Rana
Just Said Yes August 2019

Half my guests cancelled

Rana, on August 6, 2019 at 12:42 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 21
Saved
It's a week before my wedding and I have had 13 people cancel. When I first started planning my wedding I had a guest count of 70 people. Now there are only 32 attending. I am in tears so angry and frustrated I dont want this wedding anymore. I can't imagine facing a large room with only 32 seats filled I'm DREDDING my wedding day. I find it so inconsiderate for people to cancel a week before. Its non refundable.
What would you do

21 Comments

Latest activity by Jenn, on September 29, 2019 at 12:00 PM
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    :/ yea I know it sucks. I had people do the same for mine. I even had some no shows ! Enjoy the wedding you planned with the people who made the effort to show up. It'll still be beautiful and fun even if it isn't as large as you hoped
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

I'm not sure that there's much you can do. Remember what's important, that you're marrying the love of your life, and enjoy your time with the people who are able to make it.

• Laura
    VIP November 2019
    Laura ·
    • Flag
    Cry a little then remember you’re a big girl and get on with it. Throw the best 32 guest wedding they’ve ever seen, and enjoy every minute of it.
  • Mcskipper
    Master July 2018
    Mcskipper ·
    • Flag
    There’s nothing *to* do but make the most of your time with the people that DO show. I had a teeny tiny shower to the point that I was feeling very embarrassed leading up to it knowing it would be so small and that my bridal party girls traveled out of state for it & it would be a pint sized party. But honestly ? All that anxiety went out the door the second I walked in because the room was filled to the brim with love and support and excitement and I loved every second of it. I got so much opportunity to interact with each and every guest and really make the most of our time together. I honestly left the shower regretting having invited so many people to my wedding as the small, intimate party was so wonderful, I was upset that I’d have to spread my time and attention so thin!
  • Kelly
    Super October 2019
    Kelly ·
    • Flag

That just sucks. I would definitely be upset. Honestly just try to make the best of it.

Is the food non-refundable with the caterer? If so, I would reach out to them, explain your situation and ask if there is a way that you can replace the food with other options (like a cheese and meat board or a sweets bar) for your guests. They may have already placed a food order, and it might not be possible, but they might not have, and they may allow you change the order if it has the same amount of revenue.

Also, remember that you are marrying the love of your life, and that everything else in just noise. Just enjoy one and other. Smiley smile

Good luck!

• Jessica
    Master September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    I have about 68 on my guest list right now and if only 30 could make it I would definitely be sad too. It’s really unfortunate, especially cancelling last minute when you’ve already paid for those guests. Things happen, but you are full entitled to feel the way you feel. I’d let the venue know how many chairs you need so there aren’t a bunch of empties, but I don’t think that’s what you’ll be focusing on. No matter what, you’re going to be married at the end of the day. I hope you have a beautiful wedding and a great time with those who can make it!
  • Samantha
    VIP October 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

Even when the wedding seems like it's getting to be too much, remember that the marriage is what's important and no matter what else happens you're going to have that. Lean on your FH. It's okay to let yourself be angry or disappointed, anybody would be. But you're going to get married, surrounded by people who love you and that is an amazing thing.

• Alyssa
    Beginner March 2021
    Alyssa ·
    • Flag
    I would check to see if there's anything you could do. Like if someone can't come because of transportation maybe you can find them a ride or if it's due to not having an outfit maybe someone can share their closet.
  • Gloria
    Super March 2019
    Gloria ·
    • Flag
    I’m sorry to hear that you’re going through this but I definitely feel your pain and your anger when I got married I felt the same way I had all these people RSVP and 13 that had already RSVP never showed up or called we end up paying close to $1500 more for people that did not show up and we couldn’t get our money back so we had no choice but to call it a lost so I definitely know how you’re feeling .
  • Jazmine
    Expert September 2019
    Jazmine ·
    • Flag
    Have the wedding!!! We are only having 40 guests. Make a circle chair layout instead so it feels more intimate and realize that it will all be okay
  • Yana
    Dedicated October 2019
    Yana ·
    • Flag

Rana - i'm so sorry you had so many cancellations! That is extremely rude and inconsiderate to do that so last minute! However, don't you even think of canceling your wedding! The people who are showing up and showing up for you! They will be there to celebrate your love and make your day special. You will regret cancelling your wedding just because some people can't show up. An intimate wedding is beautiful and nothing to cry over (besides happy tears!) Good luck!

• Cher Horowitz
    Master December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·
    • Flag

This is completely out of your control, so please don't beat yourself up over this! Try focusing on the guests that will be there to celebrate with you Smiley heart

• Michelle
    VIP December 2019
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

Change the layout, see if the caterer can do something special for your guest. Maybe some passed apps, signature drinks. You can have more for your guests when theres a small list

• Stevie
    Beginner December 2019
    Stevie ·
    • Flag
    I totally understand your frustration!! It’s all very expensive to have people cancel. Regardless, just remember that you are marrying your best friend and have a great time enjoying it!
  • Julianasantos
    Savvy September 2019
    Julianasantos ·
    • Flag
    I too am having a small wedding and this is a genuine concern of mine. My advice is let yourself have a pitty party for a moment. Cry, yell, breakdown, but then come back to reality and realize how special your day will be. There are only 2 people that need to be there. You and your fiancé. We tend to get caught up in the wedding and forget that it’s about the marriage. The wedding will be intimate and lovely. You will have a unique chance to showcase your love and focus on that rather than bouncing around greeting your guests all night. ENJOY your day and the rest of your marriage ❤️
  • Alma
    Expert October 2020
    Alma ·
    • Flag
    I am so sorry! It’s okay to cry and become angry, I would too! I would suggest setting up a long table where you, FH, and your guests all sit together. It’s a more intimate vibe and will be very beautiful ! Make the best out of it ❤️❤️❤️
  • 8Bitbek
    Devoted October 2020
    8Bitbek ·
    • Flag
    The smaller wedding will be more intimate and meaningful. You'll get to have time with your guests and it won't be as much of a blur.
  • Liz
    Devoted June 2021
    Liz ·
    • Flag
    Please try and remember it’s the marriage to the man you live that matters most. I would be feeling the same way. We’re inviting 75 and hoping we have at least 60 show up. Though I would love all 75.

Half my guests cancelled 1
  • Rebecca
    Master August 2019
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

I totally understand.

We invited 141 people, and maybe 83 are coming. The majority of the nos? My entire mother's side of my family, which is very painful.

The people who will be there are the people who love you dearly. And you're marrying your love!

• Rowena
    Beginner March 2021
    Rowena ·
    • Flag
    Omg that’s awful. I’m so sorry this is happening to you. It is really inconsiderate of them. Maybe you can set up a honeymoon fund they can contribute to so you can recoup some of the cost?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics