Kelsey
Dedicated October 2020

Halloween is Only Venue Date Available - help!

Kelsey, on June 5, 2019 at 11:51 AM Posted in Planning 0 27
Saved Save

Hi Everyone!

Newly engaged and new around here, but browsing for some insights and this seems like a great place to come for honest input.

We are planning a wedding for the Fall of 2020, and not really willing to budge on the time of year. I've always envisioned getting married in the Fall and it's my favorite season. I'm not up for planning a wedding quickly enough for Spring (before it gets hot in NC), and want to avoid the heat of summer at all costs.

So, this brings me to my predicament. We found a venue we LOVE. Their only fall 2020 Saturday (almost all of our guest will be out of state, so we'd prefer to keep it to a Sat. to limit the time people need to take off from work) date available is October 31. I am definitely not into Halloween, and do not want a Halloween themed wedding. Our immediate families don't care much about Halloween, so not a scheduling issue for them. Is it totally bogus to plan a wedding on Halloween and more or less totally ignore the holiday?

A few other notes, not many of our guests have young kids, but that is a slight concern. Most single or newly married couples without kids yet, or older couples with grown children. I don't have any Halloween-obsessed friends, but I am curious what the average, kind-of indifferent to Halloween guest would think about attending a (no costume) wedding on Halloween?

Chances are I am overthinking this (typical!), and I know at the end of the day it's our wedding, but some non-biased input would be awesome. THANK YOU!

27 Comments

• Courtney
    Rockstar December 2019
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

If this venue works for you, go for it! Just because you're getting married on Halloween doesn't mean you have to a themed wedding.

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I don't think it's bad having it on another holiday as long as it's not something like Christmas ahah.
    Halloween is one of those things most people as they get older grow out of anyway
  • Formerbride
    VIP June 2019
    Formerbride ·
    • Flag
    I'm not particularly into Halloween. I like to watch scary movies and eat candy but I don't dress up and celebrate. If I got invited to a costume Halloween wedding, I'd find it VERY difficult to attend. I don't think it's weird to have it on Halloween and not acknowledge the holiday. You would just need to convey somehow that you are not doing so.
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    I wouldn’t care to attend a Halloween wedding now, but once we have children, I wouldn’t skip trick or treating with them to attend a wedding.
  • Jessica
    VIP October 2019
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    I don't think it's a problem to have it on Halloween Smiley smile
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I don't think so! You could even do fall-themed instead, so no jack-o-lanterns & ghosts and all that. And if you wanted to throw in a small aspect, you could do candy as favors for guests. I would probably guess families with kids will skip or leave early, but to prevent that you could send save the dates out 10-12 months ahead. We like Halloween and usually go out to bars & dress up, but would be okay missing it for a wedding since we don't have kids.

• NextChapterReady
    Super October 2019
    NextChapterReady ·
    • Flag

Also most cities have trick or treat during the week and not on weekends!

• Anna
    Expert August 2020
    Anna ·
    • Flag

I personally would love to attend a wedding on Halloween. I don't really celebrate so having something different to do would be great. Also, October is my favourite month of the year ! It will be beautiful. The only issue will be the kids... as they may want to be out trick or treating instead.

• D
    Savvy August 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag
    Don’t worry about the October 31 being Halloween. Just make an Autumn theme and that’s it.
  • C
    Expert November 2020
    Casey ·
    • Flag
    I definitely agree that people with kids may find this difficult. Their kids will be miserable if they're missing Halloween and the parent may be unable to let the kid go without them (for safety reasons or other.) Especially if they're coming from out of town. Be prepared for that.
    Also, just a note, if your wedding is in the evening, that the streets get busy with kids. Personally, I would hate driving to and from a wedding (depending on times) with all the kids out. This may be because locally a teenager was taking his sister to trick or treat (I'm sure at his mothers insistence) and he had them jaywalk and they were hit by a car. I think that memory makes me paranoid of driving on Halloween. Plus a lot of drinking for the adults tbh.
    Aside from all that, my purely personal opinion is that I wouldn't want to go. I like curling up on my couch for movies and seeing how cute all the costumes are and giving out candy. I wouldn't consider myself super into Halloween, but I enjoy this aspect.
  • AshleyR
    Master October 2016
    AshleyR ·
    • Flag
    I don’t really see an issue with it except a couple of things to consider, you have to decide if it works for you or not.
    Like you said, could be a conflict for people with young kids and you may end up with some extra declines.
    Some people may have Halloween parties or attend Halloween parties, they will have to decide which to attend, which may result in a few extra declines.
    -Your anniversary will always be on Halloween. Will this be an issue for you on the future? Will you want to spend your future anniversaries bringing your kids (if you have them) out trick or treating, etc instead of being able to celebrate your anniversary how you want to?

• Gabriela
    Dedicated November 2020
    Gabriela ·
    • Flag
    Wow! That’s surprising that date isn’t booked. Usually those are the first to go. I personally would ignore the holiday if that was my only date. However if I had kids later, it would be hard celebrating our anniversary every year on a holiday that will most likely be more family oriented. But if anything, you love the venue so book it! Unless you are willing to have it on a Friday or Sunday to accommodate guests more.
  • Kelsie
    Devoted August 2019
    Kelsie ·
    • Flag

I don't dislike Halloween, but we don't really do anything special because we don't have kids, so I totally wouldn't mind that it's on Halloween.

The only date available for my venue this year even close to fall was Labor Day weekend, so I'm a little worried with it being a holiday/vacation weekend but that's what worked best for us, so!

• Katie
    Devoted July 2020
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    I wouldn't care. I'm 30 and don't necessarily celebrate Halloween, but might if I had the day off and someone I really liked was having a party. I wouldn't mind at all attending a non themed wedding instead!! In fact last year, I went trick or treating with my friend and her daughter, had some wine and was home by 10pm lol. I kinda felt like a lame.
  • Mandi
    VIP March 2020
    Mandi ·
    • Flag
    I'm probably Halloween obsessed.
    If you were a close friend and all my other friends were attending, I'd come. If you were an acquaintance and my friends were throwing a party, I'd probably show up to the party instead of the wedding.
  • Mandi
    VIP March 2020
    Mandi ·
    • Flag
    That being said, I would avoid a Halloween wedding, because I think people would expect a Halloween themed wedding. And I mean I in bold as myself. If you're not that into Halloween, go for it and steer clear from anything Halloween themey.
  • C
    Expert November 2020
    Casey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Wow I didn't even think of that- Ashley has a GREAT point. Think of your anniversary! It's important and won't change.
  • D
    Super July 2020
    D ·
    • Flag
    If there are kids you could do a small candy table with treat bags and they can trick or treat there. No reason not to take the date and keep the wedding non-halloween themed. Go with it.
  • Michaela
    Super May 2020
    Michaela ·
    • Flag

I think it all depends on your attitude and presentation of it. If you treat it just like any other wedding (like a serious, important, formal, fun event), then no one will think any differently of it. But to add to that, I'm sure a lot of people will make the comment about it being on Halloween, so you need to have a good sense of humor about it too! When someone brings it up casually laugh it off and say yep sure is! People will generally act however you act

• Hermione
    Devoted February 2020
    Hermione ·
    • Flag
    As a mom of a then 3 year old.... I would probably miss your wedding because I was prioritizing my kid. I would probably RSVP no the min the invite came out. You said you didn't have many with young kids but understand the ones with may say thanks but our kids need us.

That said, this is a recurring holiday. It isn't a bad date. Fh chose Valentine's day for the date. The benefit of the holiday anniversary is you get a month of reminders before your anniversary. They put up the Halloween stuff in September and it's your anniversary is coming. What makes it a bad date is what will recur on that date.

The con is if you have kids, you can't really celebrate your anniversary for about a decade (0-1 nothing happens, 2-12ish you have to go with them, 13-15 it may be drop off at holiday party or they can go by themselves)

The other con is unless you live in a rural area, trick or treaters will interrupt your anniversary evening... Every year.

The anniversary cons for a Halloween wedding would kill the date for me. I get you want a fall wedding. I would consider a different season or fall 21. This would make me hate Halloween.

Comment on this discussion