Lindsey
Savvy December 2020

First look or traditional way?

Lindsey, on November 12, 2019 at 9:14 PM

Posted in Planning 63

Having trouble deciding.. which did you pick and why?
Having trouble deciding.. which did you pick and why?

63 Comments

• Christina
    Dedicated October 2021
    Christina ·
    • Flag
    We aren’t doing a first look. I think it’s a cute option and also can be easier for time sake for some, but ultimately I’m a sucker for a good tradition. I don’t want the groom to see me until the ceremony!
  • Ariel
    Dedicated June 2022
    Ariel ·
    • Flag
    Traditional! We're gonna do pictures with our own side of the family before the ceremony, then both of us with the family after ceremony. Then we're off for the wedding party pictures
  • Amber
    Dedicated October 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Same! I considered it but fiance would rather see me walking down the isle. I think it's a little more of an intense feeling that way, too. A first look almost seems like you're just seeing each other dresses up. I don't think the feeling would hit me as hard. But, if you need to finish setting up and getting things done together before the wedding, a first look is just easier.
  • Rose
    Devoted February 2020
    Rose ·
    • Flag

Totally traditional...in fact...I won't even be allowed to see his tux prior to. He has forbidden me from going with him to pick it out but he has a fantastic sense of style so I'm not worried at all.

• Jasmine
    Master August 2021
    Jasmine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yea. Not really complaining. It wasn't a must but FH spoke his peace and I'm ok with it. I respect his decisions whenever he makes them cause he doesn't have much to say in general lol
  • Amber
    Dedicated October 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I didn't think you were complaining at all! I just meant that's why we decide to do traditional, but I was thinking the same as you at first. There's pros to both.
  • Jasmine
    Master August 2021
    Jasmine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I'm not saying you thought I was complaining lol but yes, definitely pros to both.
  • Heather
    Devoted February 2020
    Heather ·
    • Flag
    We are doing a first look, mostly because we want to be able to enjoy some of cocktail hour. Also this gives us a chance to get way more pictures. We will be up in Yosemite for about 2 hrs before the wedding just taking pictures 😍
  • ARIEL
    Devoted October 2020
    ARIEL ·
    • Flag

Traditional. But we are both taking photos with family and our wedding party separate before the ceremony and then after taking photos together. That way we aren't taking pics for too long during cocktail hour. We were both opposed to a 1st look. Just not our thing, no matter the time crunch.

• Angel
    Expert August 2020
    Angel ·
    • Flag

I prefer traditional! My FH wants to do a first look to read our vows in private - which I'm completely against. It's important to me that the first time we see each other is when I enter for the ceremony, and to exchange our vows in front of our guests. Also, if we do the first look and exchange our vows at that time, my makeup will be RUINED. lol

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle Online ·
    • Flag
    I chose first look purely so I can get photos out the way
  • Cher Horowitz
    Master December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·
    • Flag

I was open to first looking, so I asked my FH how he felt about having one. He was very adamant that he wanted to be surprised seeing me walk down the aisle. I wanted to give him that surprise, so traditional it is for us Smiley smile

• Michelle
    Super October 2020
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

I decided I want a first look because:

1. It is a very intimate and private experience for the both of us.
    2. I think it would give us time to let our emotions out and feel less nervous before seeing eachother at the altar.
    3. I've heard from other people that it still doesn't take away the emotions of walking down the aisle.

4. Get our pictures done earlier and get to enjoy some appetizers and drinks from cocktail hour
    lol

• Erin
    Dedicated August 2020
    Erin ·
    • Flag

Traditional. My fiance doesn't want to see me before the wedding at all. We will probably do an around the corner photo and the 'first look' will be with my dad.

I'm also surprised at the amount of people that aren't doing first looks. Based on talking to photographers and here on WW, it seems pretty uncommon to not do the first look.

• Danielle
    Beginner May 2020
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

My fiancé felt very strongly about not having a first look and I agreed with him, but we ended up agreeing on doing a first look after meeting with our photographer and finding out we would have to miss our cocktail hour to take photos if we do not take them beforehand.

• Nicole
    Savvy November 2019
    Nicole ·
    • Flag

We went with the first look - we thought about it for awhile because it was definitely a big decision. It was a great choice because my husband and I had a moment just to ourselves -- he was shaking he was so nervous. It really helped calm our nerves before walking down the aisle and we are so glad we did it. We both still cried when we saw each other at the ceremony and it did not take away from that moment either. It also allowed us to spend more time taking family portraits.

• Dierdra
    Super August 2021
    Dierdra ·
    • Flag

We wanted to keep it traditional, but with a November wedding and the sunset being so early we are choosing to do the first look.

• K
    Just Said Yes February 2020
    Kim ·
    • Flag

I initially thought about being traditional but after talking we're planning on doing a first look to help get the nerves out of the way, and what I am sure will be some ugly crying lol, as well as have a few private minutes together before we are married. We will have two photographers at that time so they can get both of us the moment we turn around, so nothing gets missed. It will also help get a lot of pictures out of the way, which is good as we are getting married in February and it will be cold. My sister did the more traditional route and that was just as special for her so it's really going to come down to what speaks to you the most. At the end of the day, both are special moments in their own way.

• Sabrina
    Just Said Yes August 2020
    Sabrina ·
    • Flag

Traditional - feel like the "first look" takes away from the walking down the aisle thing and it isn't as special.

• Jessalyn
    Dedicated September 2020
    Jessalyn ·
    • Flag

We're doing a first look and I'm SO excited for it. It will be a nice pause just for us between the stress of planning and making sure all the details have been taken care of, and the whirlwind of our ceremony and reception.

I think we'll also get better pictures/memories of the looks on our faces seeing each other for the first time with a first look than we would seeing each other for the first time as I walk down the aisle. And it doesn't hurt that doing a first look and most formal photos before the ceremony also means we'll be able to enjoy our cocktail hour and not have it run long and delay dinner for our guests!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics