Lysandra
Expert October 2017

Guest bringing own liquor...

Lysandra, on August 24, 2017 at 12:03 PM Posted in Planning 0 27
Saved Save

I'm providing beer, wine, 2 signature drinks, and sangria. I just had a guest ask me if it's going to be open bar. I told him what all we're having and his response was a long pause then ".. I'll just bring my own liquor." Now I feel like I'm not providing enough! It seriously isn't in my budget to add a ton more so do you guys have any suggestions for another cheap drink I could add or what kind of beer would please everybody? I really feel bad like I'm not doing enough now.

27 Comments

• Blair Waldorf
    Master October 2017
    Blair Waldorf ·
    • Flag

What you're providing is plenty. That guys just a dick or an alcoholic.

• Dreamer
    Master May 2013
    Dreamer ·
    • Flag

Tell him it's not allowed, at your venue.

• KDoubleU
    VIP October 2017
    KDoubleU ·
    • Flag

You are definitely providing enough. I would nip this in the bud and tell him outside alcohol is not permitted (I am assuming, most venues do not). Unless you are getting married at a private residence, tell him no.

• Ally
    Dedicated October 2017
    Ally ·
    • Flag

Girl I feel the same way. Our venue is all open for us bring our own beer etc. So we are providing an open bar for beer, wine, and a few liquors and there will be mixers provided. I've had people say similar type things because they want a certain brand if liquor. I'm so over it at this point it's more of a "do what you gotta do" response.

• AJ
    Expert July 2018
    AJ ·
    • Flag

So rude. Sounds like you have plenty of options for guests with different tastes!

• Jaclyn
    Super September 2018
    Jaclyn ·
    • Flag

Yeah definitely a tool.

• MrsC2B
    Expert December 2017
    MrsC2B ·
    • Flag

That's so rude of them. You have plenty of variety and most of your guests should have no issue whatsoever.

• Celia Milton
    December 2019
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

You're fine. He's a jerk. I'd uninvite them; he is happily exposing you to liability which is not cool.

• Erin Wood
    Master July 2017
    Erin Wood ·
    • Flag

What you are providing is plenty. When you have signature drinks there is no way to please everyone. People are going to bring what they like. I bring a flask to every beer and wine wedding I attend because I'd rather have what I want. I don't see it as an insult. You are doing everything right. That guy was very rude for even mentioning it.

We had full open bar, beer, wine and 3 signature drinks and people still ended up at the bar downstairs buying their own. No way I was paying for everyone to drink $30 shots of scotch.

• LuvBeingMarried2Him!
    VIP July 2016
    LuvBeingMarried2Him! ·
    • Flag

What a pubic hair! You are providing enough. Ewww!

• Lysandra
    Expert October 2017
    Lysandra ·
    • Flag

You all have made me feel so much better about what I'm offering. I was so worried about it I was trying to find ways to take money from other things in my budget to add in another drink. I'm just going to leave it alone and if he doesn't like what we have then I guess he can leave and go pay for drinks at a bar.

• DandT715
    Super July 2017
    DandT715 ·
    • Flag

You definitely have enough. If he can't go one afternoon/evening without having the liquor he likes, that's his problem.

• Future Mrs.N
    Super November 2018
    Future Mrs.N ·
    • Flag

I find it rude of the guest to do this and oh so tacky! I think you are providing plenty

• IzziJones
    Super October 2018
    IzziJones ·
    • Flag

Your providing enough. Hand your guest an AA card.

• Megan
    Super October 2017
    Megan ·
    • Flag

I am having the same as you with exception of only one signature drink instead of two. I have also been asked if someone can bring their own liquor because they have a favorite or only drink one kind. I have simply said we are providing alcohol and I am sorry but we can not accept guests bringing their own and I can not personally buy every guest their own favorite alcohol. Don't let people like that get to you.

• Bemyguest
    Master April 2017
    Bemyguest ·
    • Flag

Dudes a jerk. If you have security, and/or a DOC, let them know ahead of time so he won't be allowed to bring any in. You can't help what he does in the parking lot, but at least it won't be at the reception.

• S
    Master January 2017
    SnowQueen ·
    • Flag

Rude af. you are doing fine with what you are providing. if he doesnt like it he can get over it. but i would advisrd him it is not allowed. i an spitful and have him asked to leave if i saw it but im a little a b%@$h

• Adrienne
    Dedicated October 2020
    Adrienne ·
    • Flag

It depends on the signature drinks. Like what me and my FH drink isn't stuff the rest of our families enjoys. So we are providing a rum, a whiskey, a vodka, and a tequila, a dark beer, a light beer, a red wine and a white wine, then champagne.

• Lysandra
    Expert October 2017
    Lysandra ·
    • Flag

Ugh the more I think about this the more pissed off I get. I would NEVER say that to somebody planning and paying for their own wedding. And I would for sure never bring my own liquor to a wedding because I dont think theirs will be good enough. He doesnt even know what the signature drinks are. That was just flat out rude.

• Erin Wood
    Master July 2017
    Erin Wood ·
    • Flag

Is there a bar onsite? Maybe let him know if there is and he is welcome to purchase whatever he wants. My friends bring flasks to everything so I'm just used to it. I told them all that if they get caught they'll get kicked out. All you can do is warn him.

Comment on this discussion