We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Carlie
Just Said Yes October 2021

Father of the bride and father of the groom attire

Carlie, on September 15, 2020 at 1:58 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 30
Saved Save
Hi! Just wondering what everyone is having the fathers wear?? I have seen where the fathers wear the same as groom but I’m not sure! My future FIL wants to wear a gray tux? The tux’s for groomsmen will be navy blue and my FH will differ in the fact that he will be wearing a jacket and a different tie.

30 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on September 16, 2020 at 2:50 PM
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

Your fathers should wear whatever they want, it's their choice.

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    Our dads wore different things. I just let them choose whatever
  • Carlie
    Just Said Yes October 2021
    Carlie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Our fathers would show up in jeans if they had a choice lol, so that won’t be an option. They asked me what I want them to wear so I’m getting suggestions. A lot of other places I have asked said that they should be similar to the groom and groomsmen.
  • Ashley
    Super October 2020
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    We had the fathers do the same tux as the groomsmen
  • C
    VIP January 2019
    Cassidy ·
    • Flag
    My fathers had the same tux as the groomsmen with complimenting vest/tie. Groomsmen had powder blue and dads wore silver both with black jacket and pants.
    Husband wore black pants with white jacket and black vest/tie
  • A
    Devoted October 2021
    Adrienne ·
    • Flag

If the groom/groomsmen are wearing tuxes, then the fathers could also wear tuxes, they don't have to be the same color or anything, I think then you'd run into the problem of them looking too much like the groomsmen. I know that my future FIL didn't think he'd wear a tux, but when he found out my dad might have been, then he didn't want to be outdressed lol.

• Cassandra
    Dedicated March 2021
    Cassandra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Same for my dad. The only time he is not in jeans is when my mom tells him what to wear. I might have him rent a suit that is similar to the groomsmen just with a different vest. But that will be something I was going to figure out once my FH and I go to men's wearhouse and see the suits in person as I only have a ruff idea what we are looking for.
  • Molly
    Rockstar September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag

My dad wore jeans and short sleeve button down shirt.

• Sexypoodle
    Master October 2021
    Sexypoodle ·
    • Flag
    Our parents are going to wear whatever they choose.
  • Molly
    Devoted August 2021
    Molly ·
    • Flag

We plan on offering our dads (my dad and stepdad and FH's dad) the option to rent the same tuxes as the groomsmen. I would give it as an option but, also allow them to wear what they feel comfortable with as long as it's not casual (as it sounds like jeans aren't the formality you're looking for)

• Kayla
    Devoted November 2020
    Kayla ·
    • Flag

We semi gave our dads a choice. We told them we'd like them to be in suits to match the formality of the event. After talking my dad out of a pineapple suite, they both decided they just wanted to rent the same suit as the GM. We just picked them out different colored ties so differentiate them a bit.

• Taran
    Expert September 2020
    Taran ·
    • Flag
    FH and the groomsman are wearing navy suits and we just asked the dads to wear a suit only because they already own them
  • Meghan
    Rockstar October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

We let our dad's pick their own suits.

• Emma
    Super October 2020
    Emma ·
    • Flag
    FH is wearing navy, my dad picked a grey suit, and FH dad is wearing navy
  • Katie
    Dedicated October 2021
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    We’ll probably have the dad wear a different suit than the groomsman but one that will look nice together. I think the groomsmen will wear blue and dads maybe in light gray. I think we’ll also have them wear neck ties instead of bow ties like the groomsmen. And their ties will match what our moms are wearing
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I told the dad's to wear whatever they wanted. We gifted my FIL a tie for the wedding. Here is a picture of my husband in the middle, my dad on the right, and my father in law on the left.

Father of the bride and father of the groom attire 1

• K
    Expert October 2020
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Our dads are the same way so we just asked them to find suits that they like in whatever color they were comfortable in. I did not want them to match the wedding party. I did the same for our mothers and asked them not to wear our bridal colors so that they stood out from my girls.
  • Hannah
    Rockstar July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    Our dads just wore suits they already owned.
  • Chelsea
    Beginner November 2021
    Chelsea ·
    • Flag

Our dads are wearing the same black tuxes as the groom and best man. Do not feel bad asking them to wear something specific.

• Reena
    Expert February 2021
    Reena ·
    • Flag
    The groomsmen are wearing a light gray tux. My dad will be in a charcoal tux.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles