelled our venue and were fortunate to get all of our money back. We are going to elope without any guests.
  • Sexypoodle
    Master October 2021
    Sexypoodle ·
    • Flag
    We postponed our October 2020 wedding to October 2021. We only have 60 guests invited. So, it’s already a fairly small guest count.
  • Elaine
    Dedicated October 2020
    Elaine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

We're hoping in a year that we should have a vaccine and maybe by then, we have a nice one-year anniversary party with all friends and family invited. I always wanted to avoid postponing the wedding and was always open to scaling things back if we needed to.

• Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    We initially were planning on downsizing from 120 guests to 75 guests, and then just ended up postponing altogether to 2022.
  • Nicole
    Master September 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    Went from a 200+ wedding to a 10 person (including officiant and photographers) “elopement”. Big party for next year.
  • Molly
    VIP September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag
    We went from 130 to 50 guest that are all local but 2. Our wedding is completely outdoors and we will have masks available and tons of hand sanitizer.
  • Mrs.a
    Master October 2021
    Mrs.a ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Love this attitude! That is exactly what we’re doing and I feel the same way! 💫
  • Mrs.a
    Master October 2021
    Mrs.a ·
    • Flag
    I’m not sure is scaling back is appropriate for what we’re doing lol we went from 1 simple ceremony & reception to 3 ceremonies on 3 separate dates!
    We had a commitment ceremony, we’re having our minimony and having a vow renewal & celebration next year. As other PP stated it’s giving us time to plan & save to do things better & differently, and gives us something to look forward to 😊✨🌙
  • Marissa
    Expert October 2020
    Marissa ·
    • Flag
    We scaled back from about 50 guests to now 25. Like others said it's actually been a blessing in disguise for us too. We both originally wanted our wedding to be super small, but during planning I got carried away and invited a few more people. Now covid has pretty much forced us to downsize and we love the much smaller intimate wedding a lot better! And we are livestreaming our ceremony, which I'm actually super excited about because we can invite even more people to watch than we originally planned!
  • Jaime
    Beginner August 2020
    Jaime ·
    • Flag
    I am actually getting married today, the ceremony will be outside (weather permitting) and reception inside. About 80 people, we are taking precautions to the best that we can, hand sanitizer will be openly available, all disposable dinnerware and guests are welcome to wear masks.
  • Jai
    Rockstar May 2020
    Jai ·
    • Flag
    We went from a 92 person wedding to 7. Got married in an outdoor garden and reception at our apartment

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics