Sharon
Devoted October 2020

How did you know your dress was The One?

Sharon, on November 3, 2019 at 6:33 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 29
Saved Save
I've been dreading going wedding dress shopping because I haven't lost any of the weight that I wanted to. I'm plus size and was worried I wouldn't find any samples that fit. Yesterday I bit the bullet and went to David's Bridal. My consultant was great and pulled dresses that worked for me. I was torn between two but ended up putting a deposit on one of them. They said I have 2 weeks to change my mind and get my deposit back.

Here's the problem though...the dress is gorgeous, I feel great and confident in it. But I didn't have that "omg, this is my dress" moment. I know I'm not going to cry and get emotional (that's not me) but I feel like I should know its definitely the one. I think I'm holding back because it's the first dress I ever tried on and I want to look a little more to make sure it is the one. Anyone else experience that?

How did you know your dress was The One? 1

How did you know your dress was The One? 2

29 Comments

• Reena
    Dedicated July 2020
    Reena ·
    • Flag
    The dress is very pretty on you.

I never had the “it’s the one” moment. I also felt like “the perfect dress” doesn’t exist. There are so many gorgeous dresses and so many elements that I liked from different dresses.

I only went dress shopping one day. I picked the dress that had the most elements that I wanted. I did have a settled feeling once I got the dress and do not regret it.

If you are unsure then I will suggest you keep looking. You can always come back to this one.

Good luck
  • Eri
    Expert October 2020
    Eri ·
    • Flag

I had a similar experience! I went to one shop with my family and ended up buying the first dress that I tried on (after trying on about 6-8 more).

Honestly, I wasn't sure how I was going to react, but I knew I wouldn't cry. I was just really happy and didn't want to take it off; when I tried other dresses on, I just wanted to get out of them and put the first one back on.

Even though I absolutely love my dress and feel beautiful in it, I'm sort of bummed that I didn't go to other places to try on more. But it's not because I feel like I'm missing out on something prettier, it's mostly because it was fun trying on dresses and I know I won't be doing that again.

My friend is also getting married soon, and she was joking that she wishes she could have a wedding in each season because there are so many beautiful dresses that she wanted!

It couldn't hurt to do some more trying on while you're within the grace period if you want, but I love that dress on you! The back is so pretty!

• Kathryn
    Devoted April 2020
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag
    Honestly I knew my dress was "The One" when I put it on and didn't want to take it off. It was the first one I tried on ever, and the consultant almost had to drag me out of it! I tried on a bunch more, then went back to that first one and just felt that certainty. Even then though, I left it and went home to think some more...but I just kept going back to that dress. I think it's easy to get caught up in the magic of shopping, and I certainly think I should have shopped a bit more. But I put my dress on again with my mom there and knew that was it. She practically had to drag me out of it again! If it makes you feel beautiful, it's the one.
  • Michelle
    Savvy August 2020
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    I think you will know it’s right for you. Don’t settle for less! There are soooo many out there. Keep looking till it’s perfect. I knew the moment I put mine on that it was perfect for me.
  • Erica
    Just Said Yes October 2020
    Erica ·
    • Flag
    I didn’t have that feeling of “ the one “ I chose the one that I felt beautiful in and one that made me happy.
  • Sharon
    Devoted October 2020
    Sharon ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks! This one does check all the boxes. I think I was too overwhelmed to really be sure. I am going to look at a couple more dresses just to be sure.
  • V
    Dedicated August 2020
    Valerie ·
    • Flag
    I’ve had 8 different dress appointments and I still haven’t had an omg this is it moment. To be honest, I’m tired of looking so I might just settle. My problem is I have high standards, a low budget and low self esteem when it comes to body image. I’m overly critical and fear I’ll have dress regret if I don’t keep looking but I’m running out of time. Good luck!!
  • Sharon
    Devoted October 2020
    Sharon ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you, Prynne! I know! So many beautiful dresses and not enough time to try them all. lol How often do we get to play dress up like this? I am going to try a few more just to be sure but I think I'm going to end up with this one.
  • Sharon
    Devoted October 2020
    Sharon ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    This makes me feel better! I feel like I should have that moment but maybe not. Thanks.
  • Sharon
    Devoted October 2020
    Sharon ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I don't blame you. It can be so frustrating. I hope you find something that fits your budget and criteria and quiets your inner voice that doesn't see the beauty in you. Good luck.
  • Reena
    Dedicated July 2020
    Reena ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    If it eases your mind then keep shopping! We all have enough to stress over and a wedding dress shouldn’t be one of them ☺️
  • Yoice
    VIP March 2019
    Yoice ·
    • Flag
    I had an omg this could be my dress moment but a lot of things held me back to make the purchase so I didn’t. I kept trying a lot of dresses after that but found myself comparing it to that one so after weeks I decided to go back and try it again and it was in fact my dress. Sometimes you need to sleep on it. The dress is beautiful on you but you’re the one that needs to like it. I think every bride looks stunning in any wedding dress but is how you envision yourself in your big day that matters in the end.
  • Becca
    Devoted October 2019
    Becca ·
    • Flag
    First, let me say you look amazing in the dress. The dress is gorgeous.

I was in a very similar position. First time shopping and found 2 dresses I loved. I didn’t decide on a dress at the time. I went to another store, tried in more dresses and all I could think about was the two dresses. I went back to the other store. Tried the two dresses and found my dress. I didn’t cry. I was just giddy on the inside and didn’t want to take the dress off even though it wasn’t in my size.

Please don’t settle on a dress. Can you go to a different bridal store and try a few more dresses? Or can you go back to David Bridal and try that dress on again. I think taking the nerve, second guessing from the first trial of dress shopping clears the mind and you can focus on the dresses.

What help me decide on the dress was imagining me in the dress at my venue. Maybe try that approach as well. But don’t worry, the dress you select for your wedding is a small portion of the whole story. The main portion of this story is you and your spouse tying the knot and becoming 1 person/family.
  • Sharon
    Devoted October 2020
    Sharon ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you. Yoice! I did feel beautiful in it. I am pretty sure this is the one. But you're right. Sometimes you need to step away, see what else is out there to be sure.
  • Sharon
    Devoted October 2020
    Sharon ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you, Becca! I think I was overwhelmed with everything yesterday and couldn't think straight. I am going to try another bridal salon just to put my mind at ease. The dress will look great at my venue and I felt beautiful and confident in it. I'm almost positive this is the one just want to be sure.
  • Becca
    Devoted October 2019
    Becca ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It sounds like you are moving in the right track. For me, even though the bridal stores were back to back, going to the second store helped me solidify that the dress I wanted was at the other store. I hope you can easy your mind and get the dress of your dreams.
  • Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    Beautiful gown. I think for me I grew to love it. I had dress envy but it never stopped me from loving mine
  • A
    Devoted May 2020
    Alex ·
    • Flag

I would go back in an try it on again. I tried my dress on 3 times before I bought it. After the second time trying it on, I realized I was comparing every dress to that dress, went make to the store one last time and bought it. There were no tears, that just not me. I do however love my dress very much and know I made the right decision.

• M
    Dedicated November 2019
    Marla ·
    • Flag
    With my dress, all I felt was, this is very comfortable and I can move better than I did in the others that I tried on. Plus, I liked the vintage style of it.
  • E
    Savvy August 2020
    Elle ·
    • Flag

I was the same way - I am not a very emotional person, and I didn't really have the "This is The One!" feeling. I just knew that it was a very pretty dress, it didn't eat me, and I could move in it, which was all that mattered to me. It wasn't until they put on the veil that I was like, "Ok, I think this can work." I don't feel the need to keep searching and searching until I find one that makes me cry, but that is just me. I think your dress looks beautiful on you!

Comment on this discussion