Suzanne
Beginner May 2020

Hawaii?!

Suzanne, on May 30, 2019 at 1:53 AM Posted in Honeymoon 0 11
Saved Save
I know Hawaii is expensive... but my FH has been to 49 states and he wants his 50th (Hawaii) to be with his wife (馃槶 s鈥檆ute). Has anyone been before and have some suggestions for cheap-ish things to do or places to stay? We are not exactly millionaires 馃槀

11 Comments

• Cliodhna
    WeddingWire Administrator January 2030
    Cliodhna

Hi there Suzanne!

Welcome to the WeddingWire community

49 states, that鈥檚 amazing! So sweet he wants number 50 to be with you!

According to this WeddingWire article (The 8 Best Affordable Beach Honeymoon Destinations in the World), Oahu in Hawaii is a super affordable beach honeymoon.

This WeddingWire honeymoon section has a list of top sights and activities to do in the area, along with info on the best times to go. You should check it out - Oahu Honeymoons

Did you have a specific part of Hawaii in mind, or are you and your FS open to anywhere?

• R
    Dedicated October 2019
    Roxana

Maybe try an AirBnB? Or try to stay in a more local area as opposed to tourist hubs. But I've got a feeling Hawaii is gonna be pretty expensive no matter where you stay.

• Lexi
    Dedicated August 2020
    Lexi

I have never been to Hawaii but from what I've heard from friends who have traveled there is: Stay in a non touristy town (avoid Honalulu if possible), get an airbnb or an all inclusive resort, Everything in Hawaii is exspensive due to it being an island and HUGE tuorist destionation.

• MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal Online

We had a great stay at the Royal Lahaina Resort on Maui. Husband booked a package through our AAA membership that included flights, car and the resort. As others have said, everything in Hawaii is relatively expensive, but the Royal Lahaina was very nice without being off the charts expensive. It's located in Kaanapali with beach access and a couple of pools, tennis courts, etc. In addition to the hotel restaurant, it's a short walk to a cool little place right on the beach that we visited a couple times for lunch or breakfast, and the resort does their own luau so if you want to do that it's right there. It's walking distance to the big shopping/restaurant complex at Whaler's Village. With the rental car we did Haleakala for sunrise, the surfing town of Paia, a snuba boat excursion, and a helicopter ride over the western part of Maui and other islands. It was an awesome trip!

• Diana
    Rockstar December 2019
    Diana
    Have y鈥檃ll thought about doing a cruise around Hawaii?? That鈥檚 actually pretty funny I鈥檝e been to every state (but I rode my motorcycle across every state including Alaska) Hawaii will be my last state to visit (just no motorcycle) and we鈥檙e cruising around Hawaii for our honeymoon.
  • FutureMrsD
    Legend July 2019
    FutureMrsD Online

We are going to Maui & Oahu for our honeymoon. We are going for 7 nights, flying in from Denver. We budgeted ~$6,000 but a lot of that was nicer hotels & fancy excursions. If you can avoid renting a car, that will help. You could also wait to go until a few months after your wedding, and spend money you receive for the wedding (as long as you have a small registry) towards Hawaii. There are a ton of things like hiking, swimming, tours, etc. that are cheaper or free too!

• Miranda
    Beginner January 2020
    Miranda

We found that the flights alone are super expensive but renting an Airbnb is definitely a cheaper way to go and they have some really nice ones there. Keep in mind that food is at least twice as expensive there because of location. When we were looking into it we were budgeting for around $1,000 just in food for about a week. Hope that helps!

• Suzanne
    Beginner May 2020
    Suzanne
    Thank you, everyone! To answer the question where in hawaii: we aren鈥檛 picky. We were thinking of maybe visiting more than one of the islands if possible.
  • M
    Dedicated January 2019
    Maggie

Hawaii is definitely worth the money and there are plenty of ways to keep your costs down. The biggest is staying in a less expensive (non-luxury, non-tourist area) lodging with a kitchen/ette so you can prepare your own meals. Groceries will be more expensive that you are used to at home, but it's still cheaper than eating at restaurants for every meal.

Then prioritize maybe one or two activities that cost money (like a boat trip) and plan free and inexpensive activities the rest of the time (hiking, museums, botanical gardens, beach time, etc.).

All the islands are nice of course, but my favorite is Kaua'i (the least touristy of the main ones). One of my favorite things about it is that it's small enough that you can drive all around it in one day, but there is still PLENTY to do for a week's vacation.

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle

I went to oahu and kauai. hawaii is worth it -- but you're right, it isn't exactly the cheapest place to go to. i think you'll have a fantastic honeymoon though because hawaii truly feels like paradise!

anyway, if you're an outdoorsy type there's plenty to do in hawaii for free then because they just have the best places to hike and beautiful beaches and scenery.

i know people will say luaus are touristy but i absolutely loved going to it.

• I
    Savvy June 2020
    iris
    View Quoted Comment
    Hello if you don鈥檛 mind me asking what was the cost of your trip? And how many days did you stay. I鈥檓 just trying to see if it鈥檚 an ideal honeymoon destination for us. Thank you 馃槉

Comment on this discussion