We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Katie
Just Said Yes November 2020

Friday vs. Sunday Weddings

Katie, on March 28, 2020 at 5:25 PM Posted in Planning 0 15
Saved Save
Hi! So I haven’t canceled my June wedding yet, but I did call my venue to ask about open dates in 2020 that are still available. Unfortunately all Saturday weddings are booked for the rest of the year, but they still have some Fridays and Sundays open. What are your opinions on a Friday vs. a Sunday wedding? Pros and cons pleaseSmiley smile

15 Comments

• Rebelle Fleur
    VIP January 2021
    Rebelle Fleur ·
    • Flag
    I’m having a Sunday wedding. On a Sunday they usually don’t have to take a day off work they have the day off before also to prepare and if they need to take a day off it will only be Monday if it all. For a Friday they would have to take the Friday off and probably the day before too for travel. What I did was choose a Sunday where the Monday was a national holiday so no one would have to take the day off. It’s also my FH grandparents anniversary.
  • Hillary
    Expert October 2021
    Hillary ·
    • Flag
    Our original date was April 25th. Our new date is September 13th, which is a Sunday. It definitely wasn’t my first choice, but it was the only day all our vendors were available. At this point, I have no issues with it. But I think I would pick Sunday over Friday.
  • Joyce
    Dedicated May 2021
    Joyce ·
    • Flag
    Depends on what the feel of your wedding is. Mine is a black tie evening wedding, and I expect guests to be dancing and drinking late into the night, so in that case I would do a Friday wedding. People who are local can leave work an hour early, and those that aren’t will just take off a day. And that way people can enjoy themselves fully all evening. Then I would plan other events for Saturday.

If you were having a daytime wedding and didn’t expect people to be partying late, then Sunday would make sense so people don’t have to take off.
  • Natalie
    Devoted April 2021
    Natalie ·
    • Flag
    Friday weddings mean out-of-towners will have to ask for Thursday (to fly in) & Friday off. This could be great for those to sleep in Saturday and recover from the wedding, even stick around till Sunday before returning to work and making a mini-getaway out of the trip. Sunday weddings, guests only have to ask for Monday off, and you’ll know they have the time to come in since most are off saturdays!
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    We had a Sunday wedding out of choice. I preferred to have an afternoon wedding because we could spend more of the day actually celebrating and less of it “getting ready.” Also worked out better for our out of town guests and bridal parties because our rehearsal and rehearsal dinner was Saturday rather than a Friday (so no one had to take off work or leave early on Friday) and also our out of town guests could travel to the wedding on Friday night or Saturday morning and then settle in without being rushed, and could leave Sunday evening and still make it back for work on Monday.
  • Allie
    Devoted November 2021
    Allie ·
    • Flag
    We are having a Friday wedding because I wanted a night wedding and Friday seemed like the better option than Sunday for that. We do have a few out of towners that will have to come up either on Thursday or early Friday but I found that most people actually do not mind taking the time off and if they don’t want to take the time, they don’t have to come. Sundays can be very nice for earlier weddings though and a lot of places do brunch for those. Our venue only offered brunch and afternoon weddings for Sundays.
  • Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    If you can do a Sunday day time wedding that would be nice
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    For a party & dance vibe, Friday night. If that’s not important to you, Sunday brunch or an early evening 4-9 pm or 3-8 pm. But if you have a lot of out of town guests Friday night might be better.
  • Laura
    Super September 2020
    Laura ·
    • Flag

We had few options, so I went with a Friday midday wedding (12:30 pm). We met at 12:30 pm for our first date so - awww. And at this point we could only have 10 people anyway; the two of us and our kids make 5, the officiant 6, the musician 7, the chapel rep 8.... So... it is what it is...

I'm hoping, though, by August people will want to run away with us to get married. And yeah, they will probably need Thursday and Friday off. But, I've never done a Sunday where I didn't take Monday off. And flights seemed cheaper not being on a weekend.

My venue can do Sunday weddings, but my reception location couldn't. And they couldn't do Monday either. So - at this point - we'll take what we can get. I'm happy to be a Friday bride. And we're adding an after-party because - we'll all need an After-the Wedding-virus Party! We also have breaks between the functions - so we will have down time, time with our guests, etc. Relaxed photos... Level of chill. I'm a fan. Smiley smile

Fingers crossed!!!!

• Kate
    Beginner October 2020
    Kate ·
    • Flag
    We are getting married on a Friday! It was important to us that we spend as much time as possible with our guests. We are having a destination wedding about 6 hours from where most of our family and friends live, so people have the option of coming down Thursday and staying for 1, 2 or 3 nights but only having to potentially take Friday off work. We are planning to have a get-together for everyone who is in town Thursday night after our rehearsal, and also a casual brunch and afternoon on the beach on Saturday. Between these three days, we’re hoping we’ll get to spend quality time with each of our guests and make them really feel like they were part of our special weekend ☺️
  • Kaitlin
    Devoted June 2020
    Kaitlin ·
    • Flag
    Date twin here! I'm hoping we can still get married on our original day as planned but we will probably not make a final decision until the end of April or first of May. We are in the same situation that we could only pick a Friday or Sunday. I see pros and cons to both.

On a Friday people will most likely have to take off if we would do an afternoon wedding or we would have to wait until 5-6 to have the ceremony. I feel people would be able to enjoy a Friday wedding more since majority of people would be off the next day.
    On a Sunday it would probably have to be from 3-9 or so to give everyone time to get home and ready for work unless they would take off Monday. I'm not for sure if this would create the ideal party atmosphere for a wedding but for some people it may be more convenient.
    If you make a decision keep me updated because I'm stressing over this tough choice😅best of luck to you during this process!
  • H
    Expert June 2019
    Hanna ·
    • Flag

I'm a huge fan of Sunday weddings! No having to take time off work like a Friday wedding, and if I'm traveling, then I just take a really early flight back home on Monday morning and still get to work by mid-morning (if the flight is domestic). Also much easier to hold your rehearsal dinner on Saturday night and people can make a weekend out of it (as opposed to having to hold the rehearsal on Thursday which means even more time off of work for the bridal party...). I've also been to several black tie optional weddings that were on a Sunday evening, so no need to feel like Sunday means a more casual wedding.

• Natalie
    Devoted July 2021
    Natalie ·
    • Flag

Hi there, so sorry you are going through this too, you're not alone!

For us- we knew we were only going to be happy with a Saturday wedding even though that meant we would have to wait another year to postpone to.

I've just posted a lengthy message regarding this issue. I think it would really help you to read it.

https://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-forums/june-couples-postponing-due-to-covid-19-encouragement/e2e6a03e5635af33.html

All the best,

Natalie

• Katharine
    Devoted July 2021
    Katharine ·
    • Flag

Personally, I would opt for a Friday myself so that people could hang out and drink if they want without having to go to work the next day.

If you ended up on a Sunday, I would just say to have an earlier start, maybe ceremony around noon and the reception afterwards to end by around 6 or 7pm at the latest.

• Marisa
    VIP October 2020
    Marisa ·
    • Flag
    I think both are nice. I would just plan for a Friday wedding having it later so some guests can make travel arrangements and on a Sunday having it earlier as guests seem to want to leave earlier on a Sunday versus a Friday or Saturday.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles