onawho
VIP August 2015

finger nails...what are you doing?

onawho, on April 22, 2015 at 8:25 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 30
Saved

I have very nice nails. They are strong, will grow to a nice length and look pretty manicured. But I am worried about chipping one before the wedding or breaking one and having it shorter than the rest.

I was thinking of either pink and whites, but then a friend told me they are not good for your natural nails since they file the tops of them (?) and to go with Shellack.

Has any one done shellack? Am I even spelling that correctly?

What ever I do, it needs to hold up for at least a week before the wedding since its a DW.

SHOW ME YOUR PRETTY NAILS! or ideas!

TIA!

30 Comments

Latest activity by Sparkles, on April 22, 2015 at 9:25 PM
  • MJBride
    VIP July 2015
    MJBride ·
    • Flag

I always do shellac, it's better for your nails than gels. Gels they file your nails down waaaay too much. I had gels for my engagement pics and October and they weren't "healthy" again until March. I did shellac in March, they only gently rough your nails up so it stays better. My shellac lasted 3 weeks before I went to have it taken off because they kept growing, but no chips.

• K
    Savvy April 2016
    Katie ·
    • Flag

Or use Jamberrys! They have some really pretty wedding ones.

• Susan
    Master March 2015
    Susan ·
    • Flag

I had gels put on for mine, they looked nice. I came home from honeymoon and had them removed and 2 weeks later I am still chipping glue off. Never again.

• Future Mrs. D
    Expert May 2015
    Future Mrs. D ·
    • Flag

Following! Wedding is in 9 days. My nails are not strong at all and break easily so I need some sort of "fake" nail option. Plus, I also need to figure out design or sparkle.

• KitandKaboodle
    Master November 2016
    KitandKaboodle ·
    • Flag

#1 My nails

#2 This will be on my ring finger

#3 My girls nails (for now, but this could change)

• JaKLyn
    Master November 2015
    JaKLyn ·
    • Flag

I'm using Jamberry wraps. I've finally broken my nail biting habit so my natural nails are actually healthy again. The thought of them even gently roughing up my nails at this point makes me cringe. I'm going to use a metallic or glittery gold on my fingers then use the white/gold on my ring finger.

• K
    Savvy April 2016
    Katie ·
    • Flag

Https://www.pinterest.com/pin/538461699170194455/ here are some examples of Jamberrys you could use for the wedding

• onawho
    VIP August 2015
    onawho ·
    • Flag

Does shellack need a longer nail? or will it extend past the natural nail length?

I will also look into Jamberry. I do not know much about them.

The ladies that mentioned the gels and the glue...thank you for sharing, I will avoid that.

• karebear87
    VIP May 2015
    karebear87 ·
    • Flag

Shellac is awsome. I had french manicure shellac done for my friends wedding and it lasted almost 2 weeks. (I usually chip a regular french manicure the first day)

It doesn't extend you nail though. You can get Gel nails that will do that. Just make sure if you get shellac done don't peel it off. It ruins your nails. You can get the salon to do it or or soak them in nail polish remover - you just have to make sure it has acetone in it.

• MJBride
    VIP July 2015
    MJBride ·
    • Flag

Shellac is just nail polish in a way. They apply tons of coats and you put your nails under the light after each coat. I think the last time I had them done they applied 7 coats of the shellac polish

• Mrs. Nicole
    Master May 2016
    Mrs. Nicole ·
    • Flag

Following. I chew my fingernails to an embarrassing low.

• B
    Super August 2015
    Buttons125 ·
    • Flag

The makers of Shellac have something called Vinylux which is essentially super long wearing nail polish that you can do at home. Also if you're pretty good at doing nails the at home gel nail kits using LED lights by Sensationail or Gelish or Red Carpet manicure are pretty amazing. No UV lights like at the salon and they are soak off gel polishes so you don't have to hammer away at them to get them off like at the salon. Orly gel has some really pretty bride themed colors...the last one I wore was a nice pink called Kiss the Bride. Loved it. Sensationail gel you can get at any drugstore, red carpet manicure gel you can get at ulta, and Gelish and Orly are sold at Sally Beauty.

• Brit12
    Expert March 2016
    Brit12 ·
    • Flag

I would suggest Shellac. It's fantasic. This might sound crazy but I would start finding a good place now. I've gotten shellac for the last two years and I JUST found my favorite place and their shellac lasts up to 4 weeks. Most places lasts 2, but mine would always start to peel just before 2 weeks.

But definitely say shellac is the way to go, and start getting them done a bit on the regular so you're used to it, and your nails are healthy and long (if that's what you want) for the wedding!! Jealous you're having a DW, good luck!!

• NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Master August 2015
    NotAllWhoWanderAreLost ·
    • Flag

I usually do Gel if I get them done, and would suggest a french if you go that route since it doesn't look as bad when it grows out.

This is what I am thinking for my nails for the wedding, except in silver.

• sweller15
    Devoted May 2015
    sweller15 ·
    • Flag

I agree with Brit12 - start getting a shellac manicure a few weeks before the wedding to make sure your nails are long and strong. My nails are usually long and nice, but every once in awhile I break one and it just ruins the look so I have been getting shellac manicures every two weeks for the past month to make sure I don't have a broken nail for the wedding. Mine last about two weeks before the growth starts bothering me or the polish starts trying to peel up from the bottom, but I have never had a chip with it.

• KellyM
    Super November 2015
    KellyM ·
    • Flag

I'm going with shellac. is the best!!!

• Happily Married
    Super August 2015
    Happily Married ·
    • Flag

I will probably get fake nails, thats the only way i have nails.. i always bite mine.. its been years since i had them none, but i never really had a problem with them destroying my actual nails. we i decide to take them off, i take them off myself, and just put a nail strengther on top. I will be doing some form of turquoise/purple polish to go with my colors

• onawho
    VIP August 2015
    onawho ·
    • Flag

Ok, I will start getting shellac done this weekend so I can try different places and get used to it.

There are tons of places in Tampa to try out.

Thanks girls!

• Marisslee
    VIP June 2015
    Marisslee ·
    • Flag

My nails aren't very strong but I ALWAYS use shellac - I love it. Highly reccommend it.

• alyshadanielle
    Master April 2015
    alyshadanielle ·
    • Flag

I got acrylic but they used color powder instead of painting them. I loved them. I have super short nails so I had to go with fake instead of just polish.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics