We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Michelle
Rockstar October 2022

Favorite Wedding Cake Flavors?

Michelle, on April 7, 2021 at 5:56 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 33
Saved Save

What were your favorites at your tastings or weddings attended in the past? What are you planning to go with?

33 Comments

Latest activity by Grace, on April 21, 2021 at 1:39 PM
  • Heather
    Devoted October 2021
    Heather ·
    • Flag

Anything chocolate! But I also really did like the ones filled with strawberry filling. I liked it when there are options for flavors at weddings because not everyone likes vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, etc. Also it helps those who may have an allergy!

• Alejandra
    Super March 2019
    Alejandra ·
    • Flag

I tried to do a little bit of different flavors for our wedding:

We tried champagne cake ( excited about it but was not pleased with the taste), red velvet which I don't like, lemon cake was amazing, coconut was too but these flavors might have bee liked by just a handful of people at our wedding. We tried others but this was back in 2018 and I don't remember. We chose strawberry cake with a strawberry mousse filling for our bottom tier it was so good and everyone loved it. We chose chocolate with whipped cream for the middle tier and for the top tier was a marble cake with raspberry and chocolate ganache. All tiers were cut for my wedding, our baker made us a free one for our one year anniversary. All cakes were a hit although some people did say that the chocolate seemed plain in comparison to the others but the diabetics in our families loved it as it was not overly sweet. I have a nut allergy so there was a limit as to what I could have in it as well, I did however want everyone to enjoy the cake no matter what so having the different flavors like this was definitely the best way to go!

• Gabby
    Dedicated October 2021
    Gabby ·
    • Flag
    I usually like yellow cake normally but I love strawberry or lemon wedding cake. Our baker made the best strawberry cupcake ive ever had
  • mrswinteriscoming
    Rockstar December 2021
    mrswinteriscoming ·
    • Flag

We are having 3 tiers, the two smaller tiers being lemon and poppyseed and the bottom (and largest) tier being chocolate hazelnut.

I like balanced flavours and I didn’t want anything sickly sweet so we deliberately chose flavours that we liked but which would also please the crowd.

• Rosie
    Devoted September 2021
    Rosie ·
    • Flag

Okay so, I'd read all these 'real wedding' columns where people would have earl grey tea and lemon cream cheese frosting, or elderberry and gin flavoured cake or whatever, and I wanted something fun and different like that, but we couldn't find anywhere which had anything like that!

We did a few tastings and everywhere had mudcake (I understand it's not common everywhere, but mudcake is a very dense, heavy cake, almost like the inside of a brownie) - and to be honest, I don't like it. It's too heavy, too decadent, and we are already offering dessert as it's part of our catering package, so a big heavy cake would be way too much.

So, there wasn't a lot to choose from which wasn't mudcake.

In the end, the best tasting cake was a banana cake, which sounds so basic! Like the kind of cheap cake you get for morning tea at work!

But it was delicious. There was also a strawberry and white cake which was kind of pink and cream like our wedding colours, so we're having a tier of that as well.

• Rebecca
    Rockstar August 2019
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

I am the person who takes chocolate ice cream, puts chocolate sauce on it, and then chocolate toppings, and then MORE chocolate toppings.

This is very true with cake, as well.

Honestly, I don't like messing up my perfectly good chocolate with other flavors... but DH likes yellow cake, so we did a marbled cake with dark chocolate filling. Which was tasty!

I'll skip cake if it doesn't have chocolate, personally. Though a lot of this is sugar content. I'm very sensitive to sugar and if the cake is very sweet, I can't eat it.

• JM Sunshine
    August 2020
    JM Sunshine ·
    • Flag
    I love cookies and cream mousse filling either with chocolate or vanilla cake and hate anything with fruit flavored filling.
  • A
    Dedicated October 2021
    Ayla ·
    • Flag

We are doing strawberry guava! We were expecting to go with something chocolate but we were surprised at how good the strawberry guava was. At other weddings I usually prefer chocolate, but will eat any flavor as long as it doesn't have fondant.

• Kristin
    Devoted December 2021
    Kristin ·
    • Flag
    So my dad is making our cake and I told him he has free reign 😂 but so far his plan is a strawberry shortcake base, flourless chocolate cake middle layer, and strawberry shortcake top layer. The whole cake will be covered in a whipped cream icing so that it doesn’t melt/run (dang Florida heat)
  • Monica
    Super October 2021
    Monica ·
    • Flag
    My MIL is a baker. My favorites are: regular white cake with fresh strawberries, tres leches, marble cake with mocha mousse filling, and marble with chocolate mousse. All cakes with fresh whipping cream on top, no fondant. Fondant looks good but its not really for eating.
  • E
    Expert July 2023
    Eniale ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I have to reply here that I LOVE banana cake, and I would be so ecstatic as a guest to find it at a wedding.

• Michelle
    Devoted April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

I love honey and lavender when i tried it with the people making my cake. We ended up getting a 3 tiered cake of different flavors (honey and lavender being one of them) and 2 different cheesecakes

• E
    Expert July 2023
    Eniale ·
    • Flag

My favorite from our wedding was chocolate with dark chocolate ganache and cherry preserves.

I honestly was very skeptical. But our baker, who was a friend/colleague of my husband, insisted that this was his best flavor, his pride and joy, the one he personally brings to family gatherings to impress.

So I tried it, and I 100% agreed. There was something very special about this cake. It wasn't overly sweet like raspberry filling often ends up being, but it also wasn't super dense like chocolate with chocolate can be. It was a perfect balance of mild sweetness, mild tart-fruity, and a great density. I made it the bottom tier (the largest and also the one we fed each other) because I loved it so much. I had other flavors, but everyone ended up choosing the chocolate-cherry. It was also the flavor he made our one-year anniversary cake in.

We haven't done any tastings yet for our vow renewal, it's quite a ways off, but from the primary baker we're eying, they have an almond cake with dark chocolate and hazelnut praline, and a dark chocolate cake with orange marmalade. These are what I'm leaning toward. I love chocolate with orange (like Terry's oranges and other orange-infused chocolate bars).

• Lisa
    Super October 2021
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    We haven’t done our tasting yet. But my fiancé is super picky. We’ll likely end up with chocolate cake with cookies & cream filling. I’ve never had this combo at a wedding but you can’t go wrong! We’ll still do a tasting and maybe add in a second combo like red velvet & cream cheese frosting or vanilla cake with strawberry filling.
  • Rosie
    Devoted September 2021
    Rosie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Aww, thank you! It's nice to hear someone out there likes banana! Hopefully some of our guests will feel the same!

• Rosie
    Devoted September 2021
    Rosie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Aww man! I wanted to try things like this! Strawberry guava sounds amazing! I wish we'd been able to find interesting flavours!

• Rosie
    Devoted September 2021
    Rosie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Honey lavender sounds incredible. That's the kind of fancy flavour I wanted to have. I guess Australia just isn't adventurous when it comes to cakes!

• Rosie
    Devoted September 2021
    Rosie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That cake sounds so, so good. Kind of like a Black Forrest cake. I would totally have been down for a flavour like that.

• Fred (Frédolino)
    Expert April 2022
    Fred (Frédolino) ·
    • Flag

I don't know if a mint wedding cake is a thing (I've never seen/tasted this at a wedding) but I definitely want 1 mint-flavored tier , I love mint so baaaaaaaaad and my partner knows it. However: she doesn't like this flavor , so I think we will be going with a 3-tier cake with mint + 1 (or 2) other flav. , I'll let her choose the other flav. (or the other 2).

• C
    Just Said Yes October 2021
    Carolyn ·
    • Flag

At our tasting we could not decide on our favorite so we decided for a medium size cake (choc chip cake with vanilla custard filling on one layer and cannoli filling on the 2nd layer with cream cheese buttercream frosting) and cupcakes in 3 different flavor combinations: choc chip cake with vanilla custard filling and choc ganache frosting; carrot cake with cinnamon cream cheese frosting; and choc chip cake with cannoli frosting.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics