Skip to main content
D.R. Bride
Expert October 2016

Help With Wedding Nails

D.R. Bride, on July 31, 2016 at 6:44 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 21
Saved

I have been getting regular manicures on my real nails for years now and have had shellac twice. I want to get a light pink color for my wedding with a white tip but not the classic French manicure, something more subtle like in the picture. Last time I had fake nails they were acrylic. What are some options that won't be super harsh on my real nails?

21 Comments

Latest activity by D.R. Bride, on July 31, 2016 at 10:32 PM
  • JoRocka
    Master September 2016
    JoRocka ·
    • Flag

Are those your real nails? Because if they are I'd stick with them. They are beautiful!

• SleepytheDwarf
    Master June 2017
    SleepytheDwarf ·
    • Flag

Good press-ons are great for a day

• D.R. Bride
    Expert October 2016
    D.R. Bride ·
    • Flag

@JoRocka No, I wish! I took this from Pinterest. They are really pretty.

• MNA
    Master April 2018
    MNA ·
    • Flag

What your picture shows is just a gradient using the polishes used in a typical French mani: super easy to DIY, and honestly, any nail tech worth their license should be able to do it with polish, no problem. You can get the look DIY using either a damp makeup sponge or a fan brush, there are tons of gradient tutorials on YouTube.

I'm thinking about doing something more along these lines, I did them a few days ago and just took them off the other night. They were a super easy stamped mani.

• D.R. Bride
    Expert October 2016
    D.R. Bride ·
    • Flag

@mna Would that be considered gel nails? Yours looks pretty as well.

• RiceAndRoses
    VIP October 2016
    RiceAndRoses ·
    • Flag

If you don't want gel---I don't know if your salon has it, but mine offers long wear polish from OPI. It's regular nail polish that lasts about a week. Definitely would be able to do something like your picture with them.

• AMW
    Master September 2016
    AMW ·
    • Flag

I agree with flighty, I'm doing press-ons because I can soak them off later. And I can decorate them before I put them on, so much easier.

• Mrs. TacoCat
    VIP September 2016
    Mrs. TacoCat ·
    • Flag

This is the exact nail color I am getting (and do regularly)

I use OPI Bubble Bath.... They then take a white polish and sponge it on the tips to give it the ombré look.

I do gels...

• Christina
    VIP September 2017
    Christina ·
    • Flag

You could always look at jamberry. A girl I work with sells jamberry and it's freaking awesome! ETA: I like the colors and patterns so I'm not sure if they have something like that but they have really awesome "classic" nail wraps.

• MNA
    Master April 2018
    MNA ·
    • Flag

@D.R.: nope, just regular polish! You can do it with gels, but I think it gets more frustrating. Lol.

• klimberkat
    VIP August 2016
    klimberkat ·
    • Flag

Since I rock climb l usually only go for pedis since I'm too tough on my hands, but I've gotten two gel manicures in the past few months to test of colors for the wedding and I love it!

Since I don't do my nails often, I have a question to the ladies who do...Do the nail techs usually charge more for something like that ombre look vs. a reg french manicure? I know they charge more for french usually, but they use a stencil type thing so it goes on quickly. I assume this is more work, right?

• Christina
    VIP September 2017
    Christina ·
    • Flag

Jamberry

• Christina
    VIP September 2017
    Christina ·
    • Flag

Jamberry

• MNA
    Master April 2018
    MNA ·
    • Flag

@Patrice: OPI is a good mainstream brand, BUT just because it wears for a week for you doesn't mean it will for others. It lasts about 2-4 days before it chips on me, and I know other ladies who can only go a few hours.

Like a lot of other products, nail polish can react with your body's natural chemistry, and a brand that works really well for one may not wear well at all for others.

I'm a big fan of Zoya for mainstream polishes. As far as indie polishes, I use my own brand more than any of the others I have.

I make 5-free, vegan, cruelty-free polish, and while most of my customers tell me it wears very well for them, there is always the chance that it may not wear well for someone.

Op, I would avoid China Glaze if you haven't worn it before though. I've seen a lot of ladies who have trouble with it chipping, so definitely try well in advance of the wedding any brand you may consider using.

• Mrs. TacoCat
    VIP September 2016
    Mrs. TacoCat ·
    • Flag

Mine does not charge more for this look. Same as a French. This was the first time I had it done. Now that mine done... They are longer now do they look nicer and will have more white on the tips.

• SarahAnn1015
    Super October 2016
    SarahAnn1015 ·
    • Flag

You could get gel polish and be fine.

Everyone loves those jamberry things but personally they didn't work for me. Peeled off within 24-48 hours. I did everything by the book and then every trick to make it work. They still never stuck quite right. ETA OPI works really well on my nails and lasts really well.

• MNA
    Master April 2018
    MNA ·
    • Flag

Gel polish is okay, but be careful. A lot of salons will buff the natural nail surface before application, which damages and weakens the natural nail, making it much more likely to cause damage when you remove the gel polish. You also HAVE to soak the gel polish in acetone (with either the foil method, in a dappen dish, or with nail caps) for 20-30 minutes usually to get the gel polish off, which can be extremely drying to the nails and cuticles. Be sure to oil up well with some cuticle oil before removing!

• TheHouseOfAllen
    Super October 2016
    TheHouseOfAllen ·
    • Flag

Following. Still undecided about which nail design to go with on the big day. I'm leaning towards French w my natural nails, but tempted w glitter ends!

• Ms. B --> Mrs. L
    Super June 2017
    Ms. B --> Mrs. L ·
    • Flag

My salon got mineral gel powder a few months ago and I LOVE it! It comes in a small canister as a powder. The nail tech paints on a clear coat, dips your nail in the powder, then paints clear again. It lasts up to a month on my nails without chipping and makes your nails stronger.

An experienced nail tech can even do a gradient like your picture shows.

Mineral powder is a great alternative to gel because it soaks off in under 5 minutes and the tech doesn't have to buff your nails (or at least mine doesn't).

• MTR
    Devoted October 2016
    MTR ·
    • Flag

That's what I want for my nails too!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics