cgordonmk86
Just Said Yes September 2017

Gap between Ceremony and Reception

cgordonmk86, on August 29, 2016 at 8:34 PM Posted in Planning 0 98
Saved Save

Hi everyone! What are some ideas for a 3-4 hour gap between the Ceremony and Reception for your guests to do? I may be having the Ceremony at the church which only gives me an 11am time slot but I really want an evening reception. I would be able to start cocktail hour at 4pm (and have the reception until 10pm and could always have an after party at the hotel!) So from about 1-3pm guests would need something to be occupied. I was thinking of something like a photo scavenger hunt in the downtown tampa area which is where the ceremony is taking place. Id love some ideas!

98 Comments

• Mrs. RATR
    Master September 2016
    Mrs. RATR ·

If you can avoid this, avoid it.

• PressTheStarKey
    VIP November 2016
    PressTheStarKey ·

I'm going to be honest and say I would skip your wedding or your reception.

• FutureMrs.Dyson
    Super December 2016
    FutureMrs.Dyson ·

Find new venue! I would not wait 3-4 hours and of I go home or back to the hotel there is no guarantee that I'll feel like coming back

Is there anywhere else you can have the reception or maybe change the ceremony time? Maybe talk to someone and see why your ceremony must only be held at 11?

• Rebecca
    Master November 2015
    Rebecca ·

Please don't do this. My brother and his fiance are doing this in a couple months and people are already complaining. Just have a lovely brunch reception.

• Melissa
    Master March 2018
    Melissa ·

Uh. No. I would go to one and not the other. No cutesy game is going to liven a dull 4 hours.

• Del
    Master November 2017
    Del ·

I really, really, really hate gaps, to be honest. I'm all dressed up in my nice clothes and I've enjoyed the ceremony. And then I either have to go home and sit on my couch for a few hours, find a bar and start pre-drinking so that I'm already done with the party mood by reception time or else do pre-programmed summer-camp stuff (which is how I would feel about a scavenger hunt in my cocktail dress). Plus you're asking your guests to devote maybe 13 hours to your wedding; it's a LOT. I'd really rather just have a lunch reception and be done with it.

• Taryn
    VIP June 2017
    Taryn ·

Can you find another church? Is this a Catholic ceremony?

• cgordonmk86
    cgordonmk86 ·

Yes it would be. Its a beautiful cathedral downtown but they only allow for an 11am time slot. I could have the ceremony at 2pm at my church but guests would drive 30 min from ceremony to reception site...

• Taryn
    VIP June 2017
    Taryn ·

I would rather drive 30min than have a 4 hour gap.

• MizzzCara
    Master June 2017
    MizzzCara ·

I think a 30 minute drive is better than a 4 hour gap tbh.

• Del
    Master November 2017
    Del ·

A 30 minute drive is way better than a 4 hour gap.

• Going to the chapel
    Master July 2017
    Going to the chapel ·

Have it at your church. The 30 minute drive won't phase your guests. A four hour gap is far too long.

• cgordonmk86
    cgordonmk86 ·

I think so too...

• Jacinta
    Super August 2017
    Jacinta ·

Ask yourself what's more important: the beautiful cathedral or the evening reception. 30 mins drive time is better than a 3 to 4 hour gap.

• BeachDreams
    Master May 2017
    BeachDreams ·

Please dont do this. I would not want to do a scavenger hunt for 4hours in heels. The only activities that I can think of that would sufficiently fill that gap are drinking, dancing, and eating.....ETA: I would MUCH rather drive 30mins than wait 4hrs.

• Sangele
    Master April 2016
    Sangele ·

Don't have a gap. It's rude.

• mimitrue
    Master January 2016
    mimitrue ·

That's a huge gap. I would definitely not have a gap that big. Plus that makes for an extremely long day. Pick the later time slot, it's much better than waiting 4 hours

• FutureMrsLawson
    Dedicated May 2017
    FutureMrsLawson ·

I would say Avoid this. This is a very big gap, even if you gave them something to do it is a very long wait.

• CMC
    Master November 2016
    CMC ·

30 minute drive is a lot better than that gap. I know it's known as the "Catholic gap" but that is way too long

• Katherine
    VIP June 2017
    Katherine ·

There is a 20 minute drive between my ceremony and reception. I think guests would much rather drive across town than kill time for four hours. I went to wedding with a three hour gap. There was a mall nearby, where I shopped and had a cocktail, and still was bored.

Comment on this discussion