Heather
Beginner September 2019

Hot weather wedding advice

Heather, on August 25, 2019 at 2:08 PM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 25
Saved Save
How to keep guest cooler???
It’s going to be so hot on our wedding day.
In California- 26 days- out of money for tents
pretty stressed about it. Our pics will prob all be totally sweaty, wilted flowers, and in direct sun.
starting ceremony at 3:30pm. What on earth were we thinking?!

25 Comments

• Cyndy
    Master May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    Try to make the ceremony as quick as possible and maybe some fans for the guests. They are pretty cheap.
  • Heather
    Beginner September 2019
    Heather ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes we will have thick programs that will double as fans. 😣 the ceremony area is the only spot of shade... but everyone will be eating dinner in the sun
  • Caytlyn
    Champion November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    Is there anything you can cut to make up room in your budget for tents? It’s really unfair to your guests to make them sit in the heat for hours. Are there any optional items you can cut? Photo booth, extra appetizers, switch to beer and wine only instead of a full open bar, favors?
  • Cyndy
    Master May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh ok. And you can’t get a large tent? Maybe you can hope for a nice breeze that day.
  • Yoice
    VIP March 2019
    Yoice ·
    Wear water proof and sweet proof make up. Keep your hair up and drink LOTS of water the last couple of days before the wedding and wedding day so you’re hydrated. If you’re drinking alcohol make sure is frozen drinks to keep you cool. Keep the ceremony short and provide fans and umbrellas if possible. If your venue has different options and some trees with shades try to use that to your advantage. I would also say it to your guest to make sure they dress appropriate for it.
  • Keri
    Expert November 2019
    Keri Online ·

Is this just for your ceremony? If so, just keep it short and sweet and provide fans for guests.

If this is also for the reception, I agree with PP. I wouldn't be worrying about the pictures. I'd more worry about guests comfort/leaving early. Eating/drinking in the hot sun will not be the most comfortable for your guests. If there is anything to cut so you can afford a tent, I'd look into that. Remember you are more than likely going to get some cash as gifts on your wedding day.

• Cathy
    Devoted October 2019
    Cathy ·

My niece's wedding last year was like that. It was hot, and everyone was sweating. Dinner and reception were outdoors. At one point, the venue brought out a gas powered generator and a large fan to cool things a bit.

Can you maybe ask people you know if they have easy-up pop up tents or tailgate tents that you can borrow? It may look ugly and mismatched, but that is a heck of a lot better than dealing with someone who passed out from heat exhaustion. Make sure that your guest have water available.

• Andrea
    Devoted May 2020
    Andrea ·
    What kind of tables is the venue using for outside? Seeing as it’s CA it can’t be the only hot weather wedding this venue has ever done. Maybe they have tables with umbrellas as a slight upgrade? I’d call the venue and see what they suggest. I would think there would have to be a hot weather back up plan just like in other states where we have a cold weather or rain backup plan.
    Definitely provide lots of extra cold water and sodas so guests can stay hydrated between alcoholic drinks
  • Heather
    Beginner September 2019
    Heather ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Lol we already are doing only beer and wine. Have a guest count of 300. The ceremony will be in mostly shade but the rest will be in sun. We will see how it goes!
  • MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal Online ·

According to your profile page, one of your vendors is located in La Quinta.... If your wedding will be anywhere close to there, I think you have to find a way to provide your guests with some protection from the sun/heat. I just Googled the average high temp in September and it's 102 (the record high was 122 degrees in September!); you can't possibly ask guests to sit in the sun unprotected. People could become seriously ill. Somehow, I think you need to find the money for tents (cancel something less critical?) and industrial fans as well. You also need to have ice water available all the time. In addition, I'd be sure to let people know, if they aren't familiar, about the expected temperature and dressing appropriately for the heat. Especially for the elderly and young children there could be very serious health consequences from being in the sun at that temperature. We're not talking about being "a little sweaty." Daughter's wedding was in January in Orange County, and it was a little warm & sweaty on the patio for the ceremony when it was 76 degrees out. I don't want to be mean, but if I arrived at a wedding in the IE and realized I'd be sitting in the sun in temps of 100+ degrees, I wouldn't get out of the car and I'd probably leave and go home.

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    Definitely give thick programs so they can use as fans, make it a quick ceremony, provide cold drinks. Some people provide sunglasses as party favors.
  • Rachel
    Expert September 2019
    Rachel ·

I'd say grab some rotating fans from Walmart on the cheap and surround the guests with them. Maybe provide a basket of cheapie sunglasses for those who didn't think to bring them? Also maybe have someone hand out a water bottle to each guest as they start to take their seats. Is there any way to rearrange the timeline at all so the outdoor photography is done earlier in the day, for the sake of your flowers and hair?

• Da Mom
    August 2022
    Da Mom ·

Use your backup plan for rain if the weather is too hot. Heat stroke can be serious, especially for the elderly.

• MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    View Quoted Comment

Please somehow make your guests aware that the reception will be in open sun. I would end up having to leave if I didn't know that there would be no shade and I didn't wear sunblock.

• MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    View Quoted Comment

So much this! I sun burn so easily and there's no way I'd stay at a reception where there was no sun. I got sun burned at a 10:30 AM funeral in Ohio when it was only 70 degrees so I can't imagine staying for a reception that was in 100 degree heat and direct sun. Tents are a must for an out door reception.

• S
    Devoted October 2019
    Summer ·
    Get spray bottles to mist the flowers now and again, or have a vase by you to set them in while you say your vows (or whenever you're not holding them)
  • S
    Devoted October 2019
    Summer ·
    I would also make sure that you have sunblock for those who don't think about it, or ask some people if they could pool money together to help with the cost of the tent(s)
  • D
    Savvy September 2019
    Davis ·
    Is there anyway you can change the timeline of you wedding to have the ceremony later in the evening to be cooler and not have to purchase tents?
  • Kristin
    Devoted September 2020
    Kristin ·

Our wedding is next September in Temecula during the day so I understand your stress! The reception will have plenty of of shaded areas and we're making it indoor/outdoor so people can escape the heat but I've been freaking out about where to have the ceremony. There aren't any shaded areas in the front area where we were initially thinking so we're moving it to the back area under the pergola. We'll have to do some minimal furniture rearranging but it is what it is..

• Marianne
    Savvy May 2020
    Marianne ·

My friend had her wedding in the sweltering heat of Valencia, California (94 degree weather) last August 3 at 11 am. Guests, Officiant, and the bridesmaids (I was included) were sweating bullets. It was really hot and even the paper fans provided gave little relief. Some guests anticipated the weather and brought their own portable mini fans. It was pretty bleak, but survivable.

Since your ceremony is at 3:30, I would be guessing the ceremony will last about 30 mins to an hour? If so, the sun isn't so high and won't bother the guests that much I would think. Maybe the venue has fans they can provide or maybe get a misting fan to cool off the guests?

Keeping my fingers crossed that cool breezes come your way that day. Definitely keep all your guests hydrated. Good luck!

Comment on this discussion