We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Alisa
Savvy July 2020

Handwritten or typed thank you cards?

Alisa, on July 10, 2020 at 10:54 AM Posted in Do It Yourself 0 23
Saved Save

My handwriting is TERRIBLE, is it awful to print a personalized message in the thank you cards for a bridal shower and /or wedding?

23 Comments

• Margaret
    VIP October 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag

Handwritten is always more personal, maybe get a generic (worded with your words) "thank you card" and then write something personal to each guest separately?

Or do you have a friend with great penmanship that could help write out cards?

• L
    Super July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    I don't think it's a bad idea, though I would recommend at least signing your name at the end of the note instead of printing it. If the printed message is personalized towards each person, I think it works!
  • Kimberly
    Expert March 2021
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag
    Only if it is personalized to each guest you are thanking.
  • M
    Savvy May 2020
    Meredith ·
    • Flag
    I don’t think it matters that your handwriting isn’t the best. I would definitely still handwrite them! 😊
  • Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I wrote mine but my hand writing isn’t good either aha so I had to really focus and go slow when I did mine
  • Jessica
    VIP September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    It’s ideal to hand write them, even if your handwriting isn’t great. You don’t have to write long notes, just a personal message. If I got a typed thank you, I would assume the person didn’t want to take the time to hand write a message.
  • Chelsea G
    Devoted March 2021
    Chelsea G ·
    • Flag

I just think hand written is more personalized even with terrible handwriting. Maybe your husband/FH has slightly better handwriting to help?

• Molly
    Rockstar September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag

I have bad penmanship too but I would still hand write them myself. They will be much more special. Just take it slow and focus.

• H
    Super June 2019
    Hanna ·
    • Flag

I would definitely still hand write them. It shows that you really took the time to thank them properly. As a guest, I would rather receive a thank you note with handwriting that I have trouble making out than a typed response.

• Kerin
    Rockstar February 2021
    Kerin ·
    • Flag

So is my writing, but I'm planning to get thank you notes with a pre-written message and then just adding something short and sweet to them.

• Hannah
    Rockstar July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    I have terrible handwriting as well (think stereotypical doctor level bad). I just took my time and tried to write as neatly as possible. I didn't do all in 1 go. I would maybe write 10 or so at a time and then take a break for a day, unless I felt inspired to go back to it later that day.
  • Caitlin
    Expert January 2021
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag
    I would definitely hand write them because typing them makes it seem like you wanted to be lazy. Your handwriting shouldn't matter. Just try to take your time, write slowly, and personalize each message. Typed thank you cards are too impersonal. I agree with PP as well - writing a few at a time will really help it not become something you'll dread. Keep it short, sweet, simple, and to the point. Good luck 😊
  • Meghan
    Rockstar October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag
    Handwriting thank you notes is much more personal. My handwriting is not the prettiest. I just took my time writing them and they looked fine.
  • A
    Expert October 2021
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    My handwriting is terrible, but I’m still going to write them out. It’s more personal, and ink is too expensive lol
  • Jana
    Rockstar June 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Agree with this. Everyone is their own worst critic though and what you hate of yourself, someone else may think is beautiful, writing included. Your guests don't care if it's good or bad handwriting as long as the effort is made.
  • Sexypoodle
    Master October 2021
    Sexypoodle ·
    • Flag
    Your handwriting doesn’t have to be pretty... It just has to express your thanks. Your handwriting is personal to you. So I think it’s perfect!!
  • A
    Super August 2020
    Alex ·
    • Flag

It is rude to type a thank you card.

• Soon To Be Mrs. Stewart
    Devoted August 2022
    Soon To Be Mrs. Stewart ·
    • Flag

I think that's what makes the card special and more meaningful, I would love to get a hand written thank you card any day and wouldn't care about the hand writing. It just shows you took time and effort. But go with what you are comfortable with. if you do print cards at least sign your name on them all personally.

• Sabrina
    Dedicated September 2020
    Sabrina ·
    • Flag
    My FH and I wrote handwritten thank you cards for our engagement party and we kid you not more than half of them got lost in the mail. For our wedding we will do generic thank you cards and leave enough room for a personalized message. I too have terrible handwriting, but my FH doesn't so he wrote 90% of them. He doesn't want to do that again. LOL
  • Octavia
    Dedicated June 2021
    Octavia ·
    • Flag
    I say depending on how many guest you are landing to have. Then again you do have about a month before you actually send them out so maybe you can take your time and do a few throughout the spans of a day. (When in doubt use a circuit 😉). Happy planning!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles