Joan
Beginner September 2020

Help! What should i do?

Joan, on June 28, 2020 at 10:40 PM

Posted in Etiquette and Advice 29

My wedding caterer was found dead and there is foul play involved. He was the owner and operator of his business. I dont want to be insensitive to the family situation because it was unexpected however i dont have a caterer and I paid him in full. What is a empathetic way of asking for your money...
My wedding caterer was found dead and there is foul play involved. He was the owner and operator of his business. I dont want to be insensitive to the family situation because it was unexpected however i dont have a caterer and I paid him in full. What is a empathetic way of asking for your money back. Wedding is in 2 months.

29 Comments

• Joan
    Beginner September 2020
    Joan ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you julie. I was thinking about that after I posted wish I was able to edit or add an update.

• Martha
    Devoted February 2024
    Martha ·
    • Flag

Sorry to hear this, I believe its best to find a new caterer and give the family some time to grieve and get the affairs in order. Its possible they will reach out to everyone who had a pending future appointment/even with him.

• Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Ahhhhhh ok. Yeah then I can say I would reach out as you emailed months ago. I would still look into options in case they are not as responsive. I would call and say that you saw the news and you are sorry for his passing. You realize this is a bad time but you reached out four months ago with no word and you just want to know what are their plans in regards pre-paid customer events. If they plan on catering then you are good to go but if not then I would ask how are they processing refunds. Of course remain calm and keep the sympathetic tone. Then you know how to proceed.

• Joan
    Beginner September 2020
    Joan ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

THANK YOU!

• Joan
    Beginner September 2020
    Joan ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yes i agree, last thing i want is for the family to scramble around and figure this out too.

thank you

• KitandKaboodle
    Master November 2016
    KitandKaboodle ·
    • Flag

Speaking as an attorney, unless he had a partner, it is highly unlikely you will get a refund. Especially if he was murdered at his place of business. All assets of the business will be frozen until a receiver is assigned to his estate.

I highly recommend speaking with an attorney that is familiar with business, criminal, and probate law. He/She will have the knowledge and resources to assist you.

• Joan
    Beginner September 2020
    Joan ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thats good to know. wasnt sure what type of attorney I would need thank you. He did not have business partner.

• KitandKaboodle
    Master November 2016
    KitandKaboodle ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Considering he did not have a partner, Definitely speak with an attorney. It's bad enough they will withhold your money during the investigation, but probate court could take years and you would have to file a suit against his estate.

• Blane
    Savvy August 2021
    Blane ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Try to contact anyone else in charge if the business via email so you gave it in writing if you need to present any records later. Ask them about a refund and express condolences. It may seem insensitive but it was business and that is your money. Every business has an obligation to give you what you paid for or give you a refund. If he was the only person in charge, look for others caterers that are affordable and call a lawyer for a consultation to know how and when to move forward with getting back your money. Good luck and don’t sweat it unless this causes you severe debt. It’ll get handled one way or another.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics