Hopiate
Dedicated May 2018

Has anyone had a POSITIVE dry wedding experience?

Hopiate, on June 2, 2017 at 4:19 AM

Posted in Etiquette and Advice 138

After searching these forums pretty thoroughly, I'm genuinely curious - has anyone ever enjoyed themselves at a dry wedding? Most posters just talk about all the negative things about a dry wedding i.e. poor hosting, cheap reception, boring, etc. But have there ever been any positives? We are going...

After searching these forums pretty thoroughly, I'm genuinely curious - has anyone ever enjoyed themselves at a dry wedding?

Most posters just talk about all the negative things about a dry wedding i.e. poor hosting, cheap reception, boring, etc. But have there ever been any positives?

We are going to have a dry reception because of a variety of reasons (religion of guests, medical reasons for myself and guests, AA guests, etc.) and I come from an area where dry receptions are pretty common (LOTS of Mormons) so I'm not worried about my guests giving me side-eye. I just would like to know if anyone here has had a good time at a dry reception, and if you did, what made it fun, despite not having the typical party atmosphere? Was there really good food, a fun non-alcoholic drink bar, or something else?

(I'm not looking for the typical "No. Just don't have one." responses. I've already read plenty of reasons not to have a dry reception.)

138 Comments

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

@Nonna, so true. Even mine, lol...

• mel
    Super September 2017
    mel ·
    • Flag

I went to my then-boyfriend's cousin's Mormon wedding and it was so boring. It was in November so the sun set around 5:30/6 and everyone left right around that time so we did too. We spent more time getting ready and driving there and back than we actually did at the wedding.

• TheeOne2Love
    VIP December 2017
    TheeOne2Love ·
    • Flag

I never been to a dry wedding. That's just not a thing in my circle. At minimum I have been to weddings with a cash or wine/beer bar only.

I can understand a dry bar when NO ONE drinks. Its a waste of money. But if the Bride and Groom only do not drink but even SOME of the guests do, there needs to be alcohol.

I am a firm believer that you should not impose your beliefs onto others. If you choose not to drink thats YOU. I want to drink and I am a grown ass woman so I should be able to do so.

• SiberianMama
    Devoted September 2017
    SiberianMama ·
    • Flag

I have only been to one dry wedding. Lots of people stood outside in the parking lot and drank tailgate style, then had to hide it whenever the bride came looking for us. Grown adults hiding their beers like teenagers do when they hear mom coming down the stairs. Needless to say, we didn't really have an awesome time.

• Hopiate
    Dedicated May 2018
    Hopiate ·
    • Flag

I love how this got into a serious debate about beliefs and whatnot hahah this community is so great.

I just want to clarify and say I'm not forcing my beliefs on anyone. I don't drink because I get alcohol poisoning very easily (I'm talking my body will literally purge itself after a glass of hard liquor) and my FH doesn't want alcohol because of FIL's opinions. Sorry not sorry, but I'm not about to ruin my future family relationships to cater to MAYBE five people at my wedding. If people sneak in alcohol, that's not preferred, but I'm not going to get mad. If people leave early, that's also okay. I'm mostly grateful for anyone saying they had a photo booth or fun games or a good DJ. I want my guests to be hosted well and have as good of a time as possible.

• Teresa
    Devoted July 2018
    Teresa ·
    • Flag

Jay-

For the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, we believe the devil is real but not physical. He was a spirit child of God(which we all were before we came to earth) and rebelled. When he rebelled he was cast out of the spirit world. He now tries to destroy others and God by leading others astray.

So yes in a literal sense we use devil but not physical. He is a spirit.

I hope that makes sense. I am horrible at explaining things.

• Becca C-B
    Savvy September 2018
    Becca C-B ·
    • Flag

Both my dad and my cousin had dry weddings. My biggest issue was that, especially for my cousins wedding, we drove 3 hours to be there and couldn't have a drink to have fun. With my dad, he did not have a dinner or alcohol (wedding started at 7 so apparently that was after dinner could have been eaten). Obviously, people can have fun without alcohol. I just know that the weddings I have been to with vs without alcohol, the ones with are significantly more fun.

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

@Wendy; that's what I meant, sorry to not be clear....poly-cotton is biblically evil

A very, very interesting (and more fun that it sounds) is 'A year of living biblically" by AJ Jacobs (i think). At the very least it is thought provoking.

• Katy
    VIP June 2018
    Katy ·
    • Flag

I didn't even know dry weddings were a thing until I joined wedding wire..... But I live in Wisconsin. I did go to a wedding where I didn't drink at all and I can honestly say I'll never do that again.

• Ellen
    Expert July 2017
    Ellen ·
    • Flag

I've been to two and they were just fine. One that was really fun was a backyard wedding and very casual. They had a volleyball court and tons of good food. We all just had a great time and it had kind of a summer BBQ feeling

• Karie
    VIP October 2017
    Karie ·
    • Flag

All the weddings I have been to(10 plus) have been dry weddings except for one. I had the same amount of enjoyment at all of them.

• Lisa
    Super May 2018
    Lisa ·
    • Flag

I have never been to a dry wedding before.

• annakay511
    Master July 2015
    annakay511 ·
    • Flag

I've only ever been to one dry wedding, one of my close friends. It was an afternoon wedding in a beautiful ballroom. It was 6 years ago but I remember very clearly that NO ONE danced, even though they had a DJ and a dance floor. I mean no one, not even the bride and groom. I also remember many guests had brought in flasks and even bottles of Booz and 2-liters of soda they were "hiding" under the tables and pouring their own drinks. I remember thinking how it made the whole event so much less classy. And of course it ended by 5pm!

• Beecham2Barrows
    VIP December 2020
    Beecham2Barrows ·
    • Flag

My friend had one a few weeks ago. While the family took an hour to take pictures it would have been nice to atleast have a glass of wine as we chatted. We sure didn't have anything else to do... So my experience with a dry wedding was well...dry...Smiley sad

• Orchids
    Master March 2018
    Orchids ·
    • Flag

I went to a dry cake and punch reception for a dear Mormon friend. They had a ridiculous selection of awesome desserts and drinks, it was short but so sweet...we even danced a little. Smiley smile

• Jessie
    Expert August 2017
    Jessie ·
    • Flag

I have been to a lot of dry LDS weddings. They are not my favorite weddings because they don't have a party atmosphere. That does not mean I have a bad time. I usually have a perfectly pleasant time and if anything I pay more attention to the little details of decorations at those weddings.

But! I am not convinced that the reason that my time at LDS weddings has been merely pleasant is because there is no alcohol. None of my close friends or family members are LDS, so the weddings I've been to have always been of acquaintances or FH's friends; therefore, I haven't known many people at those weddings. Also, they've all been open house type weddings where there just isn't very much to do. No dancing, no games, no photobooth, no nothing but light food and punch and a receiving line. If they had other activities or if I knew people well, I think it's entirely possible I would have had a very good time at those weddings. As good of a time as at a wedding where I know the people AND can drink? Probably not, but still a pretty good time.

On the other hand, I've been to weddings where I knew no one but there was alcohol. By the end of the night, I'd danced and talked to lots of people, which I wouldn't have done if there wasn't that social lubricant.

• Amber
    VIP July 2017
    Amber ·
    • Flag

I've been to plenty of dry weddings for religious reasons. People just had fun fellowshipping, eating, taking pics, etc

• LaNette
    Expert July 2017
    LaNette ·
    • Flag

I went to a dry wedding. It was my friends. I had a good time because she is my closest friend and I was so excited for her wedding. But as I think back on it I didn't stay all night because nothing kept me there.

• FutureMrsR
    VIP May 2018
    FutureMrsR ·
    • Flag

Yeah, it was back when FH and I had just graduated high school and we went to his cousins wedding. Lots of smuggling alcohol, and underage drinking, so FH actually danced with me because he had a few drinks (at age 18). I'm just concerned that not provided alcohol will mean that people bring it themselves. It ruined that poor girls wedding.

Sorry if this isn't what you're looking for. Just expressing some concerns.

• L
    Expert April 2018
    lindabelcher ·
    • Flag

@unaware, for me, personally, I do not need someone else to get out on the dance floor for me to dance. If you think I feed off of the energy of guys sloshing around trying to be the best guy, that would be incorrect. My energy brings people to me, and I have a great time at dry weddings because I am with my friends having a great time dancing. Not everyone needs "liquid courage" to get out on the dance floor. You can only speak from your experience, and I can speak from mine. I have never had a problem at dry weddings.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics