L
Just Said Yes May 2013

Groom's sisters as part of wedding?

luckygal79, on July 23, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Posted in Etiquette and Advice 25

My FMIL is upset that my fiancee's sisters are not being included in the wedding party, and aren't involved enough by just reading a prayer. I have 6 bridesmaids, he has 5 groomsmen, and she thinks that they should stand on his side. We are trying to make all sides happy. Everything I've read has...

My FMIL is upset that my fiancee's sisters are not being included in the wedding party, and aren't involved enough by just reading a prayer. I have 6 bridesmaids, he has 5 groomsmen, and she thinks that they should stand on his side. We are trying to make all sides happy. Everything I've read has said that having them do a reading is sufficient, but the FMIL doesn't think it is. We've reiterated that this is OUR wedding, not hers, and we will find a way to include them... I've read that having them take part in a special Unity ceremony is an idea too. Do others have suggestions for how to include them?

25 Comments

• Mayra
    VIP September 2012
    Mayra ·
    • Flag

They should understand that its your wedding ...and you chose who you want doing the special things...is not always family the ones that are there for you and are close to you...

• Tiffany
    VIP July 2013
    Tiffany ·
    • Flag

There is no plan to have my FH's sister in our wedding. She's really unreliable and irresponsible and I don't want to give her a big part. But I do feel bad and have been conisdering letting her be a hostess. We'll have 2 other people directing guests to their seats that work at the hotel. But I feel like even a fake title should make her feel better about the fact that she's not doing anything important in the wedding. Meanwhile my FH doesn't care at all. I just don't want anyone's feelings to be too hurt if the solution doesn't bother me.

• NowI'mMrs.B.
    Super April 2013
    NowI'mMrs.B. ·
    • Flag

I always thought the bridesmaids were people that were close to the bride and likewise for the groomsmen. Do you know them at all? If not, why would you have them be a bridesmaid?

• L
    Just Said Yes June 2014
    lindsay ·
    • Flag

From what I understand when it comes to who stands by you is who you care about and who you can count on. By that same token my soon to be sister in law, who I actually thought I had created a relationship with(being there the night of there first date and hanging out through the two years and helping my brother pick out the engagement ring) I assumed I would be asked, but I wasn't, because her sisters are her bridesmaids. At the end of the day, it is the bride's day, not the family.

Ps don't get me wrong I was completely hurt, but what can you do. I know putting her in my wedding will be thought out.

• Ariel
    Just Said Yes October 2021
    Ariel ·
    • Flag
    What do I do my fiance is really close to his second sister and so am I but he's not at all closed to his oldest sister she hardly knows what's going on in his life and is really rude and judgmental and calls him really bad things. But I want his second sister as one of my bridesmaids, and I know the other one is going to ask to be one too and neither me or my fiance want her as a bridesmaid.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics