Jessica
Beginner June 2021

Favors...yes or no?

Jessica, on December 9, 2019 at 7:53 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 1 29
Saved
Future hubby and I think we found our dream venue yesterday! Only problem is it’s slightly over our budget for a venue...we know we’ll have to cut something out. My first thought was favors. I know all the weddings I’ve been to, I end up throwing the favors out.

My question is...are favors necessary? Will I look like I don’t appreciate my guests if I don’t give them a token of thanks the day of?

29 Comments

Latest activity by Chanieish, on December 10, 2019 at 9:07 AM
  • V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    They aren't necessary at all. We did favors, but that's because we wanted to and we had the extra money to do so.
  • Amber
    Master February 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag

Favors are definitely not necessary! You can skip them altogether and no one will miss them (most guests probably won't even notice) Smiley smile

• MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag

Absolutely cut favors, no one cares. There are VERY few people who need or want the most common favors, especially if they have someone else's names/date/etc. on them. Treat your guests as best you can with a nice meal, beverages, dancing and fun, and they will be more than happy!

• Jocelyn
    Devoted December 2019
    Jocelyn ·
    • Flag

Nope not necessary! I bought mints off etsy that say "mint to be" For each plate seating but I only paid $40 for over 100.

• Eri
    Super October 2020
    Eri ·
    • Flag

As PPs mentioned, they're not necessary at all! Your guests won't miss them. Smiley smile

• Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    Nah. Don’t waste your money. They won’t be missed.
  • Vannesa
    Expert October 2021
    Vannesa ·
    • Flag

A lot of guests throw them out anyways totally not an expense to be made if you don't have the extra money or want to spend the extra money

• Cher Horowitz
    Master December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·
    • Flag

Feel more than welcome to cut the favors! The reception is a thank you to guests anyway Smiley smile

• Catherine
    VIP November 2019
    Catherine ·
    • Flag

No you don't have to!!

a nice alternative would be to donate to a charity in lieu of favors. then at the place settings just have a small card that says something like "thank you for sharing our amazing day with us! in lieu of favors we have donated to (insert charity of your choice) in honor of our guests. "

• Meghan
    Master October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

Cut the favors! They are not necessary and guests will not even notice not receiving one. I always end up throwing my favors away.

• Cherry
    Expert February 2020
    Cherry ·
    • Flag

I think you have your answer - no need for favors. We were planning on doing favors but after researching, we learned people just don't care about favors unless they're edible. (Search Reddit to see what people truly think about wedding favors.) So if you want to provide a little station with cookies or cupcakes or candies or something like that (and can keep it low cost) that would be the max effort needed for favors. But if you don't care, and you're throwing a kick-@$$ party anyway, then nix them. Nobody will miss them.

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I'd say they aren't. I had a whole table of candy for the favors and not many took it at all. I had so much left over
  • L
    Lady ·
    • Flag

Favors are totally not necessary - don't even give it another thought if you need to cut something!

• Sherry
    Master September 2019
    Sherry ·
    • Flag

Favors are definitely not required. If you have them, great. If not, chances are no one will miss them or even notice.

• Monica
    VIP October 2021
    Monica ·
    • Flag
    Im not doing favors! I didn’t include them in my planning or budgeting. I just really saw no need for them. No one is going to keep the favor forever unless its something of use. I throw away favors after a while so just spend the money on something else.
  • Sarah
    Savvy October 2020
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    I’m not doing favors. If things end up being cheaper than I think they will be (LOL fat chance), I’m considering making a donation to a local animal shelter and just naming it in honor of my guests.
  • Soon To Be Mrs. Stewart
    Devoted August 2022
    Soon To Be Mrs. Stewart ·
    • Flag
    No definitely not, favors are not necessary at all. If your guest are there for you they won’t be worried about not getting favors. Most of the weddings I’ve been too I either didn’t take the favor or it ended up getting tossed later own.
  • G
    Dedicated August 2021
    Gianna ·
    • Flag

I wouldn't do favors! I was at a wedding last month and even though the favors were already at the place seatings, I completely forgot to take it home.

• Aimee
    Super July 2021
    Aimee ·
    • Flag
    IMO, it’s an unnecessary expense. You will have lots more expenses beside the venue so save your $
  • Brittney
    Dedicated March 2022
    Brittney ·
    • Flag
    Thank you for this question. this was something that I actually wanted to know myself. The favors that I was looking into was going to cost about $300 or more. So after reading all of the post. I am really considering cutting out altogether. Congratulations on finding your dream venue

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics