Tierra
Savvy July 2019

Help!!- Can't sit down in wedding dress

Tierra , on June 26, 2019 at 5:20 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 20
Saved
I may not be able to sit down in my dress. What should I do??

20 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on June 27, 2019 at 4:29 PM
  • Btbride
    Super August 2019
    Btbride ·
    • Flag
    I would contact a seamstress ASAP so you can get your gown altered. They’re going to be the only ones that can help you with this situation.
  • Tierra
    Savvy July 2019
    Tierra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It’s nothing they can do. It’s a mermaid style corset back and it has everything to do with that.
  • Btbride
    Super August 2019
    Btbride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Does letting out the corset help? Have you spoken to another seamstress to get a second opinion? If there’s nothing that anyone says can be done, I would look for something off the rack ASAP. You can’t have a wedding dress that you’re unable to sit down in. Weddings are long days and you’ll get ill or pass out if you aren’t able to sit for hours.
  • Btbride
    Super August 2019
    Btbride ·
    • Flag
    I’ve also heard some people say that with mermaid dresses, you kind of have to wiggle the dress up your hips a little to loosen the pressure and then sit down. Have you tried that?
  • Allie
    Master August 2019
    Allie ·
    • Flag

It sounds like the corset is just too tight. Try loosening the dress just enough to be able to sit down.

• Hannah
    Master July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    Agree with PPs. I have a fit and flare with a corset. The seamstress said I have to lift up the dress around the hips a little and then I can sit. I have great posture in my dress lol because the back is completely straight. When I went for my last fitting, she made me sit so that she could make sure it worked.
  • Tierra
    Savvy July 2019
    Tierra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    No I’ll have to try that.
  • R
    Devoted October 2019
    Roxana ·
    • Flag

You might have to just lean back/slouch for dinner? I've heard of other brides doing that.

• Iva
    Super September 2019
    Iva ·
    • Flag
    Oh no 😱 You definitely have to be able to sit on your wedding day. I agree with pp see a seamstress asap! They are used to letting dresses out 1-2 sizes & it sounds like you will need only a little extension. My dress is also very tight mermaid, but I made sure to try sitting down & getting up lol, in the bridal store when I was buying.
  • Cristy
    Master May 2021
    Cristy ·
    • Flag

You might consider a second dress, for the reception. Something not so fitted.

• Christina
    Dedicated July 2019
    Christina ·
    • Flag
    Don’t sit 🤷🏼‍♀️😂 I can barely sit in my mermaid style dress and I’m content with it because I feel SO BEAUTIFUL in it. I keep telling myself that I can manage to uncomfortably sit at the head table for 15 minutes to stuff my face then just stand the rest of the night lol
  • Tilar Fifield
    Devoted August 2019
    Tilar Fifield ·
    • Flag
    I have a mermaid dress as well and I had this problem too. My seamstress let my dress out by 2 inches. There should be no reason your seamstress can’t let your dress out. If she’s telling you no then I would ask around and find someone else. Also you do have to shimmy the skirt up a bit, I was told that by the woman who sold me my dress! I wouldn’t give up on your dress yet. Seamstresses can do MAGIC. Good luck to you!
  • Gena
    Savvy October 2019
    Gena ·
    • Flag
    Why cant you sit in your dress?? Too big? Too tight?
  • Tierra
    Savvy July 2019
    Tierra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I believe the corset is too tight
  • C
    Super July 2019
    Crystal ·
    • Flag
    Dont sit lol
  • Futuremrsconroy
    Devoted November 2019
    Futuremrsconroy ·
    • Flag
    I had this exact same issue! I don’t know how much time you have, but I exchanged my dress. I was stressing it like crazy and just decided that I’d see if it was possible. I ended up finding a new dress that I love you even more! Right is my old dress (mermaid style), new dress is left, much lighter and has pockets! Less $ too!

Help!!- Can't sit down in wedding dress 1

Help!!- Can't sit down in wedding dress 2
  • Futuremrsconroy
    Devoted November 2019
    Futuremrsconroy ·
    • Flag
    My future sister in law had a mermaid style back in October and her seamstress was able to sew in panels to give her extra room. You couldn’t even tell! Check with a seamstress. I just chose a new dress.

Help!!- Can't sit down in wedding dress 3
  • Sherry
    Master September 2019
    Sherry ·
    • Flag

I would look for another dress to wear for your reception. You are going to be way too tired to not be able to sit.

• FutureStephD
    Super March 2019
    FutureStephD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

THIS.

My dress was a pretty tight mermaid dress. My seamstress showed me how to lift it up a smidge so that I could sit down. Talk to your seamstress and you'll figure it out.

Oh, I also lifted up my dress to go to the bathroom so.... ya... Smiley winking

(this was my dress if that helps you)

Help!!- Can't sit down in wedding dress 4

• Erin
    Expert May 2020
    Erin ·
    • Flag

I would look into getting a different dress for the reception. If that's not doable in your budget, I would just sit as best you can for photos, even if you're just squatting. Then I'd invest in some comfy shoes to stand in all night lol. I don't see many brides sitting except to eat real quick so you may be able to make it work

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics