We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Maria
Beginner November 2020

Gamer friends?

Maria, on July 24, 2019 at 2:16 PM

Posted in Etiquette and Advice 28

My fiancé and I have been going over who we would like to have at our wedding. I have had my list done for a few weeks now and he just got his done. We both seem to find us disagreeing on his list he has three people on his list that he has never met before but has known them from playing video...
My fiancé and I have been going over who we would like to have at our wedding. I have had my list done for a few weeks now and he just got his done. We both seem to find us disagreeing on his list he has three people on his list that he has never met before but has known them from playing video games for the past four years. I have never spoken to these girls before and don’t know them at all. I didn’t even know they were being invited till I saw the list. I questioned him about it to see if maybe in the four years he has played with them they have met and he said no the first time they will all meet will be at the wedding. I find it really strange and I’m uncomfortable with inviting strangers I haven’t met before to our wedding. He thinks I’m being ridiculous about this but I would rather us all meet before hand than it be the day of the wedding. Any advice on this?

28 Comments

• Candice
    Devoted July 2020
    Candice ·
    • Flag

So my FH wants to invite a hand full of people I've never met to the wedding but here's the thing. I don't expect any of them to really show up or RSVP yes as they are out of state. At this rate we're going to have a fun time getting my FH's gamer buddy best man here from Texas. (I've met the best man in person but he moved away and now only talks to FH or me via video games).

• Alycia
    Super July 2021
    Alycia ·
    • Flag

I would insist upon at least meeting them over skype or facetime. I would want to see their face and talk to them in real time over Livestream.

• Jillian
    Dedicated August 2019
    Jillian ·
    • Flag

I get your concern. Are you doing any pre-wedding events that you could invite them to? That would give you a change to meet them face to face. Otherwise I may just share with him your concerns about this not really the time or place to be meeting people for the first time and the fact that your paying for them to be there.

On the other hand if they want to come and he has shared his excitement about the wedding with them and you can afford to have them I may just let them come. It is always nice to have people who are excited/supportive about you around.

• 8Bitbek
    Devoted October 2020
    8Bitbek ·
    • Flag

I would say try to meet in person before the wedding if it's at all possible, or like other posters have said and try to arrange a Skype call or facetime. I have some online friends that have been better friends and of more support to me than people I know in real life so I can totally understand him wanting them to be there.

• Katie
    Dedicated October 2019
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    What about trying to play the games he plays and meeting then that way?

Playing games can also be one of the hobbies you guys end up sharing.

I've met a couple online friends before and it turned out to be a really nice experience, you can get a picture of someone even from a Skype call if flying out is too expensive
  • Holly
    Dedicated September 2020
    Holly ·
    • Flag

I agree that it is strange and uncomfortable. You are not being ridiculous. Short similar story: when my ex and I were together, he decided to bring a random guy he had apparently gamed with (and never met until then) into our hospital room literally 2 hours after our baby was born. I guess I don't have a full understanding of the bond between gamers. I was LIVID.

I would definitely meet them before hand for obvious reasons. Weddings and the birth of babies are two occasions that you should surround yourself with familiar people. Leave first meetings for other times. Best of luck!

• Jasmine
    Savvy August 2019
    Jasmine ·
    • Flag
    My fiancé has invited a couple gamer friends he's never met to our wedding also. Except I also am a gamer (kinda) and have talked to them online. to be honest we live in an interesting time and I can confidently say that one of my best friends is someone I've never met in person. It can be a little odd for some people but real friendships and connections can be made online. Also, like I said my fiancé invited a few of his gamer friends and not a single one is able to come because they live all the way across the country. So, I wouldn't even count on all of them showing up. There will most likely be a lot of people you've never met at your wedding (your fiancé's third cousin or something) so I think a couple more people who your fiancé really likes is okay. IMO

• Joules
    Just Said Yes November 2020
    Joules ·
    • Flag

Just because they are invited doesn't mean they will come.

Comment on this discussion