B
Just Said Yes December 2017

First dance on Ice...suggestions/ help!

Brecken, on December 17, 2016 at 3:33 PM Posted in Planning 0 27
Saved Save

So- our first date 7 years ago was ice skating, so we thought it would be fitting to do our first dance be on ice (Dec. 30th so winter wedding). He played hockey and I can skate decently well, so we figured we would just take lessons. BUT what I wanted to ask was does anyone have any idea on a good way to plan a reception where our first dance is on ice. We will have about 250-300 people and struggling to figure out the smoothest and best way to do a figure skating dance on ice (I may need to change out/ in my dress) with that amount of people...do I find an Ice rink and just have some people come? then meet everyone at the reception a bit later? record it and put it on a screen at the reception? do I do the first dance first then everyone go to reception after (too much driving/moving?) or have the reception at the ice arena (which may be difficult to find). suggestions? is this going to be practical? Any ideas would be helpful...i have only been to 1 wedding before...

27 Comments

• PressTheStarKey
    VIP November 2016
    PressTheStarKey ·
    • Flag

This seems like a lot.

• Celia Milton
    December 2019
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

Record it. Love the idea!

• AlwaysMs.
    VIP May 2018
    AlwaysMs. ·
    • Flag

Not practical. Do e-pics at a rink if you want.

• Jaimee
    Master October 2019
    Jaimee ·
    • Flag

I think this idea is cute. I think your best bet would be to record it and then play it at the reception for everyone to see.

• MelissaErin
    Master December 2016
    MelissaErin ·
    • Flag

I don't think you should make your guests go to three locations. maybe do your first look on an ice rink and then go to the reception

• B
    Brecken ·
    • Flag

So if I record it, do I do it on our wedding day or before? I am guessing before ....we could I guess do an actual first dance while it is showing....maybe?

• Autumn
    VIP October 2017
    Autumn ·
    • Flag

This is a cute idea but seems to be a big pain to try and do the dance on the day of your wedding. If you're really set on it though, I would record it and then have it play on a screen during a traditional 'first dance' like you suggested

• fallinthegarden
    Master October 2017
    fallinthegarden ·
    • Flag

Honestly, there is no good way to do that besides videotaping it. Even then, it will be a lot of money and time spent.

Driving to an ice rink just for a dance is so extra, for lack of a better word. Holding your reception at an ice rink means you will either be outside, which is a terrible decision in December, or are limited to indoor ice rinks, which are not equipped to host weddings.

Also, do you have any figure skating experience? It's not easy. And assuming you follow through on this idea, you would definitely need to not be wearing a wedding dress.

• AlwaysMs.
    VIP May 2018
    AlwaysMs. ·
    • Flag

People want to see your actual first dance, not a movie of your first skate. It's meaningful for you guys, which is cute, but having guests watch movies of the two of you seems awfully AWish to me. I don't that is at all how you are meaning it so I would go with epics or (an awesome idea) a first look at a rink.

• Jaimee
    Master October 2019
    Jaimee ·
    • Flag

I would record it before and then have it play at the reception. It could be a backdrop for a live first dance you do for your guests at the actual reception, as to avoid them just sitting there and watching the whole thing.

• B
    Brecken ·
    • Flag

I appreciate the posts that people are posting, I agree that it is not practical, but I posted this in hopes that others may have ideas. I do think recording it and playing during our live first dance would be a great option.

Amanda, we both ice skate very well, but neither of us actually "figure skate" but we always "dance" on ice for fun, I am aware it is difficult and I would need to change. I just thought it would be different and fun for us to take lessons doing something we love and tuning up the skills we both have.

I like the first look idea, it would be wonderful and practical but but I think I want to do the first look traditionally at the alter.

• RealLifeBride
    Super January 2017
    RealLifeBride ·
    • Flag

This is not going to be practical. You could do the ice dance before hand and show it on a screen during your actual dance. But even the logistics of doing a private Ice dance would require lessons, practice time, an empty rink a video Grapher, then a screen, in the reception hall etc. It's a nice idea but not practical.

• AlwaysMs.
    VIP May 2018
    AlwaysMs. ·
    • Flag

I obviously have the UO on this , so consider this just being devil's advocate so you think it through. So if you record it before, it is not actually your "first dance", it's you guys ice dancing before you got married. What's the point? This is why the whole thing seems AWish to me. It's just something that guests are supposed to think is amazing and/or cute, but it distracts attention from your actual first dance, which does have some symbolic meaning. If you want to do it, go ahead obviously. I just would be confused as a guest as to why I am watching a movie of you guys ice dancing on a random day, unless the point is to show off, which it isn't.

• BoudreauToBe
    Master July 2018
    BoudreauToBe ·
    • Flag

Where are you located? It will cost you a pretty penny, but see if you can hold your reception at the closest arena that houses a hockey team. I work for an arena in CT that is home to a minor league hockey team, and we do banquets on the floor of the arena all the time for large companies in the area. Generally the floor is put on top of the ice, so maybe they can leave a section off for you to skate on.

The issue comes with union costs, since most arenas are union buildings and they will have to be there to work lighting and sound. It's a pretty cool experience if you have the budget though.

• Mrs.KatieK
    Master September 2016
    Mrs.KatieK ·
    • Flag

IMO, even *if* you do record it before hand and playing *during* the actual first dance, it will take away from the special moment of the "live" first dance. Guests will go from watching you, to watching the video, to watching you.

Could you possibly have someone take some photos of you and your FH ice skating (like, doing any special moves) and maybe make them part of your table numbers.

• kimmyinjapan
    VIP September 2016
    kimmyinjapan ·
    • Flag

If your set on this, you'd probably need to have your reception at an ice rink. It isn't practical to go to an ice rink just for a skate and recording it before will mean it isn't your first dance/skate, unless it's after the ceremony. If that's the case, your losing out on picture time during cocktail hour to do it.

• B
    Brecken ·
    • Flag

I am located Perrysburg/ Bowling green/ Toledo area. I really like that idea, but you are right, it completely depends on price. There are a bunch of ice arenas in the area but I would have no idea on pricing would be for that, and I am not sure if the arenas offer it. Thank you for your comment...

I agree with where you are coming from AlwaysMs. but I am not sure in general what to do. I would absolutely love to do something different and something that means something to us. That is why I posted this to see if anyone had options for us. Just trying to be creative and unique, i do see your point. Just hoping to make it work really, or see how I can make it work.

• fsumissa
    Super March 2017
    fsumissa ·
    • Flag

Starkey just posted her BAM and her venue had an ice rink, not sure if you saw it.

• Janeen
    Master January 2015
    Janeen ·
    • Flag

To be honest, this is impractical and too much. Take your enagagement pictures on ice. That will be super cute. But you don't need to dance on ice. Your wedding isn't a performance.

• Ally
    Expert September 2017
    Ally ·
    • Flag

Record it. Seems like to much of a hassle to have everyone come there and then to the reception hall.

Comment on this discussion