Allison
Just Said Yes June 2021

How do i decide if i should postpone?? How late can i wait to make a decision??

Allison, on April 5, 2020 at 8:34 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 6
Saved

My wedding is June 13th... I haven't been able to get ahold of our venue yet to find out what dates they have available later in the year... but I also just don't know how to decide if June 13 will be ok?? How long can I wait before making that decision?? We already had to cancel a shower and the Bachelor Party... those things are easier to reschedule though. What are your thoughts??

6 Comments

Latest activity by Amy, on April 13, 2020 at 2:36 PM
  • Mandi
    Master October 2020
    Mandi ·
    • Flag
    I was able to postpone 11 days out with zero issues.

I'd wait til mid May before making any decisions.
  • Alisha
    Devoted August 2020
    Alisha ·
    • Flag
    I'm a summer bride postponing until next summer just to be safe. Even if things look better by this summer its going to be trial and error for a while and I don't want my loved ones to get in the middle of that so we decided to be safe rather than sorry. I just posted a discussion about the pros to postponing in case you have to make that choice❤
  • Neeva
    VIP September 2020
    Neeva ·
    • Flag

I think it really depends on how much stress it is causing you and if you are in a rush to get married or not. I felt a huge wave of relief after deciding to postpone.

We are not in a rush and knew we would prefer to postpone over eloping or downsizing etc.

What I had wanted to do was to make a decision about a month before so that there was more time to inform guests and change plans/contact vendors etc.

I think it's a good idea to talk to your venue about other dates that are available, especially if you want to get married this year as many other brides are rescheduling and then give yourself a decide by date that your venue can hold that date for you as well.

• Marlena
    Expert June 2020
    Marlena ·
    • Flag

I am set to get married June 6th and our venue needs 2-3 weeks notice if we are rescheduling. Right no we are going to go ahead as planned and just monitor the situation. If we have to postpone we will make the decision around mid may. Only about 10% of our guests are from out of town so they should have enough time to change plans.

• Alexa
    Savvy November 2020
    Alexa ·
    • Flag

Like most people have already said, I think it truly depends. I think it helps to give yourself a cutoff date to make a firm decisions and weigh the pros and cons. Neeva's response was kind of dead on with what I went through as well when postponing mine! I also felt a HUGE sigh of relief after postponing...It was truly the 'unknown' and being in limbo that gave me so much anxiety every day and everyone asking about it (some people were very blunt and not shy about sharing their fears and stressing me out lol while others were more passive and just trying to feel me out as to whether or not I was going to postpone; but nonetheless it all stressed me out). Definitely give yourself a cutoff date to make your decision. I'd say 3 weeks to 1 month depending on the locality of your guests and wedding is a good rule of thumb! Sometimes it helps to talk out the reasons why you're hesitant to cancel and why you're hesitant to keep it on and discuss with your FH; once you understand your reasons for wanting to do either or reasons for what's holding you back on making that call, it gets a bit easier to accept whichever decision you decide to make (whether to continue on or take the next steps to postpone!) I feel for ya though Smiley sad it's definitely not easy.

• Amy
    WeddingWire Administrator August 2013
    Amy ·
    • Flag

Hi Allison,

I know postponing your wedding is a difficult decision. Would you feel better if you made a decision? Perhaps setting a deadline to postpone would help alleviate some of your stress?

I agree with the previous responses. The timeline for postponement is completely up to you, but I highly recommend that you get in touch with your venue ASAP re: back-up date options, etc. Also, you are NOT alone! Here's a recent discussion with another June bride: Late June Weddings - Postpone or Not?

As you may have already seen, WeddingWire has created resources that may be helpful as you plan your wedding during a pandemic: Our COVID-19 Weddings Advice Guide.

Good luck with this big decision for your big day! Smiley heart

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics