Alyssa
Beginner October 2020

Gauze material

Alyssa, on October 13, 2019 at 10:37 PM Posted in Style and Décor 1 10
Saved Save
I have thought about doing something like this for a table runner. I have looked at a couple different places but wondered if you might have found something cheaper by the yard. And if you have dyed it, did you have luck?

Gauze material 1

10 Comments

• Elexis
    Dedicated November 2019
    Elexis ·
    • Flag
    Yeah! This looks like cheesecloth. I also did my own cheesecloth tablerunners. I bought my cheesecloth from cheeseclothfabric.com and used rit due to get the desired color! Saved a bunch of money as opposed to Etsy!
  • Chelsea
    Savvy May 2020
    Chelsea ·
    • Flag
    I’m doing that same thing for my wedding. I found it by the yard at hobby lobby for $8.99 a yard. They always have sales, so I’m sure you could get it cheaper. Gauze is 100% cotton so it dyes super well. But they have colored gauze too!
  • Alyssa
    Beginner October 2020
    Alyssa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!
  • Alyssa
    Beginner October 2020
    Alyssa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I saw the 8.99 wasn’t sure if that’s expensive or not lol.
  • Cliodhna
    WeddingWire Administrator January 2030
    Cliodhna ·
    • Flag

I love this, Alyssa! It’s a great idea, and super cost efficient. Will you have many long tables like this?

Definitely check out some local craft stores and see how much they are selling it per yard.

Would you like it to be navy also? Or do you have a different color in mind?

• Alyssa
    Beginner October 2020
    Alyssa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I will have about 13 rectangle at 8ft and a few round that I’m not sure yet what I will do. And yes I am loving that navy color, and I have some eucalyptus as well!
  • Tiffany
    Devoted April 2020
    Tiffany ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It could be expensive, it just depends. I work in the fabric section at Hobby Lobby. Typically guaze is not on sale. However generally there are weeks where all fabric goes 30%, so then it would be $6.29 a yard instead of $8.99 a yard. At my store the fabric goes in sale every other week. You said you have 13 tables that are 8 feet?

8 feet would be 2 2/3 yards of fabric (and that's exactly 8 feet, if you want some over hang on each side you might need 3 yards for each table).

If you still have a while before your wedding you could get some at a time... however be aware that with colored fabric, sometimes if wr run out of it and get a new bolt in the color shade can be slightly different because of the dye lot. I don't know if that would bother you or not.

Another thing to consider is that since you need so much fabric you might not be able to get it all at one time unless you ask hobby lobby to write a rain check or special order it for you! It would probably take a week or so to come in. Typically bolts only have anywhere from 8 to 15 yards on it depending on the fabric!.
    Good luck.
  • Alyssa
    Beginner October 2020
    Alyssa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you so much! That helps!
  • Rachel
    Dedicated October 2019
    Rachel ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Here’s a link to the cheesecloth I bought off of Amazon. If you go on RIT’s website you can see all the color formulas for how to mix the dye. I just cut the cheesecloth down to the size I wanted and dyed them all in one plastic tote so the color would be consistent. I was impressed with how easy it was to do!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/b07d1dyr9y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_kbjpdbfdh63dm

Gauze material 2
  • Alyssa
    Beginner October 2020
    Alyssa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!

Comment on this discussion