Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Leah
Dedicated November 2017

Guests bringing more than one person

Leah, on October 18, 2017 at 8:33 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 29

So I have a lot of guests who have been asking me ifnthey can bring 2 or 3 extra guests to the wedding. Our venue has a limited amount of space for guests and I am trying to figure out a way to politely tell them that I would prefer if they only bring one guest. Has anyone else dealt with this? If so how did you handle it and how did the people respond?

29 Comments

Latest activity by Leah, on October 19, 2017 at 9:26 AM
  • MrsMtobe
    Devoted December 2017
    MrsMtobe ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

I would say exactly that. You can only accommodate so many guests and they can only bring one.

• Going to the chapel
    Master July 2017
    Going to the chapel ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

You tell them, "Sorry, but we're at capacity. Hope to see you there, but understand if you can't attend." Did you not give them plus ones or invite their SOs on the invitation?

• Ashley
    Super February 2018
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

If you have sent out the invite with their name and their name alone, with no plus one attatched and somehow stating we have reserved 'blank' seats in your honor. You kind of don't have to be polite. You have done your job in the way of making it known.

Especially if they are wanting to bring 2-3 extra.

Just simply say. "Sorry, there is no way we can accommodate your request." or a simple no. No is a complete sentence. You do not need to explain it either.

Now if they are wanting to bring their spouse, they should have been invited in the first place.

• Leah
    Dedicated November 2017
    Leah ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Ok I will try. I think what really bothers me isbthat the people who have done this are not bringing significant others, they are wanting to bring their friends that I do not even know.

• ZimWifey
    Expert November 2017
    ZimWifey ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Hard NO. This is kinda bold- after your plus one you should not be bringing another guest. Plus, these may be people you don't know well (or at all) so they're not likely to think of your wedding as a special day- just a fancy dinner and open bar (and a girl in a white dress).

• Malwen107
    VIP October 2018
    Malwen107 ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

If you gave them a plus one, they get exactly that, PLUS ONE. Otherwise, they are the invited guest, they don't get an entourage.

• Ashley
    Super February 2018
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Then a NO will do just fine if they are trying to bring their besties. This day is not for them to bring their groupies to have a great day. This day is for them to be celebrating with you.

• Janel
    Super September 2018
    Janel ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

You tell them sorry but our venue has a limited capacity so we can only accommodate you and one guest.

ETA words

• Ms. Kika
    Savvy May 2018
    Ms. Kika ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

What? Who does that? I'd never think. I agree with PP. Ummm No.

• Constance
    VIP October 2017
    Constance ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Don't tell them that you prefer they not. Tell them they can't.

• TarHeel729
    Expert July 2017
    TarHeel729 ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Tell them no. You don't have to be nice about it. Your guests are being incredibly rude.

• Tracy
    Dedicated October 2018
    Tracy ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Just tell them that you don't have the room.

• Rosered
    Devoted January 2019
    Rosered ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

I don't understand bringing random friends (plural) to a wedding. I can maybe see wanting to bring one if you don't know anyone there, but 2 or 3??? Tell them that you cannot accommodate more people.

• Trevor
    Savvy January 2019
    Trevor ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Just tell them no. Honestly you owe them a reason because it's ridiculous that they asked

• karen
    Master October 2017
    karen ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Well, I guess according to some people on WW, if they have a serious relationship with more than one person, it is not up to the bride to judge, and all have to be accommodated.

• VABW
    Savvy May 2018
    VABW ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Karen, the OP is obviously not talking about these people being in a relationship with multiple people FFS

• muriel
    Champion June 2018
    muriel ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Don't try! -do it. Write out the wording suggested above if you find it hard to be assertive. Weddings are not a casual backyard party where extra guests can sometimes be accommodated.

• FutureMrsN14
    Super July 2018
    FutureMrsN14 ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Who does that???? It's definitely wtf Wednesday.

• karen
    Master October 2017
    karen ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Victoria, well what do you do with people in polygamous relationships?

• Maria
    VIP March 2016
    Maria ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

No, just say no! You are restricted by numbers.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics